New Urushi Pen Day For Me...

Driften

I'm excited to get two pens today! Both are Urushi...Here is a hint..

http://www.jeffdellis.com/images/NPD-1.png

The one box is much larger than the other.

http://www.jeffdellis.com/images/NPD-2.png

As you can see I now have a Namiki Emperor #50 Urushi in black with rings. I wasn't sure I wanted the rings model, but the deal at Dromgoole's was too hard to pass up. The other pen is a Nakaya Dorsal Fin v1 in Toki-Tamenuri finish. I wasn't sure about the Toki-Tamenuri finish but I love it. Both pens feel great in hand and to write with. I like the DF's section size better then my other Nakaya pens but I don't think it will keep them from getting love. The Emperor is a joy to use as well. The section just nestles into my fingers and writes with such a light grip on the section.

I was worried I would have to make a pen slip for the Emperor, but it fit perfectly in the Nakaya pen kimono which I have four of. The Dorsal Fin also fits well in my Nock three pen case that I have my portable cigar and decapod in.

More pics... The Dorsal Fin doesn't have a flaw in the finish in the second picture just a smudged finger print.

http://www.jeffdellis.com/images/NPD-4.png

http://www.jeffdellis.com/images/NPD-5.png

Here is my current family of Urushi pens in order of getting them with the newest at the top.

http://www.jeffdellis.com/images/UrushiGroup.png

I'm so happy I just had to share.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• whichwatch

• EliH

• mongrelnomad

Congrats! That's a real "big boy" day of new pens. Now you need a Danitrio... :D

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Congrats! That's a real "big boy" day of new pens. Now you need a Danitrio... :D

I think a Dorsal Fin V2 would come before a Danitrio but you never know. I do think I should spend some time enjoying these two new ones before buying the next. The Emperor might push me into a Danitrio Genkai before another Nakaya.

Beautiful collection!

No where near your collection, but the decapod came from you. You really have some great pens!

You have a beautiful collection.

What is the pen at the lowest? Probably your first urushi pen?

That's a Platinum Izumo. It's a nice pen and though Cult Pens was the least expensive of the lot. With the around the world sale going on right now it should be a good price.

Bottom to top: Platinum Izumo Green Tamenuri, Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Aka Tamenuri, Nakaya Decapod Writer Aka Tamenuri, Nakaya Portable metal thread Cigar in Kikyo, Nakaya Dorsal Fin v1 in Toki-Tamenuri, Namiki Emperor #50 Urushi in black with rings. In the US normally that Namiki pen is called the Emperor but in other places its the #50 Urushi and the Maki-e models have the Emperor name.

The cap rings on the Emperor are just lovely.

It has really grown on me. At first I wanted the non-rings since a simple look works well with Urushi, but the rings harkens back to 1930's model. It also saved me about $300 ;) I paid about $1700 and from other dealers it goes $2000-$2200.

Oh Wow! Congratulations @Driften especially the :wub: swoonable double ringed Emperor.

The whole vibe feels like a Ralph Kramden POW! Alice to the moon release, in a good way :lol:

Enjoy the honeymoons

Mongrelnomad, I am with you. I have a #20 in fact and the proportions are p e r f e c t. But the #50 keeps looking at me...it is so very impractical (doesnt fit in one’s collection box and pen case, you need both hands to hold it or write with it) but it is simply soo beautiful...

(For the exact same reason I got the Pilot Custom 845 and not the Custom Urushi. The former is also a perfect writer but the latter also keeps winking...)

And Driften - congrats man, that is a nice family you got there.

Wonderful pens, congrats on such an exciting mail day!

I myself am contemplating my next big pen purchase, and I have the Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 in my sights. I am unsure whether to opt for the Toki-Tamenuri, or an all-black finish (all-black is my wheelhouse).

I am concerned that the underlying colour may be a tad too yellow/orange for my tastes, rather than the light brown it often seems to be in photos. With the current travel situation, I’ll not be able to see one in person any time soon. What are your thoughts on the Toki-Tamenuri finish?

I myself am contemplating my next big pen purchase, and I have the Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 in my sights. I am unsure whether to opt for the Toki-Tamenuri, or an all-black finish (all-black is my wheelhouse).

I am concerned that the underlying colour may be a tad too yellow/orange for my tastes, rather than the light brown it often seems to be in photos. With the current travel situation, I’ll not be able to see one in person any time soon. What are your thoughts on the Toki-Tamenuri finish?

I can sum up Toki Tamenuri in two words: Ha Chah!!!

http://www.fototime.com/%7BE175B7B1-17E6-468C-82CB-154F5C93FD1A%7D/origpict/Toki.jpg

And here is Toki (on left) with its predecessor, the now discontinued Shiro Tamenuri on right

http://www.fototime.com/%7B1FC96859-7A9E-460D-BFC6-2B5D42937FB3%7D/origpict/TokiShiro.jpg

I definitely prefer the Toki over the shiro. I think I ought to get one in-hand though, before I make a purchase. In your photo it’s quite brownish, whereas in others it can seem quite orange. Seems to be a hard hue to photograph.

Thanks for the photo.

And here is Toki (on left) with its predecessor, the now discontinued Shiro Tamenuri on right

http://www.fototime.com/%7B1FC96859-7A9E-460D-BFC6-2B5D42937FB3%7D/origpict/TokiShiro.jpg

I don't see it as very yellow/orange. More tan, but mine might not be the same as another pen or what it will look like in a few years. I was worried about what it might look like before hand, but I totally love it. As you see I have both a solid blue and solid black pen. The Tamenuri finishes in my collection are more more interesting to me with all of the depth you see in the layers.