What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

32 minutes ago, Teterman2005 said:

You ain’t kidding!!  I thought the Imperials were much closer in size to the PFM, no wonder the PFMs are so special (along with the snorkel, groundbreaking design, historical importance, among other things!!)

Your PFM is exactly the model I’d want, black cap, perfect!

Maybe genuine 1960s Imperials are bigger than my 330 ("Quasi-Imperial") and 1990s models? 

When I next get around to PFM shopping, I will likely look for a v3, which is the same all-plastic design as my v1 but with gold trim and gold nib. It would be a nice partner to mine. In fact, I have been eyeing one on eBay as we speak. . .

ETA:  Dang it. I went ahead and bought it. Now I will have to sell some other pens to help offset the hefty price. LOL

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• JonSzanto

• Penguincollector

• NumberSix

18 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

ETA:  Dang it. I went ahead and bought it

I’ve said that before!!  

Sounds like your v1 will have a partner soon!  Watch out, you might end up with a set 😜. Post some picks when you get it!

This week was a jade Flat-Top in only modest body condition, but I simply cannot pass up a huge gold nib for < $30. I will compare parts to an identical model pen I have and see if anything can be upgraded, and the nib may end up in a bespoke pen. I really enjoy using them as writers, both in the original body or a modern host.

spacer.png

#6's post(s) reminded me of one of the very best finds ever (for me): late one night I saw a BIN listing come online and I hit the enter key so hard I thought I broke it. Shown below is a lot I purchased that, to this day, continues to be my greatest sumgai. When the pens arrived I actually sent the seller a bit more because they were in such great shape. PFM III set, a Snorkel Valiant, and a Waterman Lady Patricia in Persian celluloid.

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

@JonSzantoAmazing finds! I have yet to get a deal like that on anything. I usually pay too much, thanks to FOMO. 

Love love love the color on that Snorkel Valiant. . .

Speaking of Valiants, today I received this lovely green striated post-war Valiant. It is a vac-filler. Thanks to our own ThomasB (tbickii) for a good restoration.20210310_181450.thumb.jpg.9c1ccfc27415829575ef86609d40832a.jpg20210310_181632.thumb.jpg.49ffccdab59b0f3ad52f788c63e33db3.jpg

Hi all,

I picked up a Triumph Imperial set and a Sagaris set this past week. I got lazy and forgot to switch boxes, but the Imperial set has an older red box. 

They're all great performers.  👍

20210311_065357.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210311_065501.jpg?width=1920&height=10

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

3 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

Nice!!  I love the gold imperials.  Are they touchdown or cartridge fillers?

Hi Teterman,

Thank you. :)

Cartridge; it's one of the re-issues from the '90s.

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Very cool Sean!  I’m liking the later sheaffer reissues like these and the Balance II - something about “modern reliability” !!

I need to send a few pens off for repair, this one in particular... one of the first pens I bought after getting hooked last year

3FD4F172-1AD4-4393-B368-C7459B6D9B74.jpeg

1EAA28F2-EE85-4A66-96F6-6DF18EBB8706.jpeg

7B3B1CA2-ADA0-402E-B448-AC6928CC8D13.jpeg

31202ABA-F921-4F96-8B3C-4AC73D55A9BC.jpeg

72957087-39B6-4A51-86B2-0D259BF9E02F.jpeg

18 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

Very cool Sean!  I’m liking the later sheaffer reissues like these and the Balance II - something about “modern reliability” !!

Hi T,

+1 👍

18 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

I need to send a few pens off for repair, this one in particular... one of the first pens I bought after getting hooked last year

3FD4F172-1AD4-4393-B368-C7459B6D9B74.jpeg

1EAA28F2-EE85-4A66-96F6-6DF18EBB8706.jpeg

7B3B1CA2-ADA0-402E-B448-AC6928CC8D13.jpeg

31202ABA-F921-4F96-8B3C-4AC73D55A9BC.jpeg

72957087-39B6-4A51-86B2-0D259BF9E02F.jpeg

NICE TD filler. Do you know what model it is? That's a neat one with the advertising on it... makes it more unique. :) What company is that?

- Sean  

3 hours ago, corniche said:

NICE TD filler. Do you know what model it is? That's a neat one with the advertising on it... makes it more unique. :) What company is that?

- Sean  

Hey Sean, thanks!  It’s pretty unusual, haven’t seen one like it after months of poking around.  It was a 25 yr anniversary pen for a labor union, garment workers or something.  Certainly nails down the date of manufacture (1940)!  I looked up the history of the union, it fell apart a few years later, but interesting digging.

The pen is a balance vac-fil,  but it’s unusual in that it’s slightly shorter than a regular slender long, but longer than a demi.  Haven’t seen another in that size either, with or without imprint.  The nib is regular second tier sheaffer, but the clip is gold filled where most (all?) sheaffer juniors were chrome.

i can't wait to get it restored back to its former glory!

Brian

Sheaffer jade green oversize (to go with my jr size jade green ring top) with a lifetime nib and new sac already installed. I've been watching this one as a buy it now for awhile on an auction website and decided to get it after getting my 2nd stimulus check. 

20210314_082324.jpg

On 3/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, NumberSix said:

I hope you like the Loch Ness color as much as I did. Goes perfectly with Sailor Studio 442. :D

The color of the Loch Ness is starting to grow on me (although when I first got the pen I was going "huh -- looks a LOT like my Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue -- only a c/c pen and not a piston filler..." :().  But I still wish it was more of the blue-grey that it showed in the promo photos.  

I haven't tried a lot of the Sailor Studio inks yet, and tend to also not go "matchy matchy" with barrel and ink colors in general.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 3/13/2021 at 2:57 AM, Teterman2005 said:

Hey Sean, thanks!  It’s pretty unusual, haven’t seen one like it after months of poking around.  It was a 25 yr anniversary pen for a labor union, garment workers or something.  Certainly nails down the date of manufacture (1940)!  I looked up the history of the union, it fell apart a few years later, but interesting digging.

The pen is a balance vac-fil,  but it’s unusual in that it’s slightly shorter than a regular slender long, but longer than a demi.  Haven’t seen another in that size either, with or without imprint.  The nib is regular second tier sheaffer, but the clip is gold filled where most (all?) sheaffer juniors were chrome.

i can't wait to get it restored back to its former glory!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the background and the info on the pen model; I'm not that familiar with older, pre-war Sheaffers.

Hope you're able to restore it to where it had been. 👍

13 minutes ago, ThePenHolder said:

2 Flat tops, they'll need servicing

not sure if the jade green nib is the correct one ... 

IMG_3119.JPEG

Nice pens!  Looks like the nib on the green one is from a later lifetime ( not sure when they changed, I’ve seen that nib on oversized balances with a later clip, but still late 1930s).  My 1929ish jade balance has a monotone lifetime nib similar to your black one.

However, it “could” be the correct nib depending upon how late sheaffer made flat-tops after the intro of the balance line.... apparently there was some debate about this, but now seems clear they made flat tops deep into the 1930s and beyond (but I gather the assumption is only for lower tier pens....not sure about that).

Did they make a full size jade flattop late enough to incorporate the two-tone lifetime nib from the factory?  Inquiring minds want to know!  😜

13 minutes ago, Teterman2005 said:

Did they make a full size jade flattop late enough to incorporate the two-tone lifetime nib from the factory?  Inquiring minds want to know!  😜

Thank you Teterman2005

unfortunately all the PCA catalogues are B/W ... 

Some clues :  the jade green has got the white dot, and the clip is not the same style as on the black hard rubber flat-top, it's humped, as it was on the very first 1929 balance models (great article by richard binder on balance clips http://www.newpentrace.net/article080801106.html )

Any experts around ? 😉 

4 hours ago, ThePenHolder said:

Any experts around ? 😉 

The person that would know the answer to this would  certainly be Roger Wooten, who for many years was a mod of this forum, or at the very least a constant, regular poster. Few people are as savvy as he on Sheaffer models and history, along with others like Dan Kirchheimer. Hopefully one of the other local Sheaffer gurus can pin it down.

I only know my early Sheaffer stuff to get into a bit of confused trouble with minutia. One thing that does seem right is if you look at the nibs and sections of the Balances, towards the end of the run the section and nib change design, and match what you show in the green pen: a flared edge to the section and the two-tone nib. Earlier pens have the more straight/squared-off edge on the section and monotone gold nibs. This might possibly point to a late model flattop. One caveat that I have been warned of is that as models got near the end of their run, the factory would use up the parts to make pens, sometimes resulting in a combo that wasn't cataloged. But, again, there are known collectors who are deep in this, and hopefully will weigh in.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

late model flattop

very likely so, and even more with the theory of the re-use of parts that you mention, which Parker also did with their duofolds at the same period ... 

thanks for your post and for drawing the attention to the section !