Mistreated Swans

shalitha33

Sadly following 3 pens are incomplete without nibs and other bits and pieces. All were used as packaging . Received them taped in to envelops / tubes to keep the content of the parcel straight. I am not exactly sure what model they are (especially the red one) or if the caps match the barrels. Red one does not have any imprints other that at the end of the barrel.

fpn_1596504350__img_20200804_130207.jpg

I am not sure if any of these are worth restoring. Two black ones have their pressure bars inside them. Red one doesn't.

fpn_1596504403__img_20200804_131813.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shalitha33

• Greenie

• Cob

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The red one is a late example that I don't collect and can't help you with.

The black with clip is a nice leverless. If the bar is inside and rotates with the end knob, all it needs is a section and feed.

The longer black one is a later leverless based on the imprint. Does it appear to have a missing clip? Some of these were clipless by design. Again, if the bar is here and rotates, it just needs nib and feed.

The question about "worth restoring" is a tough one. Basic black pens are often raided for parts to fix more attractive or even less common celluloid patterned pens. The sections and filler knobs/bars might be worth as much as the pens.

They are worth keeping as parts, or to complete when parts come to you as the often do when you collect.

The clipless black pen appears strange to me. The first Leverless is curiously short - but the cap suggests it is from the late 1930s and superficially resembles a L212/60 or 0160 - there should be a number stamped ont he end of the barrel.

As for the longer black pen, the cap may not be original. It would be nice to see the top of the cap in more detail. It appears to be a type of cap from the mid 1930s. These had quite a short-lived clip design that had two curved prongs that were pushed around a waisted section of the clip screw. If this one did have a clip there should be a small slot in the top edge of the cap that accepted the clip.

Otherwise I echo what Greenie has said. The red pen is a plastic Biro Swan product and not remotely in the same class as the otehr two.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Its very likely that i got the caps mixed up.

I had few pens in parts form and just combined what i thought came with the other part.very likely i messed up. Only barrel that has a number out of the parts pens is the 42 stenograph. rest doesn't have any numbers as far as i can see, both barrels have the wrap around type pressure bars, badly discolored 3161 is for size comparison.

Unfortunately i don't have anything to take a decent photo currently (middle of the night here) i will try to take a better pic tomorrow.

fpn_1596538831__img_20200804_225538.jpg

fpn_1596538862__img_20200804_225234.jpg

fpn_1596538884__img_20200804_224258.jpg

fpn_1596538932__img_20200804_225052.jpg

Thank you both for the advice on where to look.

I think the wired looking cap is a custom made replacement. Inner cap looks wrong and there is something between the cap and the inner cap. its showing with a copper color. I'm assuming there is a metal sleeve in there. It also could be dried ink showing a copper shade, sorry its difficult say without good light :(.

fpn_1596540388__img_20200804_231723.jpg

fpn_1596540412__img_20200804_231956.jpg

Thanks again for the info :).