New Urushi Pen Day For Me...

Driften

The Tamenuri finishes in my collection are more more interesting to me with all of the depth you see in the layers.

What Driften said.

Edited by whichwatch

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• whichwatch

• EliH

• mongrelnomad

The Tamenuri finishes in my collection are more more interesting to me with all of the depth you see in the layers.

Thank you for the reply, this is exactly why I am so interested in the Toki-tamenuri. The dearth is incredible and I feel like getting a jet black Dorsal fin really robs it of one of its shining features.

I’m glad to hear you see no orange, screens often make it so hard to get a sense of an urushi pen’s true colour.

Were you considering the kuro roiro finish or the matte black hairline? I have seen a hairline dorsal fin, and it looked really nice...

Thank you for the reply, this is exactly why I am so interested in the Toki-tamenuri. The dearth is incredible and I feel like getting a jet black Dorsal fin really robs it of one of its shining features.

I’m glad to hear you see no orange, screens often make it so hard to get a sense of an urushi pen’s true colour.

I was considering the Kurt Roiro. I have never seen one of their matte finishes in person, but I’ll add it to my list of possibilities. I will hold off until I’m able to see these finishes for myself.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Were you considering the kuro roiro finish or the matte black hairline? I have seen a hairline dorsal fin, and it looked really nice...

Those are all gorgeous pens, not just the two new ones. An emperor is on my shortlist, and I would prefer the rings, but I thought that they were unicorns and not worth holding out for. Apparently not, though. How'd you find them on Dromgoole's? I get their regular email, but I get so much email from pen dealers that I don't pay much attention :-(

Those are all gorgeous pens, not just the two new ones. An emperor is on my shortlist, and I would prefer the rings, but I thought that they were unicorns and not worth holding out for. Apparently not, though. How'd you find them on Dromgoole's? I get their regular email, but I get so much email from pen dealers that I don't pay much attention :-(

It came up in a google search and they should have another one by now. I had thought I was getting a M nib, but when they checked their stock it was a B. They said they would have the M in a couple of days and I could have the B that day or wait for the M. Maybe call them.

I was on the fence about the B, but it worked out best for me. On other Pilot gold nib pens the difference between the two sizes is very small and in one case I have a 92 M that writes wider than a 823 B.

I like the Emperor, but I'm still getting used to writing with such a large size nib. Long run I'm happy I have it. Of the two new pens I think I like the Dorsal Fin better and think it's my favorite Nakaya.

I know this doesn't technically count as a "new urushi day" yet, but I am pretty excited as I am waiting on a new Nakaya to arrive. I had been deciding over which one I wanted to get for months (thanks to whichwatch who showed me a number of his lovely pens), and yesterday was browsing nibs.com during a break and saw they had a portable writer in Ama-iro for sale. I don't know how or why they had it as the color has been discontinued (maybe old stock they found, or a return?), but that is one of my favorite colors and as soon as I saw it I purchased it. So, currently waiting on a portable writer Ama-iro with rhodium trim and a broad rhodium nib. Will post a picture once I receive it!

I know this doesn't technically count as a "new urushi day" yet, but I am pretty excited as I am waiting on a new Nakaya to arrive. I had been deciding over which one I wanted to get for months (thanks to whichwatch who showed me a number of his lovely pens), and yesterday was browsing nibs.com during a break and saw they had a portable writer in Ama-iro for sale. I don't know how or why they had it as the color has been discontinued (maybe old stock they found, or a return?), but that is one of my favorite colors and as soon as I saw it I purchased it. So, currently waiting on a portable writer Ama-iro with rhodium trim and a broad rhodium nib. Will post a picture once I receive it!

I really like the my portable cigar. Mine is a ruthenium B nib, actually all of my Nakayas are B. I hope you love yours.

It came up in a google search and they should have another one by now. I had thought I was getting a M nib, but when they checked their stock it was a B. They said they would have the M in a couple of days and I could have the B that day or wait for the M. Maybe call them.

I was on the fence about the B, but it worked out best for me. On other Pilot gold nib pens the difference between the two sizes is very small and in one case I have a 92 M that writes wider than a 823 B.

I like the Emperor, but I'm still getting used to writing with such a large size nib. Long run I'm happy I have it. Of the two new pens I think I like the Dorsal Fin better and think it's my favorite Nakaya.

Thanks for that suggestion! They didn't have stock, but a Vermilion M w/Rings is on the way to their store, then they'll post to me.

Driften: That's really too much for one day, but congratulations!! :D They are both wonderful and I am particularly fond of the Nakaya Dorsal Fin.

Edited by como

For anyone interested, here is an Emperor flanked by Nakaya Dorsal Fin 1 and Dorsal Fin 2. The nib on the Emperor is something to behold! I never thought a Dorsal Fin would seem modest in size!

http://www.fototime.com/%7B1ABBCFE2-6B9F-4432-9892-47197846831A%7D/origpict/IMG_3374.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8E943529-7C25-4CE5-8A68-F43EEDE93FD5%7D/origpict/IMG_3375.jpg

For anyone interested, here is an Emperor flanked by Nakaya Dorsal Fin 1 and Dorsal Fin 2. The nib on the Emperor is something to behold! I never thought a Dorsal Fin would seem modest in size!

Nice picture of the three.....

Here are my urushis... absolutely love the finish.

What is the pen between the sailor and the platinum with the gold band in the center of the section? It's a very cool looking pen.

You have a nice set of Urushi pens...

What is the pen between the sailor and the platinum with the gold band in the center of the section? It's a very cool looking pen.

You have a nice set of Urushi pens...

Its a Hakase burl-wood urushi. The Sailor isnt really a Sailor by the way, but a Stylo Art urushi equipped with a Sailor nib and section.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 6 months later...

My latest Nakaya addition to the family. A 17mm portable cigar in Heki-tamenuri finish. I had wanted it on the piccolo and happy to finally have something in that finish.

Some pics including my current Nakaya family group shot. The static pull of new Urushi sure grabs any dust from the air... so don't mind the dust... sorry

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's very pretty - it has an almost ceramic appearance. Is it warm or cool to the touch?