• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• clear1

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

• Cyclohexene

Let's start playing the knock-off/homage bingo:

:lol: :lol:

great, all the general comments are covered!

specific comment: I don't like snakes so neither the fake nor the original appeals...(so glad...)

• 2 weeks later...

Let's start playing the knock-off/homage bingo:

1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10

11 12 FS 13 14

15 16 17 18 19

20 21 22 23 24

1: it's a knock-off

2: it's an homage

3: it's fine because they don't use the MB logo

4: the factory making these probably also make the fake MBs

5: it's making the design more accessible

6: people who can afford real MB won't buy it

7: it cheapens real MB

8: it affects real MB sales

9: there are no copyright laws in China

10: they are not infringing any copyright laws

11: the design is old enough for the protection to expire and it's now public domain

12: I would never give my money to fake sellers

13: I would never spend that much money on a real MB

14: *inflammatory remarks about labour law*

15: "Show me what patent they are infringing. You can't, can you!?"

16: I'm not a lawyer, but...

17: but people like it when they copy the P51

18: the P51 is no longer in production, but the MB is still being produced

19: normal people can't afford the real thing

20: people should save up for the real thing if they really want it

21: every pen copies the first FP in history

22: it makes the market more competitive and benefits consumers

23: it kills innovation and originality

24: *off topic comments that derail the thread*

This is a clever and funny summation of the usual debate points, but doesn't it also diminish a legitimate concern? So many of the arguments seem utterly self-serving. And reducing all of them to mundane stereotypes/tropes.

This is a clever and funny summation of the usual debate points, but doesn't it also diminish a legitimate concern? So many of the arguments seem utterly self-serving. And reducing all of them to mundane stereotypes/tropes.

Agreed, most of the arguments presented by both sides are self serving, and the so-called debate never bore any meaningful fruit at the end. Honestly, the people who are most vocal in the argument are the ones who are not going to change their view, hence we find history repeating itself all the time to the point of cliché.

This is a clever and funny summation of the usual debate points, but doesn't it also diminish a legitimate concern?

I don't think it does. Perhaps it encourages some of those who aren't already committed to a position on the issue to not take sides or share the concern, however legitimate it is and however large it may loom on your personal horizon, because they see some other fellow consumers and fountain pen enthusiasts not caring much about it. That does not, however, diminish the concern per se, but merely works against staunch believers who want to gain more traction, influence and/or power by increasing the number of people who stand with them.

Let the ones who think it's a big deal fight it out, as legitimately (or otherwise) as they want, without help from those watching from the sidelines. They can throw money at it; they can take each to court; and they can lobby for governments and politicians to take some action. I personally wouldn't want to intervene or stop the fight, or make the issue go away, or limit the carnage and impact on the participants, who may end up being diminished in defeat on the issue; their success and well-being aren't the actual concern.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this, to me, is a step too far, and quite possibly in direct breach of our import laws such that I think Customs officials would be 'right' to seize the counterfeit goods on entry into the country:

fpn_1599021066__counterfeit_montblanc_pr
Source: AliExpress

Maybe whoever cares enough about Montblanc ought to report it, either to the company or to the marketplace platform operator. I don't; and until the counterfeit goods are within our borders, I suspect there is nothing for the Australian Government to enforce if there isn't an Australian citizen who is behind the commercial production and/or sale of the items.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Is Moonman faking pens? :o

I think they are Wakaka — a brand of which I have never heard, until the other thread in this forum that was started 24 hours ago — and not Moonman pens. As you can see in the photo, it doesn't come with the Moonman-branded paulownia gift box for the F9 model.

Well their distributor selling it branded as a Moonman model , so business and OEM this and that aside, to customer its Moonman committing the offense ; and I do agree this is going too far ... in fact as fa as me personally I think the M600 and M800 already going too far , just as all those straight away Safari clones ... and even some of those straight up 78G clones ..

I can side with the like of the 698M ( metal body, snap cap variant on the 78G theme ) which they take a design, improve on it , and made a pen , this is pretty much the like of what Hero did with the 100 , despite always viewed as a P51 copy, its not its more like a Hero's copy of combining best of P51, P61 and P21 but retain the core ( and complex ) P51 mechanism. I can even side with some of the so call copies cause for real those are too much of a generic style that I do not see anyone copying anyone at all , but straight up just taking a unique design from another brand, another Mfr and simply Copied it over ( even if they downsize it ) its simply the worst way to made a name , but I suppose for many of the Chinese Mfr they really do not care and for good reasons ... $$$$$

And no less we the customers had to bear part of the blame ... I personally never bought any of the Chinese Safari clone ( still end up with almost a dozen of them when people and store gift them to me ) , nor do I had any intention to buy the M600, M800, C1, C2 or Hero's H718 and certainly not this one ... but that's just me ... when ever Moonman or other come up with one of these, people start talking but worse people stat buying .. and that simply further drive the Mfr to do what they do ... and when they do come around and made something their own ... the response is at best casual receptive. And then there are and always will be some model that sit in the middle , like the say T-1 ; & T-2 for sure the general pen styling had a lot to do with some prior model from other name but its combined with its own take o how to take that styling and combine with a pen mechanism ( piston for T-1 and Spring loaded piston for T-2 )

My recent purchase of the Delike stealth black brass pocket pen illustrate pretty much that ... it varies against its prior Element on a lot of concern and shall I say come out a better pen but customer buy the Element exactly because it resemble a certain other model from a certain other name where the new model, despite being an improved design and dare I say a better pen, its just a Delike ... customer can be so hard to please .. LOL

• 1 year later...

Just a thought, but would it be possible to disassemble the pen so as to remove the clip?

The pen itself interests me but I feel as though the snake clip makes it too blatant a Montblanc homage. As per the nib, I can probably replace it with a no. 5 I have lying around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, socialmoth said:

Just a thought, but would it be possible to disassemble the pen so as to remove the clip?

The pen itself interests me but I feel as though the snake clip makes it too blatant a Montblanc homage. As per the nib, I can probably replace it with a no. 5 I have lying around.

I tend to agree about the clip. It's indeed a very blatant copy, plus I find it kind of awkward/cheesy even on the original MBs.

The rest I'm kinda the opposite of you 😉

I don't care much about the pen. It's nicely slim, but I'm not a fan of the captured converter - I'd prefer if Moonman had made it a normal cartrige pen.

The nib(s) on the other hand I love! 🥰 Performance wise they're probably average, but I love the snake and spider design (tho it being a very obvious copy too of course). If the nibs were sold separately, I'd just buy a bunch of them and put them in different pens (the clear Wancai Mini could showcase them nicely, I think) 🤩

1 minute ago, Licue said:

but I love the snake and spider design (tho it being a very obvious copy too of course).

Did Montblanc do a spider version? I remember seeing the snake one, since I was looking at getting my wife one maybe three(?) years ago, but in the ended my dislike/distrust of the Montblanc brand vetoed the purchase.

40 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Did Montblanc do a spider version? I remember seeing the snake one, since I was looking at getting my wife one maybe three(?) years ago, but in the ended my dislike/distrust of the Montblanc brand vetoed the purchase.

Yes.

https://www.der-papierladen.de/produkt/montblanc-heritage-rouge-et-noir-spider-metamorphosis-black-special-edition-fuellfederhalter/

https://www.montblanc.com/de-de/fullfederhalter_cod11452292645802883.html

They seem to be somewhat less well know than the snake version - which is (partly) the reason why I got a spider F9 first.

• 11 months later...

These look really nice. I tried out the Montblanc that inspired this and was unimpressed. Cool pen but $700? Give me a break.

If the bloodsucking capitalists who own MB wanna spend legal fees on going after Moonman, fine whatever. But you ain’t gonna find me reporting Moonman to the authorities on behalf of MB. I don’t work for free.