Namiki Yukari Royale As A Daily Writer?

EliH

There is a minor argument that has erupted in another thread about wabi sabi, and I must say that I have begun to view my Royale's stains in just such terms. It is a testament to our relationship, something that makes it mine, and a more unique object. I admit that is not how I saw it when it occurred.

The fault is all mine: as I said, I travelled heavily with it and, when I returned home after a long flight, stored it without checking its circumstances. Until I uncapped it again, perhaps a few weeks later, there was no sign of any disaster. This is the only time it has ever leaked.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EliH

• mongrelnomad

• Tseg

• Nurmister

I think wabi sabi, as a concept, has caught a lot of flak recently as it’s become more mainstream in the global West. I won’t say that’s unwarranted, but in your Namiki’s case I think it’s a perfectly apt framework to adopt.

Things happen, que sera, sera. As our old pal Bill put it, “scars remind us that the past was real.”

I don’t think it detracts from the pen in any way, and if you think so as well, then there’s really no issue. For a pen to weather years of travel with only a single leak, is no small feat.

There is a minor argument that has erupted in another thread about wabi sabi, and I must say that I have begun to view my Royale's stains in just such terms. It is a testament to our relationship, something that makes it mine, and a more unique object. I admit that is not how I saw it when it occurred.

The fault is all mine: as I said, I travelled heavily with it and, when I returned home after a long flight, stored it without checking its circumstances. Until I uncapped it again, perhaps a few weeks later, there was no sign of any disaster. This is the only time it has ever leaked.

Yeah, but i understand mongrelnomad’s dilemma: rationally y’all are correct with your statements about the scars and how they make it yours and everything - but emotionally you think when you see it for the first time “why” “why me” “why now“ “why on this most supergorgeousGOAT that is the namiki urushi 20” “whywhywhyWHY” (or, perhaps shorter and to the point: NOOOOOO!!!!!!)

I made a big scratch on a pair of very nice and very new shoes (model Arca from Paris brand Corthay) and I went through the same rational/emotional rollercoaster. It still hurts...

Yeah, I see where you’re coming from. It hurts to accidentally damage great things. But, at the end of the day, what can you do?

My two worst cases of ruining expensive things still irk me. First one was when I was a kid, I had just had my braces put on and I ate some almonds on the way home, snapping one of the brackets off of my molar. Big oof there. The second time was setting a coffee too close to an open MacBook.

Both my fault, and both expensive to fix.

At least a stained pen still writes.

Yeah, but i understand mongrelnomad’s dilemma: rationally y’all are correct with your statements about the scars and how they make it yours and everything - but emotionally you think when you see it for the first time “why” “why me” “why now“ “why on this most supergorgeousGOAT that is the namiki urushi 20” “whywhywhyWHY” (or, perhaps shorter and to the point: NOOOOOO!!!!!!)

I made a big scratch on a pair of very nice and very new shoes (model Arca from Paris brand Corthay) and I went through the same rational/emotional rollercoaster. It still hurts...

Thanks for commenting. What do you mean by ‘singing’?

The nib is just on the verge of vibrating when I write to nearly create an audible hum. I’ve had some pens that sing quite loudly. For me, with the #20, I view this almost-vibration feel as “character”. My lower cost Pilot pens write like machines, but to some extent, lack character. You could blind fold me and l would know that distinctive #20 nib feel. I‘m certain it is a one-off with my particular nib, but now this pen has become personal to me. For me, it’s a good thing.

Edit: for the record, singing pens annoy my, but this feel with the #20 is so subtle I find it soothing... a built in finger massager.

Edited by Tseg

Ah, ok I know what you mean. I had an old MB146 that ‘sung’ in that way, though to an extreme degree. A bit like nails on a chalkboard when it’s too strong.

It’s always nice when a nib is unique like yours though. I have a Sailor B that I treasure as it’s tipping is much more of a teardrop grind than it’s fellows. It produces some interesting lines, a bit like a Naginata Togi ‘lite’.

The nib is just on the verge of vibrating when I write to nearly create an audible hum. I’ve had some pens that sing quite loudly. For me, with the #20, I view this almost-vibration feel as “character”. My lower cost Pilot pens write like machines, but to some extent, lack character. You could blind fold me and l would know that distinctive #20 nib feel. I‘m certain it is a one-off with my particular nib, but now this pen has become personal to me. For me, it’s a good thing.

Edit: for the record, singing pens annoy my, but this feel with the #20 is so subtle I find it soothing... a built in finger massager.

Thank you, thats precisely what I was hoping to hear. It seems wed have a very similar workload for the pen. Glad to hear it never faltered while under the yoke.

I would be opting for the black version, so staining wouldnt be a huge concern. Though Id definitely check it regularly.

Thanks again for the comment. Ill start trawling the auction sites and see if I cant find one for below 1500 USD, or one thats shipped from Canada if Im really lucky.

Hi OP, I was reading your thread today, and I remembered someone posted one of these pens for sale earlier. I know you were looking for a black Yukari Royale, but the one in question is vermillion. I thought Id post it here anyways since it was in your price range:

https://reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/comments/if7h6j/wts_namiki_yukari_royale_vermillion_a2/

(No affiliation- I have no business owning this pen!)

Thanks a million for linking that. It’s tempting, but I think I’m going to go with the black version and a medium nib.

Nonetheless, I appreciate you taking the time to share the sale.

Have a good one!

Hi OP, I was reading your thread today, and I remembered someone posted one of these pens for sale earlier. I know you were looking for a black Yukari Royale, but the one in question is vermillion. I thought Id post it here anyways since it was in your price range:

https://reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/comments/if7h6j/wts_namiki_yukari_royale_vermillion_a2/

(No affiliation- I have no business owning this pen!)

Well, I’ve taken the plunge and purchased the Yukari Royale in black, with a medium nib. I’ll post a review once I’ve used it for a while.

Thank you all for your advice and opinions, I truly do appreciate the help.

Well, Ive taken the plunge and purchased the Yukari Royale in black, with a medium nib. Ill post a review once Ive used it for a while.

Thank you all for your advice and opinions, I truly do appreciate the help.

Congrats! Cant wait to read your impressions...

Wow interesting thread. I was going to recommend you NOT to purchase the Yukari Royale. Here's the reason why:

Summary of thread, in my interpretation, goes something like this:

Thread owner basically has a case of pen acquisition syndrome. They are itchy to buy something new. However they know their personal preference is highly specific towards certain pens over others. Seems there is a distinct dislike for Japanese pens. Overly small capacity filling system. Light weight. etc. It's also quite clear based their response to others who have tried to suggest options have been turned down.

Don't know whether you were able to objectively read through the thread to say, hmm, clearly the Yukari is not going to fit me. You are going to hate the CON 70. You are going to hate the cold metal body. You are going to hate the grip.

My question is since you already know what you like, why don't you buy different versions of the same pen?

Definitely a fair read of the thread, and a nice counter argument. I’ll touch on each of your points.

1) Definitely am itching to purchase a new pen. I’ve been whittling down my collection with the goal of acquiring an urushi pen that suits my tastes.

2) I definitely don’t dislike japanese pens, Sailor nibs are my personal be-all end-all. I hate their converters though. The Con-70 however isn’t too bad in my books. It holds as much as some piston fillers (more so captive converter pens), and as I never switch inks, I’m not too worried about deep cleaning it.

3) Now, the metal body is not something I hate. I use Y-studio’s brass architect’s pencil almost daily and love the heft. My gripe with metal fountain pens is their sections. Slippery metal sections with sharp threads are a huge turn-off for me. This pen is not that, though. The urushi renders my qualms with having polished metal at my fingers obselete.

4) I do know what I like, and it’s been cementing over the years. I like japanese nibs (sailor, then pilot, with platinum far off in third place). I like handmade or small production pens. I like black pens with gold or silver furniture. I like urushi, but am not a fan of bold colours or textures. I like a pen that can hold a fair amount of ink, isn’t too light or unwieldy, and is comfortable to use for hours on end.

Now, why don’t I buy more of what I like? Well, I did. I had two Conid AVDA Phis in rotation for about seven months before coming to the realization that I really only needed one. I have a fair number of Sailor nibs I rotate through my remaining AVDA Phi, and that’s enough Conid for what I do. I don’t like Conid’s other models, the Regular’s section doesn’t cut it for me and the Kingsize can’t take number six nibs. I have spoken at length with Conid about having an AVDA Phi Minimalistica made from a different material, and that is not an option; so I have everything I need from Conid.

I feel the Yukari Royale suits my tastes pretty nicely. I will see for certain once it arrives and I can put it to use.

Wow interesting thread. I was going to recommend you NOT to purchase the Yukari Royale. Here's the reason why:

Summary of thread, in my interpretation, goes something like this:

Thread owner basically has a case of pen acquisition syndrome. They are itchy to buy something new. However they know their personal preference is highly specific towards certain pens over others. Seems there is a distinct dislike for Japanese pens. Overly small capacity filling system. Light weight. etc. It's also quite clear based their response to others who have tried to suggest options have been turned down.

Don't know whether you were able to objectively read through the thread to say, hmm, clearly the Yukari is not going to fit me. You are going to hate the CON 70. You are going to hate the cold metal body. You are going to hate the grip.

My question is since you already know what you like, why don't you buy different versions of the same pen?

I also had some further thought after re-reading this thread.

The ink stains on the Urushi #20 actually do look more like patina, the signs of wear and tear slowly accumulated over years of loving (ab)use of a treasured edc item, than like damage, the abrupt alternation of the appearance of said treasured edc item by an accident. Perhaps an expert professional cleansing of some sort might even add to the patina, by edging off some of the harsher impacts of the stain.

I like PAS over GAS, as a condition to suffer from, as the latter originally refers to photo cameras and related paraphernalia, whereas the former refers to, well, the name gives is straight away, pens. Thanks for that, I intend to use it more in conversation.

I find the Sailor KoP in red urushi beautiful.

Lastly, why anyone cannot like/love/adore the Urushi #20 is beyond me. It is the one. Obviously there are other pens in other universes, maki-e/chinkin/raden artworks for example, but, as said, that is for a different magnitude, with different criteria. And budgets.

Call me a Philistine, but every time I visit Itoya and peruse their exquisite maki-e Yukari Royales, I come back to the little cabinet with the plain Urushi #20s, and know theyre the fairest at the ball...

I bought a black Royale a few years ago, attracted by its simple elegance. However, I had to return it because it just didn't feel right in my hand. I didn't like the brass barrel which felt cold and heavy, and in my experience the urushi lacquer was a fingerprint magnet. I really wanted to like the pen but after much reflection I had to let it go.

I've now got two ebonite Conid Kingsize pens which I'm delighted with. The pens are comfortable, light and maneuverable - I can write for long periods without fatigue. I also like the size 8 nibs. The ebonite has dulled a bit over the past two years on my Streamline version, but I actually prefer this to glossy pens which always felt greasy after a while.

Good luck with your decision!

fpn_1555191282__img_0121_rs.jpg

Those are beautiful. Unfortunately, it looks like Canid has put an indefinite hold on all new orders for bulk-fillers. :(

Last I heard, September was their new target for reopening. I would recommend subscribing to their newsletter if you haven’t already, that’s likely where they’ll announce the official date.

Those are beautiful. Unfortunately, it looks like Canid has put an indefinite hold on all new orders for bulk-fillers. :(

It is good to be a member of this forum and to read about your favourite pens.

After being warned about staining the vermillion urushi of the Namiki #20, I carefully scrutinised mine, and yes, on the ring where the feed meets the section, there were already some asa-gao stains. So I took the converter out and cleaned the section thoroughly to remove all of it. Bytheway, Yasukazu of TPSQ informed me that squirting water through the feed removes paper dust collected around the tip of the nib, that might end up in your ink bottle otherwise. I now decided to fill the converter with a syringe, so as to avoid having to dip the nib/section in the ink altogether. Two birds with one stone!

Next thereto, I read somewhere else here that you can bring back the shiny luster of the black ebonite of my Sailor KoP with a drop of olive oil. You screw off the tip of the cap to temporarily remove the clip. This allows you an uninterrupted wipe of the entire pen. You drop some olive oil on a tissue, wipe the pen down, clean it with another tissue, and voila, the King looks as new.

Small things can make me very happy.

Very enjoyable thread. Later tonight I will examine my vermillion Namiki Yukari Royale with a loupe to see if there are any visible stains. Nothing yet from a casual naked-eye inspection.

Daily writer? Absolutely. When I bought mine online late last year, I was just hoping it would be comfortable to hold and a solid writer. But as soon as I put nib to paper I was blown away. Great balance and one of the smoothest nibs I’ve ever used. If I had to choose one pen to write with for the next year, I would take the Yukari Royale over both my Kingsize Conid and my Pilot Custom Urushi (which, by the way, should be considered as another alternative to the pens discussed on this thread).

Well, first impressions after using the pen for a few hours each day over the past week are extremely positive.

The black finish is smooth as a northern lake at sunup. There’s some profound depth to it, and it is utterly flawless. The medium nib wrote perfectly out of the box and it’s width is inline with other Pilot mediums I’ve used. The feedback is uniquely Namiki, being more auditory than physical, and I love it. The nib is softer than the no.15 Pilot equivalent, with some nice bounce to it. Overall, I couldn’t be happier with the nib.

The brass body of the pen gives it some heft, but it is by no means unwieldy. The longest I wrote this week was for about four hours straight, and I experienced no cramping or strain. The urushi keeps the section from feeling cold or slippery, and its diameter falls nicely within my personal ‘sweet spot’.

As a whole, the pen feels incredible in the hand and performs admirably. The con-70 is a fine converter, and I find myself having to refill about every hour and a half. Not too terrible for non-stop writing, plus it’s quick and painless to fill.

I will post a full review after I’ve used it for a few months.

Thank you all for your advice, suggestions, and help. I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

Well, first impressions after using the pen for a few hours each day over the past week are extremely positive.

The black finish is smooth as a northern lake at sunup. There’s some profound depth to it, and it is utterly flawless. The medium nib wrote perfectly out of the box and it’s width is inline with other Pilot mediums I’ve used. The feedback is uniquely Namiki, being more auditory than physical, and I love it. The nib is softer than the no.15 Pilot equivalent, with some nice bounce to it. Overall, I couldn’t be happier with the nib.

The brass body of the pen gives it some heft, but it is by no means unwieldy. The longest I wrote this week was for about four hours straight, and I experienced no cramping or strain. The urushi keeps the section from feeling cold or slippery, and its diameter falls nicely within my personal ‘sweet spot’.

As a whole, the pen feels incredible in the hand and performs admirably. The con-70 is a fine converter, and I find myself having to refill about every hour and a half. Not too terrible for non-stop writing, plus it’s quick and painless to fill.

I will post a full review after I’ve used it for a few months.

Thank you all for your advice, suggestions, and help. I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment.

Exactly my impressions. It is, in many ways, the perfect pen.

Congratulations, and enjoy it in good health.