Lamy 27M

Namo

Hi fellows FPNers.

I have a few questions about the Lamy 27m, old model with a blind cap to get access to the piston filler mechanism.

1- The pen is obviously quite old and the piston seems to be about to die. I guess it uses the same piston as the 2K. Is that correct?

2- I am not sure I can disassemble the piston mechanism the way I can with a 2K or more recent 99/27 models and I am afraid to break the pen. Can anyone tell me how I can do this?

3- In the past, I've been able to find piston parts so I could repair old 2Ks. I can't find anyplace that seems to sell them anymore. Does anyone know where I could find these parts?

4- Finally, does anyone know if there is anyone who makes repair job in Eastern Canada (Sean Gosse used to do this years ago, but he stopped doing it at least 7 or 8 years ago).

I've been looking through the net and FPN and couldn't find any helpfull answers (most of them were older or not specific to that model of Lamy).

I love this pen, so I would be very gratefull for any help.

Many thanks for reading.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Namo

• christof

• lawrenceg

• whych

Try immersing the whole pen in water and getting water into both sides of the piston (the nib side as well as the blind cap side.) Work the piston while the pen is immersed in water, but don't force the piston.

You should find that once it has some water in the pen, the dried ink on both sides of the piston should dissolve and the piston should start to move more freely.

Work the piston, while the pen is submersed in water, changing the old water every now and then till the water is clear and no more ink appears from either side of the pen.

Unless the seal is shot, you shouldn't need to dismantle the pen.

Hi fellows FPNers.

I have a few questions about the Lamy 27m, old model with a blind cap to get access to the piston filler mechanism.

1- The pen is obviously quite old and the piston seems to be about to die. I guess it uses the same piston as the 2K. Is that correct?

2- I am not sure I can disassemble the piston mechanism the way I can with a 2K or more recent 99/27 models and I am afraid to break the pen. Can anyone tell me how I can do this?

3- In the past, I've been able to find piston parts so I could repair old 2Ks. I can't find anyplace that seems to sell them anymore. Does anyone know where I could find these parts?

4- Finally, does anyone know if there is anyone who makes repair job in Eastern Canada (Sean Gosse used to do this years ago, but he stopped doing it at least 7 or 8 years ago).

I've been looking through the net and FPN and couldn't find any helpfull answers (most of them were older or not specific to that model of Lamy).

I love this pen, so I would be very gratefull for any help.

Many thanks for reading.

To disassemble a 27 m you need a special tool:

32919779263_de78ac94d3_h.jpg

this pen hasn't a lot in common with a 2K.

Try immersing the whole pen in water and getting water into both sides of the piston (the nib side as well as the blind cap side.) Work the piston while the pen is immersed in water, but don't force the piston.

You should find that once it has some water in the pen, the dried ink on both sides of the piston should dissolve and the piston should start to move more freely.

Work the piston, while the pen is submersed in water, changing the old water every now and then till the water is clear and no more ink appears from either side of the pen.

Unless the seal is shot, you shouldn't need to dismantle the pen.

Thank you for the answer. I've owed the open for 5 or 6 years now and I think that the piston's threads are wearing off - such thinb happened with a 1967 Lamy 2K and with a friend's 2K from the 80s.

amonjak.com

To disassemble a 27 m you need a special tool:

32919779263_de78ac94d3_h.jpg

this pen hasn't a lot in common with a 2K.

Danke sehr for the information, that is consistent with what I feared. I already did use a Lamy 2K piston's threads in a Lamy 99, so I hope it would be ok with a 27m, since the cork seems ok. The threads have a hard time engaging, but when they do, the pen is sucking ink very well. I guess that the threads are wearing off.

As for the tool: do you have any idea if I can find one somewhere? did you do it yourself?

amonjak.com

As for the tool: do you have any idea if I can find one somewhere? did you do it yourself?

You're welcome. The tool is easy to manufacture. Here you'll find the measurements:

33435882510_9fa16a0817_b.jpgLamy 27 piston removal tool von -c_m_z-

c.

You have been discussing the "tool" with the two nibs.

I have been using a pair of tweezers with a flat end like the nibs on the end of the tool.

You might have a set at home.

You have been discussing the "tool" with the two nibs.

I have been using a pair of tweezers with a flat end like the nibs on the end of the tool.

You might have a set at home.

Thanks for the tip - actually, I was looking for other options since I am really not sure I'll be able to have the tool made (and even less to make it myself).

As for the pieces, I think I found what I need (i.e. L2K pieces; I'll be able to replace the blind cap of an old 2K) to Regina Martini (the price with shipping and taxes is almost the price of a full pen, though).

amonjak.com

Las news, since I think it can be of general interest.

I received my pieces today, still lacking the right tool for the job of unscrewing the ring that keeps the piston in position. I tried with a very pointy and small pocket knife, just as a test, and as I was examining the ring with attention, I noticed it was kind of loose. I was able to unscrew it without any difficulty and take the piston out of the barrel. To my surprise, the threads of the piston were good as new. So I guess the piston had diffuculties to engage because the ring came loose... I don't think the knife is a long term solution since I cannot tighten the ring, but at least it is a solution that will allow me to use the pen and to take time to get such a tool done.

I've spent some money to get replacement pieces that turned out to be unuseful, but I learned something in the process about my pen.

As I thought, the piston's threads are compatible with 2K's threads.

Thank you for anyone who helped me here, your generosity never fail to amaze me.

Cheers!

amonjak.com