Pineider 6 Pen Case

bemon

I received the Pineider 6 pen case today I ordered a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it. If anyone's in the market for one and have questions, ask away!

fpn_1598553331__1.jpg

fpn_1598553353__2.jpg

fpn_1598553371__3.jpg

fpn_1598553388__4.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• JohnUphill

• sansenri

• Chimera01

Your pictures answered my question, I see it has two magnets. Thanks!

Sure does- not very strong though it's worth noting. They hold the flap shut but it takes very little effort to open the case.

I have their 12 pen case I use for desktop organization. I use Franklin Christoph 3 pen cases on the go. I am thinking of buying the 6 pen as a gift. Thanks for your reply.

I have their 12 pen case I use for desktop organization. I use Franklin Christoph 3 pen cases on the go. I am thinking of buying the 6 pen as a gift. Thanks for your reply.

No problem! I generally use a Van Der Spek 4 pen case, but wanted a 6 pen option. I like the blue leather and I like that this more easily fits larger pens. On the other hand some smaller pens rattle around in it. I still need to live with it for a while to really form an opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about buying the 6 or the 12 pen version. Please do not try this but do you think if the case was held upside down with pens would the flap open easily?

What is the largest pen you have tried with the case that is loose (not snug) in the slot?

I am having a hard time with cases. I bought an Aston leather 10 pen case and I don't like the elastic straps...feels harsh on my more expensive pens...and of course you cannot fit 10 large pens in that case.

Thinking about buying the 6 or the 12 pen version. Please do not try this but do you think if the case was held upside down with pens would the flap open easily?

What is the largest pen you have tried with the case that is loose (not snug) in the slot?

I am having a hard time with cases. I bought an Aston leather 10 pen case and I don't like the elastic straps...feels harsh on my more expensive pens...and of course you cannot fit 10 large pens in that case.

As a matter of fact, I did try! The thought occurred to me too. The magnets held when the case was tipped upside down, but I don't know if the weight of 12 pens in the larger case would make a difference. As far as I know both cases use the same two magnets.

The only pen I've got in there that fits snugly is a Montblanc 149, everything else kind of moves around. So you get an idea of what really fits, currently it's carrying:

MB 149,

Edison Collier

GVFC Classic

Pilot VP

Waterman Carene

Pelikan M805.

All of those pens except the MB rattle around in their slots, even the Collier which is a decently large pen. I'm not a big fan of pens coming into contact with one another, but I had to try and discovered that the GVFC and Waterman can actually share a slot. Not that I would do so as general practice. But that should give you an idea of the available space.

I agree that the Aston's straps feel harsh. I've got their 6 pen case in brown and will most likely sell it. Most of my pens rattle around in the Pineider case, but at least it's lined with a felt-like material on 3 sides and the pens are divided by thick barriers. So really they're just sliding around on soft material.

It's worth noting that the Pineider product feels a bit flimsy as a hard case and isn't likely to provide much genuine protection. I've always used soft sided leather cases so it's a non issue to me. But if you were looking for hard case protection this may not be the answer.

While it's a nice looking case and well put together, it does not have many of the ideal functional qualities of the Visconti version. There are 2 specific areas that does NOT work.

1. As a hard case, it is very exacting of pen sizes. As the case has no stretch, if the pen cannot fit, it cannot fit. The Visconti 6 pen case is probably the most versatile pen case I have. The little give the leather has allows the user to squeeze a slightly large pen with no ill effect to either the pen or the case.

2. The sloping ends on the top and bottom might look elegant, but functionally is very troublesome when on the move. When you put the case in your bag, it does not want to stand up. It is frustrating as hell and you end up putting the case on the side. That is not really as ideal because if you were out and walking a lot or running about, you'd find ink in your pen caps.

It seems like this case was an initial output from Dante to mimic as many of the successful product lines from the stuff he created at Visconti. Unfortunately it's a nice looking case that is only pretty but functionally flawed.

While it's a nice looking case and well put together, it does not have many of the ideal functional qualities of the Visconti version. There are 2 specific areas that does NOT work.

1. As a hard case, it is very exacting of pen sizes. As the case has no stretch, if the pen cannot fit, it cannot fit. The Visconti 6 pen case is probably the most versatile pen case I have. The little give the leather has allows the user to squeeze a slightly large pen with no ill effect to either the pen or the case.

2. The sloping ends on the top and bottom might look elegant, but functionally is very troublesome when on the move. When you put the case in your bag, it does not want to stand up. It is frustrating as hell and you end up putting the case on the side. That is not really as ideal because if you were out and walking a lot or running about, you'd find ink in your pen caps.

It seems like this case was an initial output from Dante to mimic as many of the successful product lines from the stuff he created at Visconti. Unfortunately it's a nice looking case that is only pretty but functionally flawed.

You make some good points, but the problem with exacting spaces for pen sizes creates the opposite problem for me. The widest pen I have is a Delta DoceVita which still fits. Unless one's collection is made up of nothing but oversized pens, max available space won't be a problem. The issue is that smaller pens tend to rattle around. I have a 4 pen case from VanDerSpek leather that I prefer I think because it seems a little better made. Like your Visconti case it'll also accommodate a pen that's wider than it's design is intended to allow.

As for the sloping ends, all my pen cases are either parked on their sides flat on my desk while in use or propped up in my brief when I'm on the go or when the pens aren't in use. Kind of like this. Come to think of it, I don't know if I own a single pen case that would stand up by it'self.

fpn_1600101158__img_7838.jpg

So the shape doesn't make a difference for me. I kind of like it, but it certainly won't stand up on it's own without propping it up. If you're carrying this case in a laptop bag or briefcase, you'll be fine. But to Gerigo's point if you're looking for a pen case that'll stand up like a box of Crayons, this is certainly not it.

My major take away- and I was prepared for this before I bought it from reading reviews- is that it's just not that substantial for the price. It's bones feel weak if you know what I mean. And it feels like I could effortlessly peel apart the edges to reveal glue and most likely cardboard.

What might have been a nice touch to make it worth it's price would have been to stitch the case together and maybe provide some interior inserts that match the inside material so that smaller pens fit more securely.

Obviously anyone can come up with their own interior shims, but again. For the price a more robust construction and some added interior features would go a long way.

Edited by bemon

The Pineider 12 pen case has three magnets and it passed the tip test suggested above. I use mine to carry from one workspace to another around the house. On the go, I rarely carry more than three pens in my satchel and I use a 3 pen Franklin-Christoph case, which also fits in most shirt pockets.

Looks nice, and reminds me of the Fedon rigid cases.

Do you know whether it is made of aluminium inside?

Rigid cases are my favourites when travelling, sometimes my back pack can really get cramped with hard stuff (notebook and other PC accessories), and I've been more than once afraid to break a pen in a soft holder.

I have broken my glasses once exactly like that, in a soft pen holder...crushed by all the weight...

Looks nice, and reminds me of the Fedon rigid cases.

Do you know whether it is made of aluminium inside?

Rigid cases are my favourites when travelling, sometimes my back pack can really get cramped with hard stuff (notebook and other PC accessories), and I've been more than once afraid to break a pen in a soft holder.

I have broken my glasses once exactly like that, in a soft pen holder...crushed by all the weight...

Thanks. It's definitely a good looking case, but I don't think it's framed with anything nearly as substantial as aluminum. It feels like it's cardboard to be honest, but someone here may know the brand better. I wouldn't treat this one as a rigid case, more so a stylish oft case with aspirations.

• 1 year later...

I just took delivery of the 12 pen version. My Sailor KOPs and Pelikan M1000 all fit nicely. It feels secure but not overly snug. Compared to other cases I've seen I think it's a good case for the price point. I bought the serpentine green, which appears to me more like a dark grey-green than anything I would actually call green. All I can say is I've been carrying it around for a few days, it does the job and I'm delighted.