Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne

YonathanZ

Hi,

Here's my very concise review of the 3776 in Burgundy, with a Medium nib.

This pen is my daily driver. Here's what I like and don't like about it:
Like:
1. Overall design - the color of the body, the shape and size of the nib, the cap band.
2. The nib - it's unique because it flows well and is plenty smooth and can be used to write fast, yet at the same time it slightly grips the page and allows you to control your writing really well. I love it.
3. Weight - this is a light pen and therefore doesn't cause fatigue during long writing sessions. It's also easy to carry on your person.
4. The cap threads are smooth and work very well - the pen is a joy to cap and uncap and there's a satisfying feeling when capping it as you feel the "Slip & Seal" mechanism engage.
Don't like (very nit picky as this is a great pen overall):
1. The pen is a bit short. An extra cm or more would've made it more comfortable for larger hands.
2. I'm not a fan of the step down from the barrel to the section - a more seamless design would be more pleasant to hold.
3. The trim color is too bright of a yellow tone, and it looks a bit tacky. I believe that's because of the 24K plating. The nib is 14K and not plated and therefore has a darker tone that I much prefer.
The trim looks nicer in darker environments, where it more closely matches the color of the nib, and makes the pen look more classy.
4. The converter rattles a bit against the barrel. It also feels cheap and holds a below-average amount of ink. I think that if a company bothers its customers with using its proprietary converter, that converter better have greater capacity than standard international ones or some other advantage. The Platinum converter is worse both in capacity and overall feeling.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wangjianwei

• Gloucesterman

• MBDostoevsky

• Olya

Hi,

Here's my very concise review of the 3776 in Burgundy, with a Medium nib.

This pen is my daily driver. Here's what I like and don't like about it:
Like:
1. Overall design - the color of the body, the shape and size of the nib, the cap band.
2. The nib - it's unique because it flows well and is plenty smooth and can be used to write fast, yet at the same time it slightly grips the page and allows you to control your writing really well. I love it.
3. Weight - this is a light pen and therefore doesn't cause fatigue during long writing sessions. It's also easy to carry on your person.
4. The cap threads are smooth and work very well - the pen is a joy to cap and uncap and there's a satisfying feeling when capping it as you feel the "Slip & Seal" mechanism engage.
Don't like (very nit picky as this is a great pen overall):
1. The pen is a bit short. An extra cm or more would've made it more comfortable for larger hands.
2. I'm not a fan of the step down from the barrel to the section - a more seamless design would be more pleasant to hold.
3. The trim color is too bright of a yellow tone, and it looks a bit tacky. I believe that's because of the 24K plating. The nib is 14K and not plated and therefore has a darker tone that I much prefer.
The trim looks nicer in darker environments, where it more closely matches the color of the nib, and makes the pen look more classy.
4. The converter rattles a bit against the barrel. It also feels cheap and holds a below-average amount of ink. I think that if a company bothers its customers with using its proprietary converter, that converter better have greater capacity than standard international ones or some other advantage. The Platinum converter is worse both in capacity and overall feeling.

Depending on from whom you purchase the pen, have you contacted them for a replacement unit?

That would seem a logical next step.

Thank you for the review. Oh and is the color "burgundy" or what is referred to as "Bourgogne?

What did the pen cost? Just curious as I am think of getting one with an SF nib.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Depending on from whom you purchase the pen, have you contacted them for a replacement unit?

That would seem a logical next step.

Thank you for the review. Oh and is the color "burgundy" or what is referred to as "Bourgogne?

What did the pen cost? Just curious as I am think of getting one with an SF nib.

Yes, "Bourgogne" is French, "Burgundy" is English.

Platinum seems to be a Francophile company and they use quite a bit of French when they name their products, eg "Nice Lavande", "Nice Lilas" etc.

"Bourgogne" refers to the model of the Platinum 3776 Century series. And yes as you said, its semi transparent burgundy akin of a glass wine.

There are other in the 3776 Century series, I owned the blue one called the Chartres Blue.
Great pen, no complaint about them.

For me I usually uses Platinum's cartridges which I refill using syringe. Bigger ink capacity. Though I don't really need them because I always ink too many pens at the same time

• 1 month later...

I have two versions of this pen, one HM which has a pencil like feedback, and another SF with elastic cutouts that still has the feedback though it flexes. Be sure to try the soft versions of the nib, if that's your thing!

I just keep collecting them. I have blue, red, black models with UEF, EF, SF, B, C (double broad) and Music.

I can't really put my finger on why I love 'em so much. Just do.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Noting that you wrote the post in July 2020, I'm pretty sure a (not limited-edition!) variant of the Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne with silver-coloured (but I'm not sure if it's rhodium-plated) trim and rhodium-plated 14K gold nib was available for retail purchase by then.

4. The converter rattles a bit against the barrel.

That looseness seems to have been introduced since the old (and cheaper) PNB-10000 series of Platinum #3776 Century models — including the Bourgogne with gold trim — was replaced by the PNB-13000 series. I have to Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne pens, one being PNB-10000#71 and the other a more recent PNB-13000#71, and the looseness is only evident with the newer pen.

I think that if a company bothers its customers with using its proprietary converter, that converter better have greater capacity than standard international ones or some other advantage. The Platinum converter is worse both in capacity and overall feeling.

I'm afraid you stand to be disappointed with that expectation. Not that there is any standard capacity specified for "international standard" converters, but the proprietary converters from Pilot, Platinum and Sailor designed to fit most of the pens of the respective brands (i.e. disregard the Pilot CON-70 converter which doesn't fit inside a Pilot MR, Elite 95S, Capless Vanishing Point, Falcon with resin barrel, etc.) all hold cartridge (and most "international standard" converters) would hold. Large ink capacity just isn't a priority with Japanese pens, even in the Sailor Realo piston-fillers. (I'm not sure how much ink a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 holds.)

I have two versions of this pen, one HM which has a pencil like feedback, and another SF with elastic cutouts that still has the feedback though it flexes.

I had three Platinum #3776 Century pens (and still have two of them between my wife and me) with SF nibs, and I don't recall seeing any elastic cutouts on their nibs.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have three of these as well - two blacks and a Bourgogne - UEF, SF and B.

I enjoy them all, but have to say the B is amazing - and I don't usually like anything broader than a Japanese fine! It's the smoothest, wettest pen I have with a really nice EF with the nib reversed which makes it great for drawing,

I'll add another with a real EF to my lineup some day.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I have three of these as well - two blacks and a Bourgogne - UEF, SF and B.

I enjoy them all, but have to say the B is amazing - and I don't usually like anything broader than a Japanese fine! It's the smoothest, wettest pen I have with a really nice EF with the nib reversed which makes it great for drawing,

I'll add another with a real EF to my lineup some day.

I also tend to use pens with finer nibs but bought a Platinum 3776 medium, just to try. And I found it to be, like your broad, surprisingly smooth and wet--too smooth and wet for my everyday use, but interesting to have as an option.

• 2 weeks later...