Waterman Carene Broken Cap

tleek

Hey all, the cap band separated from the cap on my Carene so the cap is no longer held in place. Customer service invited me to send it to France for repair, but in procrastinated and decided I can just glue it back into place. It would take quite a while for me to get the pen back and it is one of my favorites.

I doubt I will ever sell it, so Im not too worried about ruining its value. I am worried about ruining its aesthetic.

Will a drop of super glue handle this? 2 ton epoxy? Marine epoxy? What would you use?

Thanks

2EB6667A-3025-4BA2-912F-537C2FB63EC1.jpeg

E662A87C-2697-4C3B-A87A-79073E45F645.jpeg

Edited by tleek

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tleek

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would use epoxy, very sparingly, in preference to Super Glue. This will probably need more holding power. After dealing with a clutch ring for the cap on a Montblanc 144, where I used Loctite Threadlocker 290 successfully and still holding, I would consider using the Loctite Threadlocker 290. I was put onto this stuff here, I think by RonZ of Main Street Pens. I tried using Super Glue for this clutching gold ring and it kept coming off, so Super Glue wouldn't hold that. Pulling the cap off of the Montblanc would pull the clutch ring off every time until I used the Threadlocker 290. Maybe someone else can pass on this, because I am not a repair pro.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

You might consider posting this on the Waterman forum as well. Force, who posts there has a good deal of experience with Carene, has repainted them, and other stuff.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

You might consider posting this on the Waterman forum as well. Force, who posts there has a good deal of experience with Carene, has repainted them, and other stuff.

Great idea, thank you.

I used a cheap 2 ton epoxy I had on hand, applied s little with a toothpick, and it seems to have worked for now. Hopefully it holds up.

I used a cheap 2 ton epoxy I had on hand, applied s little with a toothpick, and it seems to have worked for now. Hopefully it holds up.

I am glad you got this straight. I think it might work. I have used five minute set time epoxy to fix other pen problems.

I am glad you got this straight. I think it might work. I have used five minute set time epoxy to fix other pen problems.

I think it’s will hold fine, I will just be careful about cleaning it out with water. It’s not a marine epoxy, just some 5 minute harbor freight stuff I had in laying around. I thought about picking up some devcon but I don’t think it’s necessary and if it falls off again I can clean it up try with something else.

Thanks for the help!