Hakase Order Advice

Keyless Works

3 hours ago, Mew said:

The first picture with the hakase branded white pack. Never seen that before. What is it? Seems too small for the pen. Has he started sending chocolates? 

Just the pen.  The wood box fits sidewise, although it’s a very snug fit.  All of this was then placed in a shipping box with ample cushioning on all sides.  An attention to detail similar to that which goes into their pens.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• Linger

• mongrelnomad

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Marcwithac said:

Just the pen.  The wood box fits sidewise, although it’s a very snug fit.  All of this was then placed in a shipping box with ample cushioning on all sides.  An attention to detail similar to that which goes into their pens.

Oh now I understand. They replaced the grey wrapping paper with this. 

what’s this new wrapping made of? The one in the first photo? 

On 7/11/2021 at 12:35 AM, Mew said:

Oh now I understand. They replaced the grey wrapping paper with this. 

what’s this new wrapping made of? The one in the first photo? 

Just a plastic bag.  I think the gray wrapping paper you refer to was wrapped around the wood box, but I didn't photograph it.

• 4 months later...

Just an update that I received. 

First batch of snakewood urushi, and only batch of red sandalwood have been sent to the urushi craftsman. 
last batch of orders for tortoiseshell are now shipping out. :)

I learned that one of the red sandalwood pens is already on its way to its anxious new owner. Unfortunately this is not me...I have to have patience until April 2022 for my ebony pen...

@Linger - he must be receiving both the urushi (red sandalwood and snakewood) together. If anyone had ordered snakewood and managed to order red sandalwood, Mr. Yamamoto makes the delivery date of both pens same, I.e. the previously agreed delivery date of snakewood. 
my red sandalwood would have been delivered in May 2022, but Mr. Yamamoto made it February 2022 along with snakewood. 

On 7/6/2021 at 9:14 PM, Marcwithac said:

My turn.  Mine actually arrived a week ago, but I was traveling and did not have it in hand until today.  This one is made from cocobolo wood.  I requested the long version of the scroll clip, included the roll-stop, and had them remove the ring on the section.  The nib is a juicy broad cursive italic.  Although the tapered bottom of the barrel looks darker than the main part of the barrel in my photos, that is due to the lighting; the color is uniform.  Only the section is darker, as that is made from ebonite.  I have not yet inked the pen.  That will have to wait until morning.

031266F4-6BD1-400A-AB82-7AD22420739F.jpeg

66AD9BEF-DAC6-472B-B57F-1DDAADB765A0.jpeg

7463461A-B0C8-4793-BD86-96CF09295366.jpeg

BA44E85D-12CC-413C-854B-D009F3883423.jpeg

97910A82-69A0-4A4B-A61B-E665581B9A28.jpeg

E910A684-D3CF-4A05-BA49-3D09A645BC24.jpeg

I thought I would share an update.  Although I have more fountain pens than I can count and constantly move pens in and out of my regular rotation, my Hakase has been continuously inked for the past four months.  Each time I write with it I reconfirm that it was well worth the cost and the wait.

Just saw the first pics of the red sandalwood pen delivered to its new happy owner. Don't think it has an urushi cover though… But can confirm the deep red is a gorgeous color that sets off the gold trim and nib beautifully. Stellar material!

7 hours ago, Linger said:

Just saw the first pics of the red sandalwood pen delivered to its new happy owner. Don't think it has an urushi cover though… But can confirm the deep red is a gorgeous color that sets off the gold trim and nib beautifully. Stellar material!

where did you see the photos? I’d like to see them as well. :)

4 hours ago, Mew said:

where did you see the photos? I’d like to see them as well. :)

@Mew Well, they were sent to me privately, and I don't want to steal anybody's thunder, they are not mine to share, but I will ask the owner to do so.

• 1 month later...

What a fascinating thread! I wonder if anyone can tell me about the nibs and writing experience of these pens? I may have a a new grail pen....

W.S.P

14 minutes ago, WhiteStarPens said:

What a fascinating thread! I wonder if anyone can tell me about the nibs and writing experience of these pens? I may have a a new grail pen....

You have nib options from Pilot and Sailor. Models with "15" in them are Pilot #15 nibs. The models with "10" in them are Pilot #10 nibs or the Sailor equivalent.

The nibs are customized to the user. I had a Double Broad #15 nib turned into a very smooth cursive italic. It is probably my smoothest nib. The pens are lightweight and comfortable to use. I use my all the time. I love it.

I use a Hakase EOM Sailor nib in M and a Hakase EOM Pilot nib in F, with another EOM Pilot nib in FM on the way - scheduled delivery of the last order was April, but I decided to have the ebony covered in urushi lacquer, so I have to wait another 3 months more.

But I digress.

My nibs are not customized, except for arranging the flow (to a 8/9 on scale to 10), and they both write perfectly. No issues whatsoever. Both are my go-to pens. There are two more on my wishlist.

Unfortunately, my ignorance of Hakase fountain pens couldn't be more complete, and that is a huge shame.

That said, I was speculating over two specific aspects:

1. Is the difference between model 10 series, say 10A, and model 15 series, say 15A, one of size only? And, if so, which of the sizes would be closer to MB149 or Pelikan 1000?

2. The relative durability materials, that is celluloid (Jade Green) vis a vis a vis (Cocobolo), and the relative degree of care required in either case?

I would be truly grateful for whatever light that fellow FPN members may shed on these aspects

15 is the larger

https://fp-hakase.com/en/spec/

The numbers 10 and 15 refer to Pilot nib size

MB148 barrel width: 15.35mm

Hakase Grade 15:  15.1mm or 14.3mm material dependent

The barrel on my #10 1s 14.76mm, and is Ebonite.  It gets the same care as the rest on my pens. As for durability, treated with respect either material will be more durable than me.

Add lightness and simplicate.

@a student I think if you really want the 149, you should go for size 15. As you see here, my size 10 nib would be too proportionately small if you push the body of the Hakase 10 size to a 149 size. Btw, mine is an RW10B. You have freedom to some extend in specifying the barrel a d cap dimensions when ordering. The uptick in price from 10 to 15 is not too bad, considering that it gives both a bigger pen and larger nib.

large.C102C913-37D0-487F-A6B5-BFF310F6A7DB.jpeg.6e057d613abf565ad6a52a7ea1729eb3.jpeglarge.06B1BA1D-D7CD-47AF-B61B-9B7E0C15A5F8.jpeg.32ef6c6340d9b0ffce996894bca6ab08.jpeg

With regards to material choice, in order of stability, it is ebonite, celluloid and wood. If you take care of it and your environment is not too hot and humid, your pen will be fine. I lightly oil mine with lemon oil every several months, and so far it’s been very nice!

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

15 is the larger

The barrel on my #10 1s 14.76mm, and is Ebonite.  It gets the same care as the rest on my pens. As fo

1 hour ago, como said:

@a student I think if you really want the 149, you should go for size 15. As you see here, my size 10 nib would be too proportionately small if you push the body of the Hakase 10 size to a 149 size. Btw, mine is an RW10B. You have freedom to some extend in specifying the barrel a d cap dimensions when ordering. The uptick in price from 10 to 15 is not too bad, considering that it gives both a bigger pen and larger nib.

large.C102C913-37D0-487F-A6B5-BFF310F6A7DB.jpeg.6e057d613abf565ad6a52a7ea1729eb3.jpeglarge.06B1BA1D-D7CD-47AF-B61B-9B7E0C15A5F8.jpeg.32ef6c6340d9b0ffce996894bca6ab08.jpeg

With regards to material choice, in order of stability, it is ebonite, celluloid and wood. If you take care of it and your environment is not too hot and humid, your pen will be fine. I lightly oil mine with lemon oil every several months, and so far it’s been very nice!

15 is the larger

The barrel on my #10 1s 14.76mm, and is Ebonite.  It gets the same care as the rest on my pens. As for durability, treated with respect either material will be more durable than me.

15 is the larger

Thank you both for the helpful information.

Lacquer helps protect the wood? And does it need to be specified in a note (because I could not see a specific space for this addition on the order form)?

I am thinking in terms of the cigar shaped 10A, being the closest to the arguably more common size of fountain pens (Sailor 1911, Namiki, MB, etc). I am not so sure about the different adornments and have no strong feelings about any of them.

1 hour ago, como said:

I thought I had quoted you as well in the above post, but perhaps I missed your post out being not fully conversant with multi quote