What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

I’m very pleased to have this new Sheaffer I don’t have many self filler nibs, so to get a number 3 self filler is very nice. I cleaned and sacked this one the only drawback to this one is the lack of soft flex with the nib, not a lifetime stiff but not a calligraphy pen though. I think the clip is 14k although only a tiny bit of marking for it is visible.

0250402A-28AA-4D02-A3A9-304A2E6F375A.jpeg

CCF5C0A5-BECA-4B15-8811-7CC1F997D232.jpeg

42A30C00-0B59-4195-86B2-426E805F3609.jpeg

Regards, Glen

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• JonSzanto

• Penguincollector

• NumberSix

18 minutes ago, GlenV said:

I’m very pleased to have this new Sheaffer I don’t have many self filler nibs...

That is a lovely pen, no matter the relative flexibility of the nib! Congratulations.

I"m very pleased to have recently received the following set: early Sheaffer OS Balance in black/pearl, with two pencils and... a pen knife! The latter does not appear to be a Sheaffer product but an exact match on the celluloid of the time. From a one-owner family, passed down. I'll take good care of them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Those are very nice, maybe the penknife was made from the same celluloid. It’s that much more special to have some background information on them...

Regards, Glen

1 hour ago, GlenV said:

Those are very nice, maybe the penknife was made from the same celluloid. It’s that much more special to have some background information on them...

In side-by-side comparisons there is no doubt it is the same material. Not surprising, since there were only a handful of manufacturers making it that the various other makers bought from. There is ID inside the sliding part of the knife, a now-defunct tool mfg company in Chicago. 

The set was bought by grandparents, handed down, and now the grandchildren are helping parents to downsize. It seemed a nice way to keep them well thought of.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...

My Targa order from @terim (thanks 🤗) and my Snorkel restore from Danny Fudge all arrived! 

• Targa FP (F), black matte
  • Targa ballpoint
  • Targa pencil
  • Snorkel (F), triumph nib

All items purchased as New Old Stock (NOS). I sent the snorkel off for innards-work anyway - because who can trust the sac and seals after all these years?

They’ll be perfect alongside my black/gold PFM III and the pencil that matches the Snorkel.

Ta, @gweimer1 , for the gorgeous Snorkel set. 

0DA96F43-E656-433D-8D46-4A6CE1344D71.thumb.jpeg.6a5a109f146483c33530e493e5aa08a1.jpeg

• 1 year later...

74ED2575-E2E4-41A5-A97A-EEC91EED5705.thumb.jpeg.7c2cbb52c08c2b5c645311ffa688828f.jpeg

My new to me Sheaffer snorkel 112SKYB (on the right)

The perfect match to my 112SKY. 
Now i just need to win the lottery so I can get a masterpiece…

The pen arrived filthy with old ink. Crusty. I suspect it was iron gall. It came out as hard little dust bits instead of staining the water like a dye based ink usually does. 

I soaked and sonicated the section/nib and snorkel for almost a week with water and a few drops of dawn. 

I don’t currently have the parts to redo a snorkel (I have three or four pens waiting for them…) but just for fun I put it back together and lo and behold it took up ink and wrote IMMEDIATELY. Didn’t even need the few seconds for the ink to fill the feed. Just BAM! writing. With a perfect, soaking wet, fine line :) 

I realize that at some point I will have to redo the sac and seals. But for now, I’m gonna enjoy this small victory. 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

• 1 month later...

I just bought this Sheaffer, I think it’s a compact cartridge pen, but not really sure. I reckon it is because of the shape of the cutout. The pictures are from the seller.  

BCE7C2B6-3C84-4127-88EB-25EFE1EBD020.jpeg

B8550F62-2024-4C56-A0BD-B486FB783C72.jpeg

62564B74-42A5-4616-AC67-9746905A15F2.jpeg

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Grey Parker 45 GT, Octanium F nib, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

On 4/13/2021 at 8:43 PM, JonSzanto said:

That is a lovely pen, no matter the relative flexibility of the nib! Congratulations.

I"m very pleased to have recently received the following set: early Sheaffer OS Balance in black/pearl, with two pencils and... a pen knife! The latter does not appear to be a Sheaffer product but an exact match on the celluloid of the time. From a one-owner family, passed down. I'll take good care of them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Only just caught up on this.  Those are spectacularly gorgeous!    I have a similar black/pearl OS, with an amazing broad oblique nib.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

4 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I just bought this Sheaffer, I think it’s a compact cartridge pen, but not really sure. I reckon it is because of the shape of the cutout. The pictures are from the seller.  

BCE7C2B6-3C84-4127-88EB-25EFE1EBD020.jpeg

B8550F62-2024-4C56-A0BD-B486FB783C72.jpeg

62564B74-42A5-4616-AC67-9746905A15F2.jpeg

You can start here:

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperial and Triumph/Imp Triumph Ref List.html

i have a 440 in dark blue and a couple steel ones (444XG) all are great :)

congrats on yours!

On 11/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

You can start here:

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperial and Triumph/Imp Triumph Ref List.html

i have a 440 in dark blue and a couple steel ones (444XG) all are great :)

congrats on yours!

Oh yeah, I love looking at that site- it’s  a long standing go to. The certificate expired, so I’m always afraid it’s going to go away, but so far, so good.   I also have a blue 440 in EF- pen twins! I love the inlay, have since I used a matte black GT Targa  1003s in high school. I miss that pen, it’s What inspired this impulse buy. Thank you, btw. I was thoughtless and appreciate your congratulations. 

• 2 months later...

Picked up a Sheaffer Tuckaway in late November for a song.  Unfortunately the barrel is badly cracked and has resisted my attempts at repair.  I am going to tape it up to use as my walking around pen until I can find a replacement barrel.

IMG_2612.jpeg

A very basic black, late OS Balance (sometimes called a Premiere). Purchased almost solely for the nib, a nice looking (and now that I have it, performing) stub. I have a couple black one so I believe this nib will end up in a period-correct OS of another material, and a good (and proper) nib will come into this and go out into the world. I just have too many Fines from this era, but my word how I love these early-ish Lifetime nibs!

spacer.png

spacer.png

~ Benjamin Franklin

On 1/8/2023 at 9:14 AM, LBKINDY said:

Picked up a Sheaffer Tuckaway in late November for a song.  Unfortunately the barrel is badly cracked and has resisted my attempts at repair.  I am going to tape it up to use as my walking around pen until I can find a replacement barrel.

IMG_2612.jpeg

I have one just like it.  And broken in the same place. Good luck with your search for a replacement.

About a month and a half ago I picked up a pair of Snorkels (each in what I think is the original box, at an estate sale company's warehouse sale (50% off most everything in the place).

One is a Burgundy Admiral, with what might be an EF nib; the other is I think a black Clipper, which might have an F nib; the box had two loops but was missing what I suppose was a pencil from the set (of course, wouldn't you know -- I've now misplaced it AND the box :wallbash:).  Found both pens in plastic tubs in a glass front case at the sale (also got a glass thermometer in its original box and which included a two-piece case with a clip on the cap (I presume for use in a doctor's office or hospital).

Hoping to get both checked out (and repaired if necessary) at the next pen show I get to.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 1/9/2023 at 10:22 AM, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

I have one just like it.  And broken in the same place. Good luck with your search for a replacement.

Thanks.  I think I am going to need it.

I just bought this lovely 12k gold filled Sheaffer (777?).  It has a little crown on the cap that I’m not familiar with- what does it mean?

C106D456-09EA-40D9-AA17-40ACDD678BE4.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Got this pen today 14k nib 12k gold filled body. Got it for next to nothing on a pen parts lot (rest was like osmoroids and a sheaffer pencil) pen looked as if the plating was pealing and falling off with black dots everywhere. Nib also looked like a plated nib with faded plating. Probably why it went for a low price. However it all turned out to be dried ink even on the barrel. 

Obviously its not perfect. but much much better than what I expected :)

large.IMG_20230207_172821.jpg.1a7d98c9b7333f55d1a9663019cb4644.jpg
large.IMG_20230207_174231.jpg.f3612c2139391778b5088f055ead7ded.jpg

2 hours ago, shalitha33 said:

Got this pen today 14k nib 12k gold filled body. Got it for next to nothing on a pen parts lot (rest was like osmoroids and a sheaffer pencil) pen looked as if the plating was pealing and falling off with black dots everywhere. Nib also looked like a plated nib with faded plating. Probably why it went for a low price. However it all turned out to be dried ink even on the barrel. 

Obviously its not perfect. but much much better than what I expected :)

large.IMG_20230207_172821.jpg.1a7d98c9b7333f55d1a9663019cb4644.jpg
large.IMG_20230207_174231.jpg.f3612c2139391778b5088f055ead7ded.jpg

That looks like the 777 I bought recently.  I love it- I think mine has a medium nib. 

My new addition is a matte dark green Sheaffer Fashion II.