Deciding On Whether To Get A Medium Nib Or Fine Nib On A Waterman Hemisphere?

bananaluck

Hi! So I have some gradual experience with fountain pens from the last time I wrote on this website. My favorite fountain pens that I have found to be a very smooth writing experience for me are the Pilot pens. I especially love the Prera and I hope that Pilot makes more of the solid-color body ones cause they are my favorite. Anyway, those pens are the ones that really work with me. I tend to use a medium nib on the Pilot fountain pens. Now I know a Japanese medium=western fine. However, I find that Western fine can be too scratchy and that Western mediums can be too broad. I want to find a fountain pen that has the same line consistency as the Pilot mediums found in the Preras, Cavaliers, and the Metropolitans that I use. Even my one Kaweco Sport that is medium is an ideal line for me.

So I've been looking at Watermans because I just got a rollerball from them and absolutely loved it, but I wanted to try out their fountain pens since I heard that they are of good quality. However, I'm driving myself mad about the nib and which one I should get. Maybe I'm just overthinking things, but I don't want to get a medium with it being broad and me smearing it because I drag my pen across the paper. However, on the other hand, I don't want to get a fine in case it's too scratchy and the line isn't what I want.

Please help me!!! I want to be part of the Waterman gang :)

Also, was wondering if the Waterman, specifically the Havana Brown is fast drying or if Waterman inks are fast-drying inks in general. The Pilot inks are wonderful for me, for it never smears even if I brush my hand over it. However, Kawecos aren't really fast-drying inks which I am very surprised about. I thought they were, so I'm wondering if Waterman is fast-drying. I hope it is in my favor!

thanks again for the help! looking forward to your responses!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bananaluck

• Left FPN

• TSherbs

• Gutbucketeer

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterman inks are not very fast drying but then again the more you put down the longer it takes. You might find the fine dries quicker.

Watermans offer a 'free' nib (section) exchange. Buy the fine and if you find it is not too your liking send it to them for a change out to medium. I say 'free' because you have to suffer the cost of insured shipping to them. They cover the return cost to you.

I would definitely go with the Fine. Waterman Mediums are pretty broad.

Thank you, I think I will go with the Fine!

I have a black stainless Lamy nib with "f" on the nib. That said, it performs as a medium when compared to the 51's and Sheaffer.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Agreed the Waterman nibs can be a bit wide.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Go for Fine nib.

As for ink my experience with waterman serenity blue has been good. The dry time on this one is fast enough, but then I do use absorbent papers. From what I know the brown is also same type so should be fast as well. I would also say that when with Fine nibs on the issue of dry time becomes much less of issue and should not really affect writing.