You're Crazy! That Costs How Much?!?

MadAsAHatter

I like that. The whole root cause of the "... you're crazy!" thing is that people often can't see beyond their own viewpoints and sensibilities, as if they prefer to be wilfully and blissfully unaware there are others unlike them in the world. Exposing them to other viewpoints, and preferably in a way to show them their own is neither the only valid ones (but that doesn't mean invalidating their specific viewpoints), nor representative of the collective of the group in which they and I are equal members, is good for their cognitive horizons, with or without initial shock due the revelation.

Pics, or it didn't happen!

Hang on... you'd probably need to have a smartphone handy to take that pic, and send them electronically to whom it may concern.

The camera on my phone has certainly relieved me of needing to have pen and paper on hand in shops to note down prices and availability of certain products on a given day.

Well that and I haven't had a hand written note since high school. Though there very well may be an old box of misc. (bleep) in my attic that still includes an old note. Problem with the hand written notes was they weren't really any more permanent than a text message because one girl would make you get rid of the notes from the last...

Still. We're moving in a few months so if I discover one while emptying the attic I'll share for the sake of nostalgia :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Mysterious Mose

• bemon

• Estycollector

"We" don't use our "phones" more than our pens.

I would be very happy if "phones" were simply phones; telephone devices cheap and simple and service costs low.

And hand held multi-purpose devices could be as expensive as the market permits; with data plans matching whatever desire the person wants to pay.

"We" as a general term for all people definitely do use our phones more than pens. But I suppose you could make a good argument that "We" as general term for people in this forum may not.

I definitely do use my phone or iPad more than my pens for work. It's 10 am and I've already drained a quarter of my phone's battery taking videos, replying to emails and and listening to my book. But I'd like to get in the habit of writing by hand at home more.

Problem with the hand written notes was they weren't really any more permanent than a text message because one girl would make you get rid of the notes from the last...

A few written and/or drawn by my wife (who wasn't my wife then) a decade ago, and even a greeting card she made for me with some quilling, are still posted on the "blank canvas" side of the fridge.

There's also one on the fridge door to remind me we need to buy coconut milk for her curry dish, written with a Daiso-Hauser fountain pen. I think her remark about that pen was, "Wow, this pen writes so well and cost so little compared to your other pens? That's crazy!"

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A few written and/or drawn by my wife (who wasn't my wife then) a decade ago, and even a greeting card she made for me with some quilling, are still posted on the "blank canvas" side of the fridge.

There's also one on the fridge door to remind me we need to buy coconut milk for her curry dish.

By the time my wife and I met we didn't hand write notes unfortunately. We met on the subway on the way to work, one day I left work the same time as her and asked her to walk with me to the gym. When I got there I asked for her phone, put my number in it and said "ball's in your court.". Who says romance is dead?

But I do like to use my pens when I write her cards. I should probably do more note writing too.

I still have a handwritten note my husband left for me over 35 years ago.

It's hidden in my purse, out of the light, but still the paper has yellowed a bit. It only comes out when I get a new purse and need to move everything over. I haven't looked at it very often, but I don't forget it's there, I don't think he knows I still have it.

We have our 30th wedding anniversary coming up in a few months. I doubt we'll go out or do much to mark the day, but will probably swap handwritten cards as we usually do.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

My best friend and her long-term partner exchange small written notes every day. He has to get up practically in the middle of the night to go to work and leaves her a note she finds when she gets up to have breakfast.

Then she leaves him a note before she goes to work which he finds when he comes home in the afternoon.

And yes, of course they are written with fountain pens in their best hand.

These small (about 8 x 8 cm) notes have piled up for years now. They stack them into cubes, secured with elastics, and each cube is a testimony to their love and affection.

What a lovely story. Your friends are clearly devoted to each other, Carola.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I wish my bf and I could exchange letters, but he has said countless times that he'd break my Fountain pens due to his grip.

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

I wish my bf and I could exchange letters, but he has said countless times that he'd break my Fountain pens due to his grip.

So get him an all-metal fountain pen in aluminium or brass. I doubt his grip can break a brass Delike Alpha or even a Diplomat Aero, unless he heavily-handedly deforms the nib, but then that would have little to do with his grip or pen hold.

Edited: Needed my morning coffee

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Definitely will try that, thanks

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

"We" as a general term for all people definitely do use our phones more than pens. But I suppose you could make a good argument that "We" as general term for people in this forum may not.

I definitely do use my phone or iPad more than my pens for work. It's 10 am and I've already drained a quarter of my phone's battery taking videos, replying to emails and and listening to my book. But I'd like to get in the habit of writing by hand at home more.

The definition you used for "we" is not a primary definition or even a secondary one. And, based on the context you were writing, "we" would refer to the audience you were writing to and that you were including yourself in,,he second use you indicated.

I used "We", sometimes refered to as the Royal "We" as in ""We" are not amused" or "What may I ask does "We" desire my liege". When a commoner such as myself uses the Royal "We" it typically is meant and taken as a gentle and slightly jovial poke at the other person. One does this when one perceives that someone is doing something a bit oft puting, such as making a broad sweeping generalization without evidence of support, a fallacy of logic. Typically it is done to show a person that they have stepped over the line just a bit, subtly.

I am sorry if this seems all bit too much, but I am the kind of person who as example when asked the question who makes your favorite donuts I would respond "well Timmies was" and if pressed why was I would respond "I preferred them fresh baked". I would do that rather than respond to the question of who makes my favorite donuts with "I used to like Tim Hortons donuts, but hate the lousy pre baked things that they now sell. The old ones had no shelf life, which was why they made them around the clock and discarded them like old coffee. The new ones you can't tell the difference, they taste day old no mater when you buy them. All to save a looney."

The definition you used for "we" is not a primary definition or even a secondary one. And, based on the context you were writing, "we" would refer to the audience you were writing to and that you were including yourself in,,he second use you indicated.

I used "We", sometimes refered to as the Royal "We" as in ""We" are not amused" or "What may I ask does "We" desire my liege". When a commoner such as myself uses the Royal "We" it typically is meant and taken as a gentle and slightly jovial poke at the other person. One does this when one perceives that someone is doing something a bit oft puting, such as making a broad sweeping generalization without evidence of support, a fallacy of logic. Typically it is done to show a person that they have stepped over the line just a bit, subtly.

I am sorry if this seems all bit too much, but I am the kind of person who as example when asked the question who makes your favorite donuts I would respond "well Timmies was" and if pressed why was I would respond "I preferred them fresh baked". I would do that rather than respond to the question of who makes my favorite donuts with "I used to like Tim Hortons donuts, but hate the lousy pre baked things that they now sell. The old ones had no shelf life, which was why they made them around the clock and discarded them like old coffee. The new ones you can't tell the difference, they taste day old no mater when you buy them. All to save a looney."

$5 says your reply triggers a debate about who makes the best donuts.

… who makes the best donuts.

My wife. You won't ever hear me declare otherwise, irrespective of objective truth.

$5 says your reply triggers a debate about who makes the best donuts.

Quite possibly.

The example was just that, an example to explain myself.

I chose one you might be a bit familiar with and heard previously which illustrated how different people reacted to and expressed simialer positions, but in different ways.

It did express my opinion however on what has happened to Tim Hortons. I am so old that I remember when the stores actually were bakeries and you could order and get good fresh baked cakes from them. This was back in the day when they also we're,still using Rogers syrup.

Currently if I want a good donut I can't just stay in my small town and go to the local Timmys. Instead it's a 15 mile drive to get to a real bakery called Schneiders which makes them in the style of a Berliner. Not quick, or easy and at $1.10 a roll, not cheap, but my wife agrees,well worth it.

And now to digress further. I don't mind when a large corporate chain such as Tim Hortons comes to town and sells a franchise, provides a good product and hastens the demise of a local competitor which is selling an inferior product at a higher price. What I mind is when they do the first part and then, once they have established themselves lower the quality of the product they sell while keeping the price up. By then their competitors are long gone and given the entry cost they can and do not have competitors. It technically is not bait and switch, but it feels like it.

Now, back to the first digression. Does anyone know of any chain which makes a great donut? Please do not restrict yourself to the North American market if you are familiar with one not there. And as a matter of background regarding the Tim Hortons situation, it is an Ontario, Canada originated coffee shop which a venerated Hockey player was involved in the formation of, thus having his name on them. It has been franchised and has spread across Canada and the parts of the U.S. adjoining Ontario as well as some other places in the U.S. They used to have professional bakers at each shop who went in vey early in the morning to freshly bake donuts and other baked goods. They used very high quality ingrediants such as Rogers Syrup, a Canadian liquid sugar product. A few years ago The Tim Hortons Corperation in an effort to increase profitability required the purchase of prepaid frozen donuts produced by or for the Corperation by central bakeries. This created a significant cost to franchisees who subsequently sued Tim Hortons. The result was an elimination of all actual baking at each Tim Hortons store in favor of the thawing and preparing of previously frozen donuts as the other products were also dropped. The problem for consumers is the donuts that result taste like what they are, thawed frozen donuts. In particular the dough is not good in too many ways to describe here and in some markets Timmys had long before not only eliminated the local coffee shop, they had eliminated the local bakery and so there also was no longer a local source for a fresh baked cake.

Edited by Parker51

Well, I'm a fan of Dunkin Donuts, myself, ever since the four years we lived in the Boston Metrowest (I like their coffee, too) -- I knew where every DD was within a 20 mile radius of my house. B) Tim Hortons? I will eat their muffins (last year there was one practically walking distance from where I stayed for the Ohio Pen Show). Krispy Kreme? I just laugh and point (they tried to move into Western PA and got no traction, and had to close their Cranberry location entirely, whereas DD is popping up all over the Pittsburgh area. I've been told that if they're fresh out of the oven Krispy Cremes are good -- but I've found their glazing to be too sicky-sweet for me, and they use artificial sweeteners, which my husband reacts badly to.

But then, I be a northern girl who has lived entirely above the Mason-Dixon Line, and don't like sweet tea either.... We had to start serving sweet tea at the booth, down in MS because people kept asking for it (fortunately, the first year someone working for us knew how to make it, but he made "North Carolina sweet" and we watched people from the "Deep South" *ADD* sugar to it because we weren't making "Mississippi sweet"... :sick:).

I am happy that there are now some Waffle Houses up north, though. Good cheap breakfast. But my husband and I made the mistake of stopping at one for dinner, driving back from Florida. And got the same gristly steak that they serve for breakfast.... :(

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I'm a fan of Dunkin Donuts, myself, ever since the four years we lived in the Boston Metrowest (I like their coffee, too) -- I knew where every DD was within a 20 mile radius of my house. B) Tim Hortons? I will eat their muffins (last year there was one practically walking distance from where I stayed for the Ohio Pen Show). Krispy Kreme? I just laugh and point (they tried to move into Western PA and got no traction, and had to close their Cranberry location entirely, whereas DD is popping up all over the Pittsburgh area. I've been told that if they're fresh out of the oven Krispy Cremes are good -- but I've found their glazing to be too sicky-sweet for me, and they use artificial sweeteners, which my husband reacts badly to.

But then, I be a northern girl who has lived entirely above the Mason-Dixon Line, and don't like sweet tea either.... We had to start serving sweet tea at the booth, down in MS because people kept asking for it (fortunately, the first year someone working for us knew how to make it, but he made "North Carolina sweet" and we watched people from the "Deep South" *ADD* sugar to it because we weren't making "Mississippi sweet"... :sick:).

I am happy that there are now some Waffle Houses up north, though. Good cheap breakfast. But my husband and I made the mistake of stopping at one for dinner, driving back from Florida. And got the same gristly steak that they serve for breakfast.... :(

edited for typos

Hi Ruth, just wanted to let you know that the reason that Waffle House has such good prices is that they recycle the morning steaks that people don't finish and serve them to the evening diners!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lticaptd:

Just kidding of course (I hope)!! :glare:

As for donuts? Next time you come to the Commonwealth Pen Show (2021 hopefully) let me know you will be there and I will bring you some REAL donuts from Jim"s Donuts here in Gloucester, MA. Unlike the mass produced ones from DD or TH these have substance and actually have the old fashion donut taste. He makes many different varieties including one called "Boston Cream" that is better than the DD ones. Don't think I have ever had a TH donut so I can't compare. As for KK, if you want some donut with your sugar that's definitely the way to go.

Finally, I can't speak about the coffee anywhere because I have NEVER tasted coffee. No, not coffee ice cream,iced coffee or anything else that has coffee in it. My recipe for chocolate mousse calls for some Kahlua and I eliminated that because of my NO COFFEE policy.

Oh well, got to go now. They just delivered a MB 144 that I bought on the bay.

Best to you and stay well and safe...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Hi Ruth, just wanted to let you know that the reason that Waffle House has such good prices is that they recycle the morning steaks that people don't finish and serve them to the evening diners!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lticaptd:

Just kidding of course (I hope)!! :glare:

Ruth -- You're glad Waffle House has opened up in the north???! We were introduced to the Waffle House when we lived in Charlotte, North Carolina. They did not form a favorable impression.

We also got out taste of sweet iced tea. "Would you like your tea now or when we serve the food?" "It's coffee, not tea, and we'll take it now."

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

The new sweet tea saying for me is half and half when eating out. The tea I brew myself is Salada green and some natural flavor that Twinnings or Tazo package.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"