British 1930's & 1940's Button Filler Pens.

Ricky2011

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky2011

• eachan

• northlodge

• Mr.Rene

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having re arranged my collection I noticed three distinct platignum designs.

has anyone got any ideas...@eachan @northlodge @CS388.

thanks

collection.jpg

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.

Having re arranged my collection I noticed three distinct platignum designs.

has anyone got any ideas...@eachan @northlodge @CS388.

thanks

You are probably on to something.

Burnham & Curzon have had some attention given to cataloguing their products, but Wyvern & Mentmore / Platignum despite being similar types of manufacturer have been pretty much neglected. Perhaps you should explore this a little further.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks @northlodge, yes i did ask Andy for some adverts.. and did try rearrange my collection to reflect similar sub models (clips and blind caps) currently searching through images and worthpoint for colours and variations.

noticed that the pink marble on the far right of my picture has a mentmore imprint on it...

Rick

As a word of caution, on the Platignum plastic button fillers, the button screws into place.

Other button fillers that come to mind are the little known ACCA, Voss and Unique also sold a few, although I suspect they were made for them by Lang's or Valentine/ Parker.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you not on other social media platforms... I thought id up date you with my collection of mentmores...

i believe they are mentmores rather than the platignum simply as the ads i have found for the platignum (mostly kindly shared from Andy.) do not show these types of models.

mentmore.jpg

Rick

If it says Mentmore on the barrel and the nib it's a Mentmore. None of those looks like a Mentmore to me.

Edited by eachan

Regards,

Eachan

A couple of the oddest button filler pens I have, acquired while looking for pens "inspired by" rather than imitating Parker 51, are these two, a Wyvern 303 and a Mentmore 46. (Sorry the photo cuts the button off of the Wyvern, in fact apologies all around for the mediocre photo). I believe the era is late 40's to early 50's for these two (but I'm not certain). The Wyvern is a snap cap, the Mentmore is a slip cap.

The Wyvern has a tubular nib not dissimilar to the P51, but as you can see it sticks way out, and as a result is a sort of semi-flex. Yes, it's supposed to be that way, the section is too narrow to get it in any further.

On the Mentmore, the nib is hooded but it's the oddest section design I can remember. That sort of blocky dark part is a seamless part of the section. I'm not at all clear what was the benefit of designing the section this way, but it is distinctive.

fpn_1604264775__british_button_fillers.j

• 1 month later...

some of my latest editions 

unsure how many colours there were. 

great to see the board up and running again. 

thumbnail_IMG_20201202_214945.jpg

P2.jpg

p3.jpg

Rick

• 1 month later...

just discovered that the red one on the top picture.is mentmore. 

thumbnail_IMG_20210125_194132.jpg

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Nice collection...but I do not like button filler system...My experience is not enough ink capacity in this kind of pens...

Best Regards.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Mr Rene. do you have any still would love to see your colours as cannot seem to find out what was produced. 

Rick

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

just thought id update you all on my platignums. Now have 15 of these. 

plat july 2021.jpg

Rick

Thanks Mitto,

would love to see your English pen collection sometime!! the colors of the period and design fascinates me. 

Rick