Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Bock Nibs Leaking?

KingRoach

Dear all,

I've recently tried 3 bock nibs (all new), all with three sealed cartriges, and all 3 nibs, when pointing downwards, would collect ink quickly between the fins, and if I write like that would burp the ink on paper. None of my other Bock nibs that I've had for a while did this.

Now I have another one in hand (for someone else), and it's doing the same thing, using a converter.

I am sure there is no air leak anywhere, and to be honest, 4 nibs is way too much of a coincidence. What are your thoughts please?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newton Pens

• KingRoach

• Honeybadgers

• Karmachanic

Weird. Were the 3 cartridges all from the same box? It's possible that bock nib unit just doesn't play nice with that cartridge - "standard international" is a bit misleading, since there is enough variety in that for quite a lot of cartridges and converters to fit some but not others.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thaks for passing by. The cartridges are definitley the good varity and have been used with other pens, even other Bock nibs. This happened with a good quality converter just before that too, which is where I blamed the convertr and moved to the cartriges.

Really weird.

Dear all,

I've recently tried 3 bock nibs (all new),

How many pens? Screw-in housings, or did you pull the nibs? Might not be a cartridge problem.

Edited by Karmachanic

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

3 new nibs and 1 used nib. Different inks. No cracks in nib housings and all screw-in units. Full seal between the nipple and cartrige, before you ask.

I'm sure you checked, but I can think of only two other possibilities. Nib/feed not firmly seated, or housing not fully and firmly screwed in. To be doubly sure I'd be inclined to pull the nib/feed and re-seat, ensuring that the shoulders of the nib are not forward of the shoulders of the feed.

Edited by Karmachanic

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

I'm sure you checked, but I can think of only two other possibilities. Nib/feed not firmly seated, or housing not fully and firmly screwed in. To be doubly sure I'd be inclined to pull the nib/feed and re-seat, ensuring that the shoulders of the nib are not forward of the shoulders of the feed.

I've checked and then rechecked.

I've had an older nib which worked. I swapped feeds between this and a "leaking" nib, and the leak followed the feed.

I'm sure these feeds are allowing more air in than they should but I cannot for the life of me see how they could be doing that. They don't seem to have anything different about them, even very up close.

And yes I've checked alignment, positioning, and how deep a feed is going and where the nib is sitting, and how high I'm wearing my socks when I test them. Everything. It's just a real puzzle.

I hope to figure it out as I don't want this to happen often. :(