Namiki Yukari Royale As A Daily Writer?

EliH

I will post a full review after I’ve used it for a few months.

Thank you all for your advice, suggestions, and help. I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

I would be interested in following a review update on your pen! Enjoy it!

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EliH

• mongrelnomad

• Tseg

• Nurmister

On 8/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, Tseg said:

My #20 is inked most of the time.

• My nib is on the verge of singing, which has not yet gone away after a couple of years
  • Even with the Con-70, this Medium nib burns through ink
  • Very comfortable in hand, including long writing sessions
  • Where the pen rolls to the pocket-clip, I'm starting to see 2 matte lines emerge from wear, 1 on either side of the clip where the pen rests
  • I love using it

28894542767_217de31fd1_k.jpg

These are interesting observations, I haven't heard of the clip wear lines issue.

I wanted to ask -- is the felt inner lining of the cap wearing away? And if so, do you post the pen?

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

On 4/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, Nurmister said:

These are interesting observations, I haven't heard of the clip wear lines issue.

I wanted to ask -- is the felt inner lining of the cap wearing away? And if so, do you post the pen?

I think that lining is more like cork... but in mine it is now completely worn away.  I do not post the pen.

7 hours ago, Tseg said:

I think that lining is more like cork... but in mine it is now completely worn away.  I do not post the pen.

Thanks a lot for the response, I'm going to purchase this pen tomorrow -- there's a discount for King's Day in the Netherlands, CdC is offering 20% off. Black in medium!

One more thing: does the worn-away lining mar the barrel where the cap lip screws in to the section? If so, I wonder why they didn't use a different, longer-lasting material like... silicone? I'm not sure. Your photo seems to show there is no marring there.

Anyway, I was just reading your 2018 topic on choosing between the Emperor and Custom Urushi, and the process of engaging yourself in a hobby -- it describes my experiences so perfectly, and I'm glad you still like this pen. I'm hoping this YR is in a similar way is my "exit pen": where I can focus on using it extensively instead of thinking about what other pen I may like slightly more.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:09 PM, Nurmister said:

I have had mine for ~7 months and the felt lining wore away months ago. I do not post it. But I don't really mind - it is still my favorite pen. And as far as I am concerned it is the ideal daily writer. If I could only own one pen it would be this one.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:41 PM, Nurmister said:

Thanks a lot for the response, I'm going to purchase this pen tomorrow -- there's a discount for King's Day in the Netherlands, CdC is offering 20% off. Black in medium!

One more thing: does the worn-away lining mar the barrel where the cap lip screws in to the section? If so, I wonder why they didn't use a different, longer-lasting material like... silicone? I'm not sure. Your photo seems to show there is no marring there.

Anyway, I was just reading your 2018 topic on choosing between the Emperor and Custom Urushi, and the process of engaging yourself in a hobby -- it describes my experiences so perfectly, and I'm glad you still like this pen. I'm hoping this YR is in a similar way is my "exit pen": where I can focus on using it extensively instead of thinking about what other pen I may like slightly more.

The good news here is when the cap is screwed on the end of the cap does not touch the barrel... there is about a 1mm gap all the way around.  Good luck with your purchase!  20% off sounds like a good deal.

23 minutes ago, Tseg said:

The good news here is when the cap is screwed on the end of the cap does not touch the barrel... there is about a 1mm gap all the way around.  Good luck with your purchase!  20% off sounds like a good deal.

That's just what I wanted to hear, thank you. My Montblancs and Pelikans get a mark there within a month or so of use. And @desgabets , it is rather strange they include a lining that wears away rather quickly. Oh well, perhaps it wears away to a base layer that's still soft?

I'll share my own insights once I receive it (currently on backorder).

2 minutes ago, Nurmister said:

That's just what I wanted to hear, thank you. My Montblancs and Pelikans get a mark there within a month or so of use. And @desgabets , it is rather strange they include a lining that wears away rather quickly. Oh well.

I'll share my own insights once I receive it (currently on backorder).

"Backorder"... Good luck... in 2018 my "backorder" wait was ONLY 6 months.   With the world as it is now I suspect you will have a much longer wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, can someone confirm whether the medium nib on the Namiki Yukari Royale is typical of Japanese medium nibs in that one can expect it to be narrower than a Western medium--or is is like other Pilot nibs, ie. the Custom 823, where the medium is comparable to in width to a Western medium (or even veering towards a M-B)?

1 hour ago, A-xy said:

Out of curiosity, can someone confirm whether the medium nib on the Namiki Yukari Royale is typical of Japanese medium nibs in that one can expect it to be narrower than a Western medium--or is is like other Pilot nibs, ie. the Custom 823, where the medium is comparable to in width to a Western medium (or even veering towards a M-B)?

The nib width is like other Pilot nibs. But I would say that is still a little finer than Western nib grades. But certainly wider than other Japanese brands.

57 minutes ago, MoriartyR said:

The nib width is like other Pilot nibs. But I would say that is still a little finer than Western nib grades. But certainly wider than other Japanese brands.

Thank you. I find the medium on my Custom 823 a bit too wide. For this reason, I bought a Custom 845 in a fine and it is a bit more fine than I expected given my experience with Pilot’s medium nib. Now only if the Namiki came in a FM....

@A-xy I’ll also confirm that there is a big difference between Pilot F and M. The M is similar to my Nakaya B. 

On 5/23/2021 at 2:28 AM, MoriartyR said:

This. Namiki probably just a tiny bit smaller than the average western size, but a whole size larger than say Platinum. 

31 minutes ago, Maki-eMagic said:

This. Namiki probably just a tiny bit smaller than the average western size, but a whole size larger than say Platinum. 

This is very helpful. Thank you. 

On 4/28/2021 at 10:39 AM, Tseg said:

"Backorder"... Good luck... in 2018 my "backorder" wait was ONLY 6 months.   With the world as it is now I suspect you will have a much longer wait.

I believe that they are back in stock in a few places now. I had ordered the NYR in vermillion in December from Appelboom, and I got an email yesterday that it is now on its way to me. As well, Pen Boutique’s website says that they can ship them in three days. 

On 6/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, Stewiesdad said:

I believe that they are back in stock in a few places now. I had ordered the NYR in vermillion in December from Appelboom, and I got an email yesterday that it is now on its way to me. As well, Pen Boutique’s website says that they can ship them in three days. 

Yes, CdC, who I bought from, said their supplier had a single vermillion available. However, they don't have an idea of when a black will be available. Availability seems to vary from region to region, given suppliers vary. Perhaps your vermillion was the one offered to me by CdC!

23 hours ago, Nurmister said:

Yes, CdC, who I bought from, said their supplier had a single vermillion available. However, they don't have an idea of when a black will be available. Availability seems to vary from region to region, given suppliers vary. Perhaps your vermillion was the one offered to me by CdC!

Maybe. I had to send mine back, as the nib was a broad, and I wanted a medium. I’ve asked them to see the Namiki rep could simply switch nibs and send it back to me. No reply back yet. My handwriting is too small for a broad. Love the pen, though.