Efnir: De Atramentis Document Black

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: De Atramentis Document Black

This is review #37 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Dry time was more than 30 seconds! I did not try counting longer than that to determine more precisely.

Cleaning was a bear: pen flush, Q-Tip scrubbing, sonicator. The ink did come off, but not easily.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.DeAtramentisDocumentBlack.jpg.f10912c80bb3cafbcb15572da9c87aab.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.DeAtramentisDocumentBlackS.jpg.4895aa037d5c7942b358a0d0c975e006.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.DeAtramentisDocumentBlackZ.jpg.1b44ed5d56f5cddc659a63330081fbe6.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.DeAtramentisDocumentBlackAP.jpg.b80137cebcf31c78dcaac2cf03092289.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Visconti Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Tas

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, Liz, again :)

I can see that this ink seriously tested your nerves....and that despite the incantations :)

While I'm not a fan of black inks in general, I like the saturation and the shine. It reminds me of Sumi ink.

But I dislike nothing more, when they take their sweet time to dry...

That's an indubitable fact :D

Interesting - Was thinking of trying this, but it seems to be more effort than its worth. Do I really need an ink that will never wash away, even in the great flood? I think not. Writing with a fountain pen is supposed to be enjoyable. :)

Thanks for going through this tough review!

Great review, Liz, again :)

I can see that this ink seriously tested your nerves....and that despite the incantations :)

While I'm not a fan of black inks in general, I like the saturation and the shine. It reminds me of Sumi ink.

But I dislike nothing more, when they take their sweet time to dry...

That's an indubitable fact :D

:D It wasn't nearly so bad writing journal entries (on a Rhodia webbie) as I feared, and yes, the shine and saturation were the most pleasant things about it, and the dry time the least. As I told a poster on reddit - the cleaning was a bear, but it did clean; the dry time was a bigger problem than cleaning.

Interesting - Was thinking of trying this, but it seems to be more effort than its worth. Do I really need an ink that will never wash away, even in the great flood? I think not. Writing with a fountain pen is supposed to be enjoyable. :)

Thanks for going through this tough review!

You're very welcome! I've never tried them, but if I wanted a permanent black ink, I'd try Sailor's and Platinum's to see how they compare. I told that same redditor that my favorite water-resistant inks thus far are Sailor Seiboku and Souboku - they are entirely permanent, didn't clog, weren't as hard to clean, Seiboku is lightfast (suspect Souboku is, but haven't tested), both shade, and neither takes long to dry. :) With that track record, I assume the Sailor nano-pigment black is just as good, or close. And Platinum's gets lots of love, so I'd try it.

With that track record, I assume the Sailor nano-pigment black is just as good, or close. And Platinum's gets lots of love, so I'd try it.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348510-nine-pigment-inks-tested-for-waterproofness/

Sadly, no, Sailor kiwaguro isn't nearly as waterproof as seiboku and souboku, or Platinum Carbon Black for that matter. I can write on my chromatography strips (whether they're cut from filter paper or kitchen paper towels) in Platinum Carbon Black, then steep the annotated part in a beaker of water, and those ink marks just wouldn't budge at all. That said, Platinum Carbon Black is slightly more likely to feather and/or bleed than Sailor kiwaguro, but it isn't a problem on Rhodia 80g/m² paper.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

:D It wasn't nearly so bad writing journal entries (on a Rhodia webbie) as I feared, and yes, the shine and saturation were the most pleasant things about it, and the dry time the least. As I told a poster on reddit - the cleaning was a bear, but it did clean; the dry time was a bigger problem than cleaning.

I think I'll go the Noodler's route, I have several samples waiting patiently..... I have good luck with them in general and easy cleaning in general :)

You're very welcome! I've never tried them, but if I wanted a permanent black ink, I'd try Sailor's and Platinum's to see how they compare. I told that same redditor that my favorite water-resistant inks thus far are Sailor Seiboku and Souboku - they are entirely permanent, didn't clog, weren't as hard to clean, Seiboku is lightfast (suspect Souboku is, but haven't tested), both shade, and neither takes long to dry. :) With that track record, I assume the Sailor nano-pigment black is just as good, or close. And Platinum's gets lots of love, so I'd try it.

Thanks for another one of your cool patented reviews. I was on a recent Black kick, but my essential sinister nature rules this out, due to smearage.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348510-nine-pigment-inks-tested-for-waterproofness/

Sadly, no, Sailor kiwaguro isn't nearly as waterproof as seiboku and souboku, or Platinum Carbon Black for that matter. I can write on my chromatography strips (whether they're cut from filter paper or kitchen paper towels) in Platinum Carbon Black, then steep the annotated part in a beaker of water, and those ink marks just wouldn't budge at all. That said, Platinum Carbon Black is slightly more likely to feather and/or bleed than Sailor kiwaguro, but it isn't a problem on Rhodia 80g/m² paper.

Thank you! I'd forgotten that post. Looks like the Platinum is the way to go if you want waterproof. Maybe I'll test it after all my current inks are done. :)

I think I'll go the Noodler's route, I have several samples waiting patiently..... I have good luck with them in general and easy cleaning in general [:)]

Gotta go with what works. It's been a long time since I tried a bulletproof Noodler's ink - Heart of Darkness (my brother uses this) and Bad Blue Heron are it, I think. We'll get to Heart of Darkness eventually. I think I'm out of Bad Blue Heron (just had a sample).

Thanks for another one of your cool patented reviews. I was on a recent Black kick, but my essential sinister nature rules this out, due to smearage.

You're welcome! Yeah, De Atramentis Document Black would be awful for a lefty - at least on non-absorbent paper.

Its cousin Archival ink is seriously waterproof. Up there with the best of any black fountain pen inks that Ive tried*

*Ive tried a few 😬

Its cousin Archival ink is seriously waterproof. Up there with the best of any black fountain pen inks that Ive tried*

*Ive tried a few

:) Does it dry faster than this one? If so, it might be worth a sample, just for the review series.

You're welcome! Yeah, De Atramentis Document Black would be awful for a lefty - at least on non-absorbent paper.

It depends on the lefty...... ;)

:) Does it dry faster than this one? If so, it might be worth a sample, just for the review series.

Just did a quick test on random Pukka Pad. Smudge wipe dry after 25s.

It depends on the lefty...... ;)

Good point. (Of course, I didn't like it much as a righty, so... :P )

Just did a quick test on random Pukka Pad. Smudge wipe dry after 25s.

Thanks! That's better than this was (hard not to be). Maybe I'll get a sample and try it out - next year, when I'm nearing the end of my current sample collection.

Just discovered today that my link to my "Next Ink Poll" in all these posts is wrong! :headsmack: :( :blush: People familiar with google docs are figuring it out - thank you. But I've corrected the link in my template and will post it here:

Correct Link to Next Ink Poll

I won't go back and repost it in all my threads - I'm sure that would annoy folks. :)

Please accept my apologies if trying to get that poll working frustrated you!

... next year, when I'm nearing the end of my current sample collection.

When in 2021 are you expect that to happen?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

When in 2021 are you expect that to happen?

Well, by the end of March I'll have done 89 reviews... (That's as far as my Hobonichi goes, so I haven't calculated father.) The one in the pen now is #41... That will leave 31 still to go (after March)... At ~7 per month, that means I'll finish, huh, next August sometime. :) Apparently I have a year to go. I'm not sure I wanted to know that. :unsure: :mellow: :P

This assumes that I do all the inks I have - last time I checked, no one had given a single vote to any of the 12 Pilot Parallels inks. If no one is interested in those, I may just leave them out altogether - that would mean I'd finish around the end of June.