Efnir: Visconti Blue

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Visconti Blue

This is review #36 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Slight difficulty cleaning the converter - agitation or pen flush may be needed - but no problem cleaning the pen's section.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.ViscontiBlue.jpg.f0b80c300ae1d494cf731cc74692edc8.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.ViscontiBlueS.jpg.0e5e88ef27d7643c11d1438aae767b99.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.ViscontiBlueZ.jpg.c2645c977094b235dae46dd748fe8e2f.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.ViscontiBlueAP.jpg.b102cf08e6d40c195bc8e126c8d4cf81.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Rohrer & Klingner Solferino.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• lapis

• Misfit

• A Smug Dill

Thanks for the review and your judgments. Yes, a very "blue" blue without any other unnecessary jazz. Still, I see a lot of red in yours. Mine has either no red or only very little red in it....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Oooo! It's blue. Very!

Thanks. ✔️

Yes, it is!

You're welcome! :)

Thanks for the review and your judgments. Yes, a very "blue" blue without any other unnecessary jazz. Still, I see a lot of red in yours. Mine has either no red or only very little red in it....

Any red is either from sheen (not likely in these images) or my camera / image processing. I tried to ensure it shows as blue as possible, with neither red nor green, but I'm no pro. :(

I'm no pro, either! Main thing is that you emphasize that VB ist one great blue!! The color is really "pure" and the saturation is good but not excessive. Flow and lube also very good. If enough members (and/or non-members) will buy that off your review, then they'll have one of the "best" blue blues that exist. There, I said it.... :wub:

I'm no pro, either! Main thing is that you emphasize that VB ist one great blue!! The color is really "pure" and the saturation is good but not excessive. Flow and lube also very good. If enough members (and/or non-members) will buy that off your review, then they'll have one of the "best" blue blues that exist. There, I said it.... :wub:

:) I always recommend it when people talk about Baystate Blue, but don't want to risk it.

:D

:) I always recommend it when people talk about Baystate Blue, but don't want to risk it.

Almost everybody complaining about Baystate Blue is worried about wrecking their pens. The way I see it, I end up having to go to the ophthalmologist. :closedeyes:

Almost everybody complaining about Baystate Blue is worried about wrecking their pens. The way I see it, I end up having to go to the ophthalmologist. :closedeyes:

:lol:

Visconti Blue is my favourite blue. It's always the first blue I turn to when I am in a mood for that colour.

:thumbup:

Visconti Blue is available in international short carts, seven fills packed into a cool little Bakelite canister. This lovely blue is now in a Kaweco "Special FP that I use mostly with cartridges. One of my go-to "true blues".

I'm also a great fan of Visconti Sepia carts, quite similar to the now discontinued bottled OMAS Sepia.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

...I'm also a great fan of Visconti Sepia carts, quite similar to the now discontinued bottled OMAS Sepia.

Hey, go figure! Visconti Sepia is the only other Visconti ink (sample) I have. :D We'll get there eventually.

I'm also a great fan of Visconti Sepia carts, quite similar to the now discontinued bottled OMAS Sepia.

+1 Visconti Blue and Visconti Sepia. I wonder if Scribo Sepia/Brown is the same formula as OMAS', actually if all the Scribos are the same formula as OMAS'.

Liz, you 'enabled' me yet again, dammit.

I had a bottle of Visconti Blue in my Amazon shopping cart for a few days, ever since your review prompted me to go look further for more information and reviews on that ink colour. (Previously, Visconti had about as much appeal to me as say Montblanc, i.e. below Hero status.) Then, just when I was about to click on 'Pay Now', I found out that I could get it more cheaply from Cult Pens.

(Actually, I could — was quite tempted to — order two bottles at once at that price, but didn't. It's sold out or "waiting for stock" now.)

Thank you for the review all the same!

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Liz, you 'enabled' me yet again, dammit.

I had a bottle of Visconti Blue in my Amazon shopping cart for a few days, ever since your review prompted me to go look further for more information and reviews on that ink colour. (Previously, Visconti had about as much appeal to me as say Montblanc, i.e. below Hero status.) Then, just when I was about to click on 'Pay Now', I found out that I could get it more cheaply from Cult Pens.

(Actually, I could — was quite tempted to — order two bottles at once at that price, but didn't. It's sold out or "waiting for stock" now.)

Thank you for the review all the same!

:lol: So sorry. Please use responsibly - blunt tip syringes only! :P Glad you were able to find a more affordable dealer, erm, seller.

:P Glad you were able to find a more affordable dealer, erm, seller.

Chasing that dragon bargain has precipitated in my spending another nearly £200 with Cult Pens in three days. :unsure:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Chasing that dragon bargain has precipitated in my spending another nearly £200 with Cult Pens in three days. :unsure:

Take comfort in their undying gratitude? :unsure:

Great review of a true blue ink. It has been my favourite among many true blue inks for many years. A recent comparison between the current shortlist is at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/350217-some-blues/. Even though I'm currently leaning towards the brighter DIamine Blue Velvet, you can clearly see why Visconti Blue remains my benchmark for blue.

Great review of a true blue ink. It has been my favourite among many true blue inks for many years. A recent comparison between the current shortlist is at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/350217-some-blues/. Even though I'm currently leaning towards the brighter DIamine Blue Velvet, you can clearly see why Visconti Blue remains my benchmark for blue.

Thank you! And thanks for the link to the comparison - that really shows off how blue this blue is! :)