Hakase Order Advice

Keyless Works

After help from the forum I have decided to order a Hakase over an ASC (I hope it is okay that I am making a new thread) and I have a few questions.

I would like to order this pen in black and red ebonite (they do not have a picture in this material so I am showing the cocobolo one)

http://fp-hakase.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CW15C1.jpg

1) Does anyone have a pen in this shape? Would the taper on the back of the pen barrel be uncomfortable or annoying when writing?

2) I am asking for a BB 0.8mm cursive italic nib to be used with average pressure and a fast writing speed. Will a cursive italic be an issue? this isn't one of the options.

3) Should I make the pen designed to post or not post? I am either going to base the size of the pen off of my Parker Centennial Duofold (unposted) or my Aurora Optima (posted). I think unposted might be the safer way. Does anyone have advice on the sizing of these pens? I know I am not supposed to tell them the length.

4) What customizations should I consider? Is there a secret menu of what they can do?

5) Are there two tone nib options?

6) Does anyone know how these pens compare to Ohashidos? I have had a few of them and I think these might be the most similar to a Hakase?

Edited by Keyless Works

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• Linger

• mongrelnomad

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After help from the forum I have decided to order a Hakase over an ASC (I hope it is okay that I am making a new thread) and I have a few questions.

I would like to order this pen in black and red ebonite (they do not have a picture in this material so I am showing the cocobolo one)

http://fp-hakase.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CW15C1.jpg

1) Does anyone have a pen in this shape? Would the taper on the back of the pen barrel be uncomfortable or annoying when writing?

2) I am asking for a BB 0.8mm cursive italic nib to be used with average pressure and a fast writing speed. Will a cursive italic be an issue? this isn't one of the options.

3) Should I make the pen designed to post or not post? I am either going to base the size of the pen off of my Parker Centennial Duofold (unposted) or my Aurora Optima (posted). I think unposted might be the safer way. Does anyone have advice on the sizing of these pens? I know I am not supposed to tell them the length.

4) What customizations should I consider? Is there a secret menu of what they can do?

5) Are there two tone nib options?

6) Does anyone know how these pens compare to Ohashidos? I have had a few of them and I think these might be the most similar to a Hakase?

Firstly, going for one for one of these over an ASC is the best decision you could ever make. Hakases are heirloom pens, ASCs, well...

In answer to your questions:

1. I have the same shape in the Cocobolo wood. It posts securely and comfortably, and the shape is in no way uncomfortable or irritating. I find it adds some great dynamism to the pen.

2. I ordered two nibs with one of my other Hakases - one was a CI with a width equivalent to a European medium. It is a wonderful nib (though a fine lives on that pen currently). If you ask Ryo, I'm sure he can grind any nib you desire.

3. My pen is 14.2cm long closed. When posted, it is 16.2cm. Unposted, it is 12.9cm long. Please bear in mind these are handmade creations and so each will be a bit different. I love the pen posted as the cap is very light and so doesn't disturb the balance.

4. You can ask Ryo for anything. He will not beat about the bush and tell you what is, or isn't, possible. Personally, I've never asked for any changes to the designs, as I find them pretty much perfect.

5. There were two-tone nibs offered as a limited edition a few years ago (for Hakase's anniversary). I personally was not enamoured, and ordered a pen at that time with the single tone nib that I find perfectly complements the furniture.

6. I don't own an Ohashido, but I have handled several at Eurobox in Tokyo. In my opinion, they are far less charming and appealing than Hakases. I may order one if I ever find myself in Tokyo during one of their shows, but I have never purchased any of those I was offered.

Here below is a photo of my Hakases (with my custom Nakayas) - the pen you're looking at is at the end. In my opinion, I'd push for a wooden pen, as I feel that as lovely as the ebonite is, the wooden creations are infinitely more special.

Wg3nebj.jpg

Too many pens; too little writing.

While you await the arrival of your pen you can watch this once a week :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thank you for the info mongrelnomad!

I went for the GW15C. I am asking for a cursive italic BB nib and for a darker black ebony wood. I think this pen will be a very nice first Hakase.

http://fp-hakase.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/GW15C1.jpg

I went for the GW15C. I am asking for a cursive italic BB nib and for a darker black ebony wood. I think this pen will be a very nice first Hakase.

Itll be amazing. Enjoy the wait! ;)

What a great choice! And I agree with mongrelnomad that this is a huge upgrade over an ASC. I have actually been contemplating ordering the exact same model, but I can't settle on a material. How was the ordering process?

The ordering process isn't difficult. You just have to pay attention to how you write and the form is easy to fill out. They ask for photos of your workspace. I sent one of my desk and chair and one of me in the desk and chair writing.

They are very responsive so I sent them my order earlier today and they emailed this evening (morning in Japan) with a Paypal invoice and the full order form filled out.

Picking the material was the hardest part for me. The woods are the most beautiful to my eye but not a pen material I have much experience with so fingers crossed it will hold up okay.

I mean, it'll be forever till you get the pen, but please post pictures when you do. I'm finding that the ebony-Hakase shaped hole in my case is crying out to be filled.

Good afternoon Keyless Works,

I read your post a little too late. First congratulations on your oder, I bet you will love the pen.

I like the shape, is probably my favourite.

Mongrelnomad prefectly provided all the answers to your questions.

I can confirm that the taper on the back of the barrel is not an issue at all.

Anyhow I have to say that I don't like posted pens so my hakase cannot be posted, I believe the taper on my pen is less pronounced for this reason.

The pen measures 15 cm closed and 13.5 unposted. Very comfortable, a true pleasure writing with it.

I also don't own an Ohashido, so I cannot say anything about it.

I suggest to consider also the pen case. I got one and fits the pen as a glove.

Here some old photos on the pen I ordered:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/205802-another-early-delivery-from-hakase/

The wait is long but the joy will be great!! And sometimes an early delivery happens....

I'll wait to see the pictures of your beautiful pen.

Regards

Andrea

Ciao

Andrea

Thank you Keyless Works.

The pen case at that time was 34,650 yen. There were two types, one without flap (as mine) and one with. The one with was 42,000 yen.

The pen hold up nicely, it is as it was 10 years ago. Same for the pen case. Here a photo of the pen and case today

hakase.jpg

Regards

Edited by poppi1971

Ciao

Andrea

Gorgeous pen and case Andrea. I had two made by T MBH as well. There are some wonderful little details - like the hole for the roll-stopper, and the indentation for the clip...

97VeJVJ.jpg

HMSnRLD.jpg

What a gorgeous pen! Honestly this may be the nicest one I have seen. Getting the horn inlay was an inspired choice. Can I ask how much extra that was? I think they may only have darker horn these days (not totally sure), but it looks so nice.

Thank you Keyless Works.

The pen case at that time was 34,650 yen. There were two types, one without flap (as mine) and one with. The one with was 42,000 yen.

The pen hold up nicely, it is as it was 10 years ago. Same for the pen case. Here a photo of the pen and case today

attachicon.gif hakase.jpg

Regards

What a gorgeous pen! Honestly this may be the nicest one I have seen. Getting the horn inlay was an inspired choice. Can I ask how much extra that was? I think they may only have darker horn these days (not totally sure), but it looks so nice.

Good afternoon desgabets,

Sorry for my late reply.

Thank you for your compliments. I have to say that honestly my favourite configuration has always been the turtle shell (same shape as mine) but because of shipping restrictions I wasn't able to pick it.

I also wish I can have a burl one (at the time of my order it was offered a Chinese Quince Burl Japanese lacquer pen).

Anyhow the one I picked was the one I liked more when I was there also considering my budget. I thought I would have selected a wood one but I left the shop with an ebonite instead.

Regarding the inlay I am not sure if this was an option in 2010. The price list I received from Hakase has 9 models with the white buffalo inlay with the following materials: celluloid jade green, celluloid new jade green, and ebonite red and black. Strangely the blue and black ebonite was not offered with the inlay...

The model I purchased has been configured with Mr. Ryo at the Hakase shop. At that time the old pen master was still there, so Mr. Ryo spent time with me showing all the materials and options available.

After selecting the materials, defined dimensions and provided samples of my writing (done in from of him) Mr. Ryo just made the price which I believe was 151,800 yen (including two sepia ink bottles). I am not totally sure about the price because I can only found record of the final payment which was 75,900. I just doubled this value.

The pen case was ordered shortly after I left japan as I regretted immediately that I didn't pick it as well, so was not included in this price.

These are the photos Mr. Ryo sent to me after I left Tottori . The pen is almost the same to the one I ordered but this can be posted.

ebf3.jpg

3c84.jpg

3a70.jpg

Hope this helped.

Regards

Ciao

Andrea

Gorgeous pen and case Andrea. I had two made by T MBH as well. There are some wonderful little details - like the hole for the roll-stopper, and the indentation for the clip...

Thank you mongrelnomad. You pens and pen cases are truly beautiful. I do agree that the little details make this pen cases special. An the way they fit the pen is fantastic...

Regards

Ciao

Andrea

Good afternoon desgabets,

Sorry for my late reply.

Thank you for your compliments. I have to say that honestly my favourite configuration has always been the turtle shell (same shape as mine) but because of shipping restrictions I wasn't able to pick it.

I also wish I can have a burl one (at the time of my order it was offered a Chinese Quince Burl Japanese lacquer pen).

Anyhow the one I picked was the one I liked more when I was there also considering my budget. I thought I would have selected a wood one but I left the shop with an ebonite instead.

Regarding the inlay I am not sure if this was an option in 2010. The price list I received from Hakase has 9 models with the white buffalo inlay with the following materials: celluloid jade green, celluloid new jade green, and ebonite red and black. Strangely the blue and black ebonite was not offered with the inlay...

The model I purchased has been configured with Mr. Ryo at the Hakase shop. At that time the old pen master was still there, so Mr. Ryo spent time with me showing all the materials and options available.

After selecting the materials, defined dimensions and provided samples of my writing (done in from of him) Mr. Ryo just made the price which I believe was 151,800 yen (including two sepia ink bottles). I am not totally sure about the price because I can only found record of the final payment which was 75,900. I just doubled this value.

The pen case was ordered shortly after I left japan as I regretted immediately that I didn't pick it as well, so was not included in this price.

These are the photos Mr. Ryo sent to me after I left Tottori . The pen is almost the same to the one I ordered but this can be posted.

ebf3.jpg

3c84.jpg

3a70.jpg

Hope this helped.

Regards

That is incredibly beautiful. The extra voluptuous curve before the barrel begins to thin is truly beguiling.

That is incredibly beautiful. The extra voluptuous curve before the barrel begins to thin is truly beguiling.

Agree, even if in mine can be noticed less since the end of the barrel in not so thin (by choice). Also the cap has a slight curve in it. It is not straight.

Edited by poppi1971

Ciao

Andrea

Keyless Works,

here the present price for the pen cases

https://fp-hakase.com/en/works/grimaldi2n-1/

Beautiful pen Andrea. The case is nice but at $600 it doesn't make sense for me. I could get a celluloid Hakase for less than that. If I regularly used a pen sleeve like that maybe it would be worth it but at home, where I would be using this pen 99% of the time, I don't like to use that sort of case.

The construction is very nice quality and there is definitely a lot of expensive Japanese labor that goes into it. I would be in at $400.