Parker Superchrome Jade Green

IThinkIHaveAProblem

In keeping with my theme of doing things because I was told I can't...

Parker Superchrome Jade Green!
Yes, the slightly LESS deadly ink invented to replace Parker "51" ink!
If you are not familiar with Parker "51" ink and the story behind it, please feel free to see my reviews
So, now that everyone knows why "51" ink had to go the way of the dinosaurs, let's take a look at its replacement!
Launched around the same time as the new Aero-Metric (1948ish) version of the Parker "51" pen, the advertising for Superchrome was VERY bright and vibrant
It even went as far as to explain how this magical ink would soak into the paper and dry nearly instantly, instead of by evaporation!
NEAT!
fpn_1595481853__vbwxfyh.jpg
Ok, so what happened then? Why is this called the "slightly less deadly" ink? and why can't i find it in stores!?
Because it was discontinued in 1956
ok, but WHY!?
Well, Parker started getting warrantee claims on their new Aero-metric "51"s... a lot of them... seems the alkalinity of Superchrome was actually eating up breather tubes!
And they were made of STERLING SILVER... eventually, replacing them starts to get expensive ya know!
you can read more about "51" and Superchrome here:http://www.richardspens.com/ref/care/51_ink.htm
My Bottle is a slightly later bottle, the first ones came in a cool metal tin!
According to the Parker "51" book, my box was designed around 1949
And was awarded an honourable mention by the Folding Box Association of America!
Wow... really!? the FBAoA!? no way!
Yes way! it says so on page 145 of the Parker "51" book!
here is my box and bottle pictured with my green Parker "51" Special Demi
fpn_1595481891__p7212783.jpg
There was some sedimentation in the bottle, much like the Tunis Blue bottle, but much less of it, and not stuck to the bottom of the bottle.
As with the Pan American Green, don't worry, I shook the bottle excessively in order to try and get those precious dyes back into suspension (not solution)!
ok, but what does it look like on paper you ask?
well I'm glad you asked, cause that's the whole point of this shindig!
(Typed Text follows for search-ability, and because my handwriting is atrocious!)
fpn_1595481901__img_8938.jpg
Rhodia Webnotebook, paper is slightly off white in real life
fpn_1595481910__img_8942.jpg
15 Jul 20
Parker Superchrome Jade
Green. Bought 3oz bottle
on eBay Jun-ish 2020. This
is the second deadliest ink
in history. Only the ink
it replaced (Parker "51") is
worse! Meant to "dry" nearly
instantly it was designed
to soak into the paper. Too
bad it also ate sterling
silver breather tubes...
More teal than Green, bu
that may be due to the
age of the bottle. Some dryout
when left over night in a pen
(Dry times in a Wing Sung 601 and a TWSBI Eco 1.1)
Would buy Again?
N/A
Parker Superchrome
Jade Green
Eco 1.1mm
Wing Sung 601
Shading: Good/Very Good
Saturation: Good
Feathering: Nil
Spread: Nil
Bleed: Nil
Cleaning: Easy/Medium
(Water tests, dripped and dabbed vs rubbed with a wet Q-tip)
Notes: Colour is very close to Diamine Marine. Flows
OK. Pan American Green
is much greener.
*Leaves a white crust/residue! (On the feed and nib, Seen well after cleaning and drying the Eco. So that white residue on "51" Feeds? yeah... probably from this ink!)
Clairefontaine Notebook paper, paper is VERY white
fpn_1595481922__img_8939.jpg
Parker Superchrome
Jade Green
Twsbi Eco 1.1 mm stub
The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog.
Clairefontaine Paper
Dry Times 30 25 20 15 10 5 1
Wing Sung 601
Drytimes: 30 25 20 15 10 5 1
The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog
fpn_1595481933__img_8940.jpg
Parker Superchrome
Jade Green
Diamine Marine
Jade Green Marine
So that's it. That's Parker Superchrome Jade Green.
It's a lot like Diamine Marine, except you know, super expensive, hard to find, and will kill your pen!
While also leaving a weird white residue on your nib and feed... yay!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• yazeh

• LizEF

• XYZZY

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Great presentation (as usual) and instructive.

Can we see one day the blue-black of the series?

Hi!

Thanks, glad you liked it!

You're in luck, I have a bottle of BB Superchrome purchased. But it will be at least a month, probably more before it gets here :(

Great review... I'm glad you're having fun with your vintage inks....Funny how the green has turned into blue.....:)

Great review... I'm glad you're having fun with your vintage inks....Funny how the green has turned into blue.....:)

Thanks!

The 51 and Superchrome inks is because i have this weird NEED to know what they liked like. I dont know how green this ever was. Its VERY saturated, even now! As soon as i saw it i also thought it was bluish, but my wife thinks that jade green is an appropriate name for this colour. But frankly sometimes i doubt her colour sense! :P

Edit: i noticed that the patent listed above has the formulas and one of them has as a base ingredient listed as: (ink greenish blue). So maybe this IS the original colour!

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem

Fun! I suddenly want to design a folding box! :lticaptd:

Do it! Maybe you’ll win an award and get even more famous! :D

I enjoyed reading through the magazine ad, so thanks for that and the other background information.

Any idea if the metal container was just a marketing gimick? Or was it prompted by something in the unusual chemistry of the ink?

I enjoyed reading through the magazine ad, so thanks for that and the other background information.

Any idea if the metal container was just a marketing gimick? Or was it prompted by something in the unusual chemistry of the ink?

Glad you liked it

AFAIK the metal tin was just because it was cool. The ink was still in a glass bottle, and the bottle was inside the metal tin.