What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

This Sheaffer 6 has been getting a lot of use lately. I've had a few Waterman 7 Pinks and this 6 Self-Filling nib is better than any of them. 

IMG_1276.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• JonSzanto

• Penguincollector

• NumberSix

Some Sheaffers that inhabit my drawers. I changed my opinion about the Sheaffers after acquiring a lot of fountain pens where there were two Snorkels. I have always found them uncomfortable for the way I write, well, I am enjoying my Snorkel well and am surprised myself more and more. Regards

WP_20210113_14_58_26_Rich.jpg

A couple of weekends ago I found a Sheaffer school pen with a translucent red barrel, and a nib marked 304 (which I gather means it's a fine).  It still had a (mostly dead) cartridge of Skrip Red, which I was able to reconstitute just a bit, so I know the pen works.  Three bucks.  :thumbup:

Does anyone know offhand what model converter to get for the pen?  [I can't wait for the pandemic to be over -- I so miss having pen shows.... :crybaby:]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I'm not a Sheaffer collector, so I don't really have a collection. And, I'm hoping these depart soon so some pens I do collect can arrive!

231842828_SheafferTray.thumb.jpg.42cdc8467a5632cc4c64cf62fc85a1fd.jpg

Wow -- is that one with the filigree overlay (fifth from the right) a Sheaffer?  That would make five brands (that I know of) which use the same overlay design (the others being Waterman, Morrison, Townsend -- and IIRC -- Eclipse); I have a couple of Morrison ringtops with a gold filled filigree overlay, and finally got my hands on one with a sterling silver overlay to go with it last year.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, Ruth, it is a Sheaffer. They are all Sheaffer pens. Stuff I picked up while looking for other stuff.

Vacuum Fill

Vacuum Fill

Vacuum Fill Screaming Souls OS

Autograph

Vermillion Admiral Snorkel (with red section)

GF overlay

GF filigree

Hand engraved sterling overlay

GF Pygmy/Pigmy

GF No.1

GF No.1

Kewl....

Which one can you not live without, Ruth? Speak quickly.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

:lol:

Actually feeling a bit poor at the moment, since I just got a shipment from Anderson Pens, today (a day earlier than the original ETA :D, BTW!) with a couple of Sailor 1911S pens -- Wicked Witch and Loch Ness Monster (and because they're both North American exclusives, I knew I couldn't find any overseas dealers to order them from and save money.... 

I was just amused to find another company using that same design of overlay.  Although the (presumably sterling silver) one to the right of it in the photo is pretty....  

I know better than to drool over the Vermillion Snorkel (and of course am muttering "don't need another Snorkel, don't need another Snorkel.... can NOT afford a Vermillion Snorkel" under my breath.

Soft voice heard eerily whispering to Ruth:

Ruth, Ruth, they could all be yours...Ruuuuuth....Ruuuuuuthhhhh......they could ALL be yours.....

Já estão aqui há algum tempo. Hoje eles voltaram à vida. Boa limpeza e novos sacos de tinta.
Ambos feitos no Brasil. O preto tem a tampa revestida a ouro 18k.

WP_20210120_18_05_03_Rich.jpg

WP_20210120_18_06_48_Rich (2) .jpg

WP_20210120_18_04_35_Rich (2).jpg

Edited by Switala
wrong picture

3 hours ago, crescentfiller said:

Soft voice heard eerily whispering to Ruth:

Ruth, Ruth, they could all be yours...Ruuuuuth....Ruuuuuuthhhhh......they could ALL be yours.....

Ha ha.  No.  Feeling kinda broke, and we got the water bill and a credit card bill in the same mail as the Anderson Pens order. 

Besides -- I'm already having trouble keeping track of which of two black Snorkels and a Touchdown are which.  All I would need is ANOTHER ringtop with an overlay that looks like my two Morrison ringtops (the second one was when I thought I'd lost the first one).  More importantly, my husband and I may have to start helping foot the bill for his mom's hospice care.  :( (You think PENS are expensive....)

ETA: Oh, and I still have to save up for the repairs on the two Snorkels I bought last summer and fall.  And the 1920s era Sheaffer flattop lever filler I paid six bucks for a couple of years ago.... All of which will cost more than what I paid for the pens to begin with....:headsmack:

• 3 weeks later...

A Balance just arrived. But I need to find a suitable Nib for him.

The mechanism works well, but I don't like the color, I disassembled it to try to improve the transparency.

WP_20210208_11_26_28_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210208_11_27_12_Rich (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got three Lifetime Imperials, one a VI with a chrome cap and grey body, one a maroon IV, and one a fully gold-plated (I presume) IV (again, presuming, I didn't look it up, don't know if there are all-metal IV's). All cartridge/converter, because (sorry if this is heresy) I don't much like Touchdown fillers. But I do love those inlaid nibs, the ones with the long, long diamond inlay, I love the way they write, and I love the form factor, the way the pens fit in my hand, and even the slip caps. 

Here’s a couple of new acquisitions....

Both WWII era wide-bands are vac-fills (I thought they all were, until I saw a lever filled one which has gotta be pretty rare methinks....)

the silver/gray stripe is basically mint, quite a shine!  After seeing a bunch of brassed silver-trim pens, I had to grab this one

the black wide-band had no transparency...until I cleaned out a bunch of purple (!) ink and now a bit of light shines through

As you can see, the green oversized positively dwarfs even a full-sized balance.  The black one has a name imprinted in gold, I’m considering what it would take to “wash out” the gold, but definitely keep the engraving...just not the bling 😉

75307E30-761C-49A4-9EB8-AF3E2657C025.jpeg

On 1/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, inkstainedruth said:

:lol:

Actually feeling a bit poor at the moment, since I just got a shipment from Anderson Pens, today (a day earlier than the original ETA :D, BTW!) with a couple of Sailor 1911S pens -- Wicked Witch and Loch Ness Monster (and because they're both North American exclusives, I knew I couldn't find any overseas dealers to order them from and save money.... 

I was just amused to find another company using that same design of overlay.  Although the (presumably sterling silver) one to the right of it in the photo is pretty....  

I know better than to drool over the Vermillion Snorkel (and of course am muttering "don't need another Snorkel, don't need another Snorkel.... can NOT afford a Vermillion Snorkel" under my breath.

I hope you like the Loch Ness color as much as I did. Goes perfectly with Sailor Studio 442. :D

So far this year, I have added four lovely classic Sheaffers to my collection. 
Left-to-Right:
  • Sheaffer Targa (14k M)
  • Sheaffer 330 (M)
  • Sheaffer Triumph Imperial (M)
  • Sheaffer PFM v1
The Targa and the Triumph Imperial are today's new additions. 

That PFM is a big ol' boy, ain't he?

MJTP2Jk.jpg

I think my next order from Peyton Street will be a 440, to go alongside my 330. I didn't like the metal cap 440 at first, but it's growing on me. And I just love that form factor. The pen is small but not too small. It writes great, and it takes a modern twist converter no problem. 

On 3/8/2021 at 9:32 AM, NumberSix said:

That PFM is a big ol' boy, ain't he?

You ain’t kidding!!  I thought the Imperials were much closer in size to the PFM, no wonder the PFMs are so special (along with the snorkel, groundbreaking design, historical importance, among other things!!)

Your PFM is exactly the model I’d want, black cap, perfect!