Normal For Diamine?

Rosendust

Hey everyone, I primarily use and change inks in my Pilot Metropolitan frequently; but I've never had to rinse and re-ink within a day.

Does Diamine tend to run on the dry side or did I just get a drier than usual batch? The ink in question is the shade:

Soft Mint.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ENewton

• Brianm_14

• minddance

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, I primarily use and change inks in my Pilot Metropolitan frequently; but I've never had to rinse and re-ink within a day.

Does Diamine tend to run on the dry side or did I just get a drier than usual batch? The ink in question is the shade:

Soft Mint.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

I use Diamine almost exclusively and I’ve noticed that some colors just seem drier than others - probably not much help as I don’t have any scientific basis for that, just years of using ONLY this ink. For example, I have some “music” specialty bottles that I bought several years ago that all seem dry, but the Pelham Blue and Oxford Blue I picked recently are all wet as I prefer them to be.

I've used a lot of Diamine inks and never found any of them to be too dry. They're mostly just middle-of-the-road in terms of wetness. Never used Soft Mint though.

So I was curious and I quickly googled some reviews. I read a batch of about 5 or 6 of them, and none mentioned the ink being dry. In fact, here are some comments I just cut and pasted from reviews: "it flowed freely", "it flowed well", "was well lubricated"... "has good flow", "average flow" "flows nicely", "very good flow" "excellent! Flows nicely". I assume these to mean that it's not too dry.

Here's a longer comment from an FPN review: "Flow for this ink seems to be high. I suspect a dry fine nib would have no issues. Lubrication was moderate in the pen tested... The writing experience was tricky due to the moderate lubrication..."

Unless there's been a change, maybe you did get a drier than normal batch? Did you switch paper? I find that my Diamine inks flow driest on Mnemosyne, and on Rhodia "R" paper (not very dry, just drier than on other papers).

Try it on different papers, and/or with different nibs.

Some colours tend to dryness regardless of manufacturer. Orangey yellow red spectrum for instance, and some pastels

Heroic measures to reduce dryness and improve flow:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334310-additive-to-make-inks-flow-better/?hl=glycerine&do=findComment&comment=4024621

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321641-shocking-ink-adulteration/

Add lightness and simplicate.

Sometimes it feels dry because the pen still has water in it and the ink becomes a bit dilute at the nib.

Perhaps try leaving it in the pen for a couple of days to see how it behaves.

It happens to me when I'm too much in a hurry to clean out a pen and fill it with a new ink: I was trying Sailor Shigure and found it a bit washed out and dry. After a few hours, the nib lay down a fully saturated line and the ink covered (or lubricated) the tip well and did not feel like I was writing with water.

ETA: it also happened with Diamine's Asa Blue, Vivaldi from the Music set and Regency Blue from the 150th set.

Edited by Jarod

I would imagine that with over 100 different inks not counting the shimmer line that there would be some that lean towards the dry side. The five or six I have lean moderate to wet.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The one Diamine ink I have is Grape, and I found it to dry out so quickly in the nib that the flow would stop as I paused to consider the next phrase within a sentence.

The solution to this problem is to cap the pen whenever the nib is not actually in motion on the page.

I thought soft mint was dry. I was not a fan, but it is also not a super saturated ink which is my normal perferance.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

different colours within the same brand/range can have different writing sensations - could be attributed to flow rate, amount of surfactants, etc.

some reviewers try to play neutral/nice and grade dry inks as having 'moderate flow' or 'no problems with flow', do read reviews judiciously, as always.

Taking a different tack: Perhaps try cleaning your pen with a few drops of dish washing-up liquid in 1/2 cup cool tap water (blue Dawn is the preferred hand dishwashing detergent)? Let the nib and feed unit soak for a while, even overnight. Then be sure to thoroughly rinse with clean, cool water. Shake out the majority of the rinse water, and use a paper towel to wick and coax out even a few more drops.

I've had a couple of inks which seemed on the quite dry side, of various brands, until I did a pen cleaning and assured an unimpeded flow of ink. After sampling quite a few Diamine inks, I'd say that while one can always quibble over colors and hues, the performance characteristics -such as wet/dryness- have always been well-balanced. Can't address your ink specifically from experience, however.

Can't hurt to try a good clean-out.

Brian