What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

I have enjoyed the heck out of the Parker thread. And since I have a couple of nice Sheaffers scheduled to arrive as soon as Monday, I thought I would start this topic up.

So, what Sheaffers have you added to the fold of late? Modern, vintage, rare, easy-to-find. All are welcome in this general discussion thread.

Bring photos when you can! :)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• JonSzanto

• Penguincollector

• NumberSix

A 1936-7 Balance Premier, restored courtesy of Gerry Berg. Haven't had the urge to consider anything else since I first inked this up :)

fpn_1592191789__os-balance.jpg

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

A few weeks ago a couple of antiques shops south of me were having "Christmas in July" sales. And in the second one I found a low-end black Snorkel (I think the model is a Special). And everything in the place was 20% off if you paid cash -- so I got the pen for about $8.50 US. (In the other place I found a Maroon/Dusty Rose Parker Laidtone Duovac, which I paid a LOT more for....) Of course, I'll pay a lot more to get the Snorkel checked out and probably up and running. Did really need a THIRD black Snorkel? Probably not. But at that price? Sure.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A few weeks ago a couple of antiques shops south of me were having "Christmas in July" sales. And in the second one I found a low-end black Snorkel (I think the model is a Special). And everything in the place was 20% off if you paid cash -- so I got the pen for about $8.50 US. (In the other place I found a Maroon/Dusty Rose Parker Laidtone Duovac, which I paid a LOT more for....) Of course, I'll pay a lot more to get the Snorkel checked out and probably up and running. Did really need a THIRD black Snorkel? Probably not. But at that price? Sure.... :rolleyes:

And hence my comment in the Parker thread about your magic bargain-finding powers.

So what if you pay $50 to get it fixed up? That's approx $70 (counting shipping) for a working Snorkel. I just paid $150 to Peyton for a snorkel and pencil set - and was happy to do it.

I adore you. And hate you. ;)

Edited by NumberSix

And hence my comment in the Parker thread about your magic bargain-finding powers.

So what if you pay $50 to get it fixed up? That's approx $70 (counting shipping) for a working Snorkel. I just paid $150 to Peyton for a snorkel and pencil set - and was happy to do it.

Ruth gets around....LOL!!!!! :thumbup:

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Recently bought a Canadian manufactured Sheaffer Snorkel all Periwinkle Blue pen, from one of the posters here.

Still looking for an all Peacock Blue Snorkel Canadian made pen,if any one happens to have one they wish to part with.:).

:lol:

Mind you, it wasn't anything fancy. It was the bottom tier Snorkel (a Special) -- so, not a Triumph nib (or even a gold nib). And it was black, not one of the fancy exotic colors like Periwinkle or Fiesta Red. Somehow I don't think I'll ever get THAT lucky. And it does sort of make up for the desk pen I bought a couple of years ago that turned out to be frankenpen stuck in some random ugly base with a duck on it. I gave the pen (part Snorkel, part Touchdown) to Ron Zorn for parts. I couldn't even give the base away, so I stuck it in a silent auction a year ago January, and then made sure I wasn't the last person to pay for the stuff I'd won -- I was too afraid of getting it back! :o That was something I was really GLAD I didn't pay a lot for.... :huh:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A 1936-7 Balance Premier, restored courtesy of Gerry Berg. Haven't had the urge to consider anything else since I first inked this up :)

fpn_1592191789__os-balance.jpg

What a pen!

(Kinda jealous... :P )

How durable are Sheaffer Balances? Can the pen be safely clipped onto a shirt/ jacket pocket without any fear of stress hairlines/cracks on the cap?

What a pen!

(Kinda jealous... :P )

How durable are Sheaffer Balances? Can the pen be safely clipped onto a shirt/ jacket pocket without any fear of stress hairlines/cracks on the cap?

I occassionally clip this into my suit breast pocket: it feels very robust. I'd probably be more cautious with one of the celluloid models, though...

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

One of the latest sheaffers for me is a vintage non-white dot sheaffer lady? I also have the white dot version of the same pen form some time back. White dot version seem to have what looks to be rubbed out turn hand imprint. This one doesn't,

fpn_1596354170__img_20200802_193850.jpg

I occassionally clip this into my suit breast pocket: it feels very robust. I'd probably be more cautious with one of the celluloid models, though...

Makes sense. I have heard that the black Balances tend to crack less often than the colored ones.

From an estate sale for eighty cents, an old green Snorkel set. Needs restoration, but in nice shape and Snorkel mechanism works. I'll see if I can avoid ruining it.

fpn_1596896786__image.jpeg

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

From an estate sale for eighty cents, an old green Snorkel set. Needs restoration, but in nice shape and Snorkel mechanism works. I'll see if I can avoid ruining it.

eighty cents!!! good finding.

+1 to what jchch 1950 said. I'd say that makes you "Sumgai of the Week" -- especially having just read the thread about you winning the red Estie set on the Bay of Evil.

As Zig Ziglar used to say, "you win some, you loose some, and some get rained out".

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

eighty cents!!! good finding.

+1 to what jchch 1950 said. I'd say that makes you "Sumgai of the Week" -- especially having just read the thread about you winning the red Estie set on the Bay of Evil.

As Zig Ziglar used to say, "you win some, you loose some, and some get rained out".

Thanks. I now believe in estate sale finds

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I received the two vintage Sheaffers I ordered, a Snorkel and a Targa (I guess the Targa isn't "vintage"). They wrote beautifully -- both mediums.

However, I did not like how fragile the nibs felt, especially on the Targa. In both pens, I kept feeling like I was going to bend them or even break them. And I am not a hard writer.

So I hated to do it, but I decided to send them back. They were too expensive to instantly become pens I never use. :(

I guess I have been spoiled by those bulletproof Parker hooded nibs.