It's Working Again!

essayfaire
Rate Topic 0

So this lovely Estie that I was given has been clogged and I have not been able to get it to write for a number of months. It had been leaking a little bit (which I ascribed to my inexperience with eyedropper-filling a used cartouche), and I had put a bit of silicone grease around the places where the body connects to the nib unit. Then I couldn't get it to write at all.

Usually, when I am doing my pen maintenance, I will fiddle with it a bit. Yesterday, on a lark, I placed its nib on a paper towel that I had just used to blot up a bit of ginger tea. Although I had previously tried capillary action, for some reason this time the ink began to flow again.

I don't know if it was the ginger, time or something else, but I am quite grateful to have this pen working again as it is a pleasure to use and had been very reliable. :D

IMG_0039.jpg

Festina lente

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• PAKMAN

• PaFitch

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's always nice to bring an old friend back into active use! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

Vanness Pens - Now selling Online!

It's always nice to bring an old friend back into active use! Congrats!

Thank you! It's actually a new old friend, as I've had it less than a year even though it isn't a new pen.

Festina lente

You mentioned the use of silicone. It brings both blessings and curses. A loose smear where it shouldn't be can prevent a pen from working just as a careful application helps a pen write (e.g. a light application to a snorkel shaft).

A pen that works is always a delight. Sometimes figuring out how to make a pen write can be a delight too.

Very cool! Is that an Esterbrook A-101? I like those.

I got it from you! I like it very much, which is why I was sad when I suddenly started having problems with it. It seems to be behaving again now. :D

Festina lente

Estycollector

I got it from you! I like it very much, which is why I was sad when I suddenly started having problems with it. It seems to be behaving again now. :D

:lticaptd:

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

• 1 month later...

So now it isn't working again, I'm afraid. I flushed it and tried to make it happy, but I fear it may have a crack somewhere. Here are some pictures; I'm not sure if the divot in the feed section is normal for Esties or not. Any advice?

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

Festina lente