Hakase Order Advice

Keyless Works

Thank you so much for the measurements, mongrelnomad! So my cap length is about the same as yours but my barrel is almost 15mm shorter (I requested my Hakase barrel length to be the same as the best fitting pen in length in my collection, a modern Onoto Magna). My Hakase is the smaller model RW10B, so it will be a shorter and a bit slimmer pen than yours. The cap will still be substantial. I was worried that maybe my cap would look proportionately too small, but judging from your measurements, it should be good! Must make through 11 months wait.

Cap length is 61mm, barrel from bottom of cap is 81mm when the pen is closed. Open, from top of section (minus nib) to bottom of barrel is 115mm.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• Linger

• mongrelnomad

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had planned on writing this comment out earlier about Ohasido.

I don't find Ohasido pens comparable to Hakase.

For one, there is a price-point difference by quite a bit. I also consider Hakase more upscale and are purely custom pens.

Secondly, Ohasido pens are much smaller (girth wise) than Hakase. I don't have a comparison between the smaller Hakase models to the Ohasido - this is based on the large Hakase models to the various Ohasido pens I've played with.

Another minute difference is that Ohasido pens take more cap turns out (3.5+) while Hakase is more reasonable.

While it sounds like I consider Ohasido a lower class of pen, I do but I like their pens and they're of good quality and offer unique designs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ohashido. I haven't experienced a Hakase yet but I suspect I will agree with your points.

My first Ohashido was a really pretty red and black urushi model with a solid gold ring. Unfortunately this pen had a very skinny grip section and I just didn't get on with it. I then had a plain black ebonite model with a larger nib and grip section and this pen was pretty comfortable size-wise though still not a big pen.

Thank you so much for the measurements, mongrelnomad! So my cap length is about the same as yours but my barrel is almost 15mm shorter (I requested my Hakase barrel length to be the same as the best fitting pen in length in my collection, a modern Onoto Magna). My Hakase is the smaller model RW10B, so it will be a shorter and a bit slimmer pen than yours. The cap will still be substantial. I was worried that maybe my cap would look proportionately too small, but judging from your measurements, it should be good! Must make through 11 months wait.

Pleasure! Look forward to hearing about your impressions of the pen!

Too many pens; too little writing.

I look forward to your comparison of Ohashido vs Hakase. I have to disagree with previous comments on Ohashido being less appealing, smaller, cheaper, etc. I think they both have their charm. However, for those that doesn't think Ohashido is as charming probably tried the ones that are made by Mr. Uehara's son or apprentice instead of Mr. Uehara himself. I find the ones made by Mr. Uehara has great balance and especially ones with the solid gold balance on the shaft, which you can adjust to your balance point preference. The size are about the same for the large Ohashido's ( see pictures below). Both Ohashido and Hakase nibs write smooth and both pens feel comfortable in my hand. Obviously Hakase's pen is more expensive to order but good luck in getting an original Ohashido by Mr. Uehara, may he RIP. Please enjoy the pictures.

fpn_1599023748__ohashidos_vs_hakase.jpg

fpn_1599023873__ohashido_vs_hakase_full.

fpn_1599023889__ohashido_vs_hakase.jpg

fpn_1599023905__ohashido_vs_hakase_nibs.

I look forward to your comparison of Ohashido vs Hakase. I have to disagree with previous comments on Ohashido being less appealing, smaller, cheaper, etc. I think they both have their charm. However, for those that doesn't think Ohashido is as charming probably tried the ones that are made by Mr. Uehara's son or apprentice instead of Mr. Uehara himself. I find the ones made by Mr. Uehara has great balance and especially ones with the solid gold balance on the shaft, which you can adjust to your balance point preference. The size are about the same for the large Ohashido's ( see pictures below). Both Ohashido and Hakase nibs write smooth and both pens feel comfortable in my hand. Obviously Hakase's pen is more expensive to order but good luck in getting an original Ohashido by Mr. Uehara, may he RIP. Please enjoy the pictures.

fpn_1599023748__ohashidos_vs_hakase.jpg

fpn_1599023873__ohashido_vs_hakase_full.

fpn_1599023889__ohashido_vs_hakase.jpg

fpn_1599023905__ohashido_vs_hakase_nibs.

Gorgeous pens, all. I must admit that I do not know which Ohashidos I tried at Eurobox, but some did have the solid gold band, though they were dainteir and lighter in the hand than yours appears. I would have loved to have been able to sample one of the original Mr. Uehara's pens...

Your Hakase is stunning - and I can see the anniversary two-tone nib there. Is it a horn barrel with an ebony cap?

Thank you. I definitely will. I am pretty sure that I will not be disappointed. The first time I saw Hakase pens on their website, I could tell that I was looking at something special.

Pleasure! Look forward to hearing about your impressions of the pen!

Gorgeous pens, all. I must admit that I do not know which Ohashidos I tried at Eurobox, but some did have the solid gold band, though they were dainteir and lighter in the hand than yours appears. I would have loved to have been able to sample one of the original Mr. Uehara's pens...

Your Hakase is stunning - and I can see the anniversary two-tone nib there. Is it a horn barrel with an ebony cap?

Yes, my Hakase has buffalo horn barrel and African ebony cap with the anniversary nib. It is beautiful and feels very comfortable in my hand.

Yes, my Hakase has buffalo horn barrel and African ebony cap with the anniversary nib. It is beautiful and feels very comfortable in my hand.

Amazing. Is the furniture silver?

Great collection Penbeginner.

As someone that lives in the USA and that does not speak Japanese I found buying them to be relatively difficult. I do believe the red one was made by Mr. Uehara but I am not sure about the other one. I would very much like to have an Ohashido again but in the larger size and in lacquer.

img_0115.jpg

dsc_27601.jpg

Great collection Penbeginner.

As someone that lives in the USA and that does not speak Japanese I found buying them to be relatively difficult. I do believe the red one was made by Mr. Uehara but I am not sure about the other one. I would very much like to have an Ohashido again but in the larger size and in lacquer.

img_0115.jpg

dsc_27601.jpg

That red one is beautiful. Maybe we will meet at the San Francisco international pen show next year. Don't want to be taking over OP thread but it was hard to get an Ohashido in the past. Still looking forward to OP's Hakase but I think it is a 12 months wait right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hakase has launched a snakewood urushi limited edition, 40 pieces. I ordered one, but found out that they no longer offer half payment option. So entire payment must be made upfront instead of half on placing the order and other half one month before completion.

Hakase has launched a snakewood urushi limited edition, 40 pieces. I ordered one, but found out that they no longer offer half payment option. So entire payment must be made upfront instead of half on placing the order and other half one month before completion.

Good to know on both fronts. A bit unfortunate on paying fully upfront but understandable in these times. I think I'll have to shoot an email over for an order...

I ordered one, flat top snakewood. Hakase seems to be doing well. A month ago they had a waiting period of 11 months, and now it is 14 months for regular models.

hgqNQPw.jpg

Edited by Mew

• 2 weeks later...

i ordered my first one in May last year against full payment already. And the second one this year in June as well.

i ordered my first one in May last year against full payment already. And the second one this year in June as well.

Thanks for letting us know. So it doesnt have anything to do with the current situation. My last order was back in 2016 delivered in 2018, so I was not aware of this.

Which models did you order?

Thanks for letting us know. So it doesnt have anything to do with the current situation. My last order was back in 2016 delivered in 2018, so I was not aware of this.

Which models did you order?

The first one (in 2019) was the NJ10A (jade green celluloid) with a Sailor nib in M. The second one (in 2020) is the FB15A (red & black ebonite) with a Pilot nib in F which is due in March.

Similar models, slightly different sizes, different nibs.

I force myself to wait until the experience of these two can tell me what nib to order on the third (african ebony) and fourth (buffalo horn).

• 3 weeks later...

Hakase is discontinuing its turtleshell model. #15 nib stock is over and few left for #10.

Oh wow. That's big news. Thanks for letting us know Mew.