Namiki Yukari Royale As A Daily Writer?

EliH

Hello all, hope you and yours are doing well during these odd times.

I am reevaluating my ‘desirables’ list of pricier fountain pens and attempting to narrow down my choices a good deal. For example, I’ve recently removed the Montblanc l’Aubrac after finally getting a chance to try one and being disappointed by the slippery metal section. (Why, Montblanc? Also, why do I trick myself into thinking I won’t mind it, every time?)

The basis for my pruning of the list is that I want a pen I can use. I write a lot, usually for several hours everyday. I’d told myself that this ought to limit my quiver of pens to only the most utilitarian models. Nakaya is out, on account of their tiny ink capacity. Sailor—whose nibs are my absolute favourites—is also out, unless I put their nibs in a Conid. However, the Con-70 is a fair capacity converter, and much easier to clean than an eye dropper, so the Yukari Royale remains on the table. Why can’t I have a pen that’s gorgeous and practical?

As I try to inject some majesty back into my rotation of pens (all delrin Conids and ‘precious’ plastic Montblanc) I see myself drifting further towards the Yukari Royale. It is beautifully lacquered, yet tastefully subtle, black with reserved furniture. It is unassuming, which for me is a huge plus. The last thing I want is someone to ask me about my pens. I have to work hard to hide the Montblanc snow cap if ever I leave the house with one of them. I’m counting on the uninitiated not recognizing the Namiki clip, as no one ever makes a fuss about the Conid final.

The review on this forum have been wonderful, by the way. There are some effective reviewers and spectacular photographers in this community. For that, I owe you all my thanks.

So, all told I am simply looking for opinions on the viability of the Namiki Yukari Royale as a moderate to heavy use daily writing pen. It’s hefty, but only seven grams more so than my Conid inked and uncapped. It’s lacquered, but urushi’s withstood more abuse over the centuries than I ever intend to throw at it.

Does anyone actually use this pen to get some decent chunks of writing done?

Any insight, advice, or words of caution would be greatly appreciated.

Stay healthy, stay happy, folks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EliH

• mongrelnomad

• Tseg

• Nurmister

I wrote a whole novel with my Yukari Royale. It served for a few months as my only pen (I was travelling heavily and carried it together with a bottle of ink).

It is supremely beautiful, capable, and practical. I would only hazard leaving a vermillion with spilled ink over the section for a long period of time - mine has, unfortunately, stained, and I am waiting to return to Japan to see if Itoya can do anything about it, because here in the UK Pilot customer service is notable only as an oxymoron.

Too many pens; too little writing.

I wrote a whole novel with my Yukari Royale. It served for a few months as my only pen (I was travelling heavily and carried it together with a bottle of ink).

It is supremely beautiful, capable, and practical. I would only hazard leaving a vermillion with spilled ink over the section for a long period of time - mine has, unfortunately, stained, and I am waiting to return to Japan to see if Itoya can do anything about it, because here in the UK Pilot customer service is notable only as an oxymoron.

Thank you, that’s precisely what I was hoping to hear. It seems we’d have a very similar workload for the pen. Glad to hear it never faltered while under the yoke.

I would be opting for the black version, so staining wouldn’t be a huge concern. Though I’d definitely check it regularly.

Thanks again for the comment. I’ll start trawling the auction sites and see if I can’t find one for below 1500 USD, or one that’s shipped from Canada if I’m really lucky.

I would be opting for the black version, so staining wouldnt be a huge concern. Though Id definitely check it regularly.

Exactly why next time Im in Japan I hope to add a black urushi to my stable.

I bought a black Royale a few years ago, attracted by its simple elegance. However, I had to return it because it just didn't feel right in my hand. I didn't like the brass barrel which felt cold and heavy, and in my experience the urushi lacquer was a fingerprint magnet. I really wanted to like the pen but after much reflection I had to let it go.

I've now got two ebonite Conid Kingsize pens which I'm delighted with. The pens are comfortable, light and maneuverable - I can write for long periods without fatigue. I also like the size 8 nibs. The ebonite has dulled a bit over the past two years on my Streamline version, but I actually prefer this to glossy pens which always felt greasy after a while.

Good luck with your decision!

fpn_1555191282__img_0121_rs.jpg

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

I bought a black Royale a few years ago, attracted by its simple elegance. However, I had to return it because it just didn't feel right in my hand. I didn't like the brass barrel which felt cold and heavy, and in my experience the urushi lacquer was a fingerprint magnet. I really wanted to like the pen but after much reflection I had to let it go.

I've now got two ebonite Conid Kingsize pens which I'm delighted with. The pens are comfortable, light and maneuverable - I can write for long periods without fatigue. I also like the size 8 nibs. The ebonite has dulled a bit over the past two years on my Streamline version, but I actually prefer this to glossy pens which always felt greasy after a while.

Good luck with your decision!

fpn_1555191282__img_0121_rs.jpg

Wow, that older Kingsize is a real looker. How long have you had it? To be honest, I am not personally a fan of how ebonite feels in the hand. (Perhaps too many field trips to the bowling alley as a child.) I have been going back and forth with Jonas for a year now trying to woo him into making me a streamline version of the Kingsize in all Delrin. Alas, he has yet to cave.

I am a chronic pen wiper anyway, I even wipe my delrin Conids, so the fingerprints will be an issue for me regardless of which material I’m holding.

I have found that I prefer the number 6 nib for longer writing sessions, which is another reason I’m gravitating towards the Yukari, rather than a Kingsize. I already have two AVDA Phi Conids, so I really need to branch out a little.

Thank you for the insight, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and share your photo.

I use a Yukari Royale daily. It is a great pen with a really excellent nib. I don't post mine because it becomes too big and heavy but uncapped it is pretty much perfect for me. If you like posting you pens I think the Pilot Custom 845 works better.

Wonderful to hear. I’m not a fan of posting pens in general, so I should be alright.

Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it.

Regarding posting, the pen has a material lining the inside of the cap lip to prevent scratching when posted. This can wear away, so be aware of that issue on used pens.

Otherwise, if the weight is not an issue the pen is very pleasing in the hand. I prefer it as a writer to the Namiki #50.

As you don't like larger nibs I'll not try to convince you to buy as Sailor KOP in urushi and use a cartridge. ;)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Wow, that older Kingsize is a real looker. How long have you had it? To be honest, I am not personally a fan of how ebonite feels in the hand. (Perhaps too many field trips to the bowling alley as a child.) I have been going back and forth with Jonas for a year now trying to woo him into making me a streamline version of the Kingsize in all Delrin. Alas, he has yet to cave.

I am a chronic pen wiper anyway, I even wipe my delrin Conids, so the fingerprints will be an issue for me regardless of which material I’m holding.

I have found that I prefer the number 6 nib for longer writing sessions, which is another reason I’m gravitating towards the Yukari, rather than a Kingsize. I already have two AVDA Phi Conids, so I really need to branch out a little.

Thank you for the insight, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and share your photo.

I think the older Conid (Streamline) is nearly 3 years old. The Flat-top is just over a year old and is still quite shiny because I now keep my pens in a leather pouch when not in use - previously I tended to leave them exposed to whatever passes for sunlight here in northern Scotland.

Just a thought - have you considered Hakase pens? There's been quite a few threads about them on FPN recently, which prompted my suggestion. Maybe the ink capacity (and price) is an issue though.

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

Regarding posting, the pen has a material lining the inside of the cap lip to prevent scratching when posted. This can wear away, so be aware of that issue on used pens.

Otherwise, if the weight is not an issue the pen is very pleasing in the hand. I prefer it as a writer to the Namiki #50.

As you don't like larger nibs I'll not try to convince you to buy as Sailor KOP in urushi and use a cartridge. ;)

I remember the felt cap liner from the Emperor, I assume its the same material. Definitely reassuring that it’s there, but I still wouldn’t want to rush brass scraping the urushi.

Glad to hear you enjoy it, I don’t mind a heavier pen or pencil. Ystudio’s architect’s pencil is a favourite of mine and it’s a good deal heavier than the uncapped Royale.

Ah the KOP. I have such a love hate relationship with the model. Though I’ve never owned any that weren’t resin, I have to admit I think I’ve put Sailor’s flagship in my rear view. I may be the only person on the planet that prefers their no.6 nib to their no.9, and I can’t put my finger on the reason why. Also, a few years of syringe filling carts was enough for me. Sailor nibs belong in Conids in my mind.

How do their urushi pens compare to the others from the big three? I’ve only seen them from the wrong side of a display case. Are the sectioned lacquered as well? I noticed most of their ebonite KOPs had resin sections, which is a shame at that price point.

Ah, that ebonite is aging nicely then.

I actually came across them recently, and was pretty entrigued. They’re definitely on my radar. Honestly, what other company is going to release something like this? https://fp-hakase.com/en/works/qb15h/

Incredible stuff, with a real sense of character. Though, I would like to see one in person before I buy.

I think the older Conid (Streamline) is nearly 3 years old. The Flat-top is just over a year old and is still quite shiny because I now keep my pens in a leather pouch when not in use - previously I tended to leave them exposed to whatever passes for sunlight here in northern Scotland.

Just a thought - have you considered Hakase pens? There's been quite a few threads about them on FPN recently, which prompted my suggestion. Maybe the ink capacity (and price) is an issue though.

I remember the felt cap liner from the Emperor, I assume its the same material. Definitely reassuring that it’s there, but I still wouldn’t want to rush brass scraping the urushi.

Glad to hear you enjoy it, I don’t mind a heavier pen or pencil. Ystudio’s architect’s pencil is a favourite of mine and it’s a good deal heavier than the uncapped Royale.

Ah the KOP. I have such a love hate relationship with the model. Though I’ve never owned any that weren’t resin, I have to admit I think I’ve put Sailor’s flagship in my rear view. I may be the only person on the planet that prefers their no.6 nib to their no.9, and I can’t put my finger on the reason why. Also, a few years of syringe filling carts was enough for me. Sailor nibs belong in Conids in my mind.

How do their urushi pens compare to the others from the big three? I’ve only seen them from the wrong side of a display case. Are the sectioned lacquered as well? I noticed most of their ebonite KOPs had resin sections, which is a shame at that price point.

The Sailor sections are lacquered too. Quality is comparable with Namiki. I prefer the pen shape of the KOP in hand. Plus I can swap in a specialty nib if needed. Is it worth the higher price than the Yukari Royale? Not for most people. You can get a used Yukari Royale, with some patience, for around $800, especially in black. Not saying it happens all the time, but I've seen a few.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I must agree with EliH - I want to love the KOP, but I just cant. I have two, a marble ebonite with an Eagle nib, and a vermillion urushi with a NT medium, and both dwell in my pen case while my Yukari Royale is one of my most used pens. I just find everything about it - the shape, the nib, the filling mechanism, the balance - far far better. The urushi quality is comparable, but I think the Sailor may just pip it...

While the Royale is my absolute favourite of the entire Pilot range, I think the Sailor sweet-spot is the under-sung Realo.

The Sailor bespoke nibs are incredible feet’s of artistry, but they ere most certainly not practical for my everyday writing. I would love to get one of their urushi KOP in-hand, to see how it compares.

Now, Mongrelnomad, this is where I have to disagree and slander the Realo line for everything I am worth...

Joking aside, I do feel that the Realo missed the mark. Aesthetically, I like the ink window and the ever so slightly longer form factor of the Realos. However, they cost a hundred dollars more than a 1911L or a PG, and I don’t feel that the added value is there.

The all plastic construction leaves the Realos feeling lighter than their c/c counterparts, the glue work in the inner construction is shoddy and unacceptable in a $300+ pen. The piston feels good, but that’s on account of it being well greased plastic on plastic; and it hold less than their cartridges.

I wanted so desperately to adore the Realo, I’ve bought and sold one of each—1911 and PG—over the years. In the end, their failure to wow me is what drove me to Conid though, so I can’t complain too much.

Also, I have to admit that some of the exclusive Realos from the y.ypenclub are absolute stunners. Those unstamped Sailor nibs are gorgeous.

I must agree with EliH - I want to love the KOP, but I just cant. I have two, a marble ebonite with an Eagle nib, and a vermillion urushi with a NT medium, and both dwell in my pen case while my Yukari Royale is one of my most used pens. I just find everything about it - the shape, the nib, the filling mechanism, the balance - far far better. The urushi quality is comparable, but I think the Sailor may just pip it...

While the Royale is my absolute favourite of the entire Pilot range, I think the Sailor sweet-spot is the under-sung Realo.

My #20 is inked most of the time.

• My nib is on the verge of singing, which has not yet gone away after a couple of years
  • Even with the Con-70, this Medium nib burns through ink
  • Very comfortable in hand, including long writing sessions
  • Where the pen rolls to the pocket-clip, I'm starting to see 2 matte lines emerge from wear, 1 on either side of the clip where the pen rests
  • I love using it

28894542767_217de31fd1_k.jpg

Thanks for commenting. What do you mean by ‘singing’?

My #20 is inked most of the time.

• My nib is on the verge of singing, which has not yet gone away after a couple of years

• Even with the Con-70, this Medium nib burns through ink

• Very comfortable in hand, including long writing sessions

• Where the pen rolls to the pocket-clip, I'm starting to see 2 matte lines emerge from wear, 1 on either side of the clip where the pen rests

• I love using it

28894542767_217de31fd1_k.jpg

The Sailor bespoke nibs are incredible feet’s of artistry, but they ere most certainly not practical for my everyday writing. I would love to get one of their urushi KOP in-hand, to see how it compares.

Now, Mongrelnomad, this is where I have to disagree and slander the Realo line for everything I am worth...

Joking aside, I do feel that the Realo missed the mark. Aesthetically, I like the ink window and the ever so slightly longer form factor of the Realos. However, they cost a hundred dollars more than a 1911L or a PG, and I don’t feel that the added value is there.

The all plastic construction leaves the Realos feeling lighter than their c/c counterparts, the glue work in the inner construction is shoddy and unacceptable in a $300+ pen. The piston feels good, but that’s on account of it being well greased plastic on plastic; and it hold less than their cartridges.

I wanted so desperately to adore the Realo, I’ve bought and sold one of each—1911 and PG—over the years. In the end, their failure to wow me is what drove me to Conid though, so I can’t complain too much.

Also, I have to admit that some of the exclusive Realos from the y.ypenclub are absolute stunners. Those unstamped Sailor nibs are gorgeous.

And we were getting on so well! :P

I must say I've had a long convoluted road with the Realo series. My first - plain, black F nib - I was, shall we say, not fond of. The plastic felt too shiny, it sat too short in my hand, and the nib, unusually for a Sailor, just didn't sing. It languished in my pen case for years.

Then, fast-forward a few years to Tokyo and I overcame my antipathy when faced with a brightly coloured, sparkly blue Pent x Sailor Realo. It no longer felt awkward or cheap, and the nib (shock horror!) was perfect - fine and smooth, and even soft. I even came to forgive the ink capacity, for with its controlled flow, it lasted long enough. One became two (another Pent x Sailor clear sparkly demonstrator), then three (a Nagasawa Kobe 'Port of Kobe' anniversary blue and white), then four (Bungu-Box's bright yellow Ginza Metro), and they quickly became backups to my Conids whenever I travelled, easily my second-most reliable pens. In the intervening years, they have never let me down.

So repent! The Sailor gods will forgive you - maybe. B)

nwjtSyG.jpg

I seem to be taking a lot of photos of late... spot the difference:

XrQdhzx.jpg

And my No. 20's beautiful nib, and the ink-stained section (which actually looks pretty dignified in the flesh, to be honest, having become almost a part of the urushi):

KAYnBGW.jpg

Haha, nothing like fountain pens to turn a great conversation heated, or a lousy conversation great.

You make great points, and I should spare the Realo my vitriol. I suppose it comes from my so desperately wanting a top-notch piston filler from Sailor. I’d love to try the original KOP Realo, but they came and went like summer in Lapland.

I’ll begin my repenting now, see if I can’t get back in the good graces of the Realo line before I can go try out some LE versions once pen shows start up again.

Wow, now that’s a pen case with a high capacity lineup. That’s got to be twelve mL or so between all the pens. Those are some nice Sailor editions as well, and the ebonite on your KOP is aging nicely.

Thank you for sharing that photo, and those of your Yukari Royale. I actually find the ink stain endearing. It adds a touch of hard earned reality to an otherwise ethereal instrument.

Might I ask, how did it actually get stained? Did ink leak into the cap and sit, unnoticed, for a while? If that is the case, how long would you say it took to stain?

And we were getting on so well! :P

I must say I've had a long convoluted road with the Realo series. My first - plain, black F nib - I was, shall we say, not fond of. The plastic felt too shiny, it sat too short in my hand, and the nib, unusually for a Sailor, just didn't sing. It languished in my pen case for years.

Then, fast-forward a few years to Tokyo and I overcame my antipathy when faced with a brightly coloured, sparkly blue Pent x Sailor Realo. It no longer felt awkward or cheap, and the nib (shock horror!) was perfect - fine and smooth, and even soft. I even came to forgive the ink capacity, for with its controlled flow, it lasted long enough. One became two (another Pent x Sailor clear sparkly demonstrator), then three (a Nagasawa Kobe 'Port of Kobe' anniversary blue and white), then four (Bungu-Box's bright yellow Ginza Metro), and they quickly became backups to my Conids whenever I travelled, easily my second-most reliable pens. In the intervening years, they have never let me down.

So repent! The Sailor gods will forgive you - maybe. B)

nwjtSyG.jpg