Schmidt Interchangeability?

WLSpec

I'm considering purchasing a custom pen that uses the Schmidt KFH 450 piston system, because it is the only other filling mechanism offered by this custom maker other than c/c and eyedropper. However, when I've used Schmidt nibs in the past, they haven't been my favorite, as I like a softer nib and the schmidt nibs (that I've tried) are nails. So, before I go with c/c, I'd like to ask if there is any interchangeability with Schmidt nibs (in the Schmidt piston system, KFH 450) and other non-schmidt nibs. Thank you!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• hari317

• WLSpec

• Biber

Last I knew Schmidt nib units were proprietary and NOT interchangeable with other more widely available nib units. I found this very problematic as they came in only F M and B. If you want anything else it would have to be a custom grind.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Last I knew Schmidt nib units were proprietary and NOT interchangeable with other more widely available nib units. I found this very problematic as they came in only F M and B. If you want anything else it would have to be a custom grind.

Thank you. I sort of expected this answer, but I was hopeful :) . I'm sure there's someone who can add some flex to a Schmidt nib, so I will either try for that or just go with c/c

A section designed for Schmidt will accept only Schmidt. The thread specs and housing contours are not common with any other manufacturer's nib units. However the KFH450 is quite versatile and with a bit of cleverness your custom pen maker should be able to accommodate any nib unit you wish. Here is my example of a KFH450 mated to a m1000 nib unit.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/345784-fosfor-cumberland-piston-filler-fully-modular/?p=4253069

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

A section designed for Schmidt will accept only Schmidt. The thread specs and housing contours are not common with any other manufacturer's nib units. However the KFH450 is quite versatile and with a bit of cleverness your custom pen maker should be able to accommodate any nib unit you wish. Here is my example of a KFH450 mated to a m1000 nib unit.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/345784-fosfor-cumberland-piston-filler-fully-modular/?p=4253069

This opens up a whole new array of ideas! Thank you. In fact, that's my favorite nib :)

aren't Schmidt nibs size 6 like Jowo and Bock?

isn't it possible to pull out just nib and feed from the collar, swap nib and use the same feed with the new nib?

(just asking, not much experience on Schmidt nibs, and none at all on the KFH 450 piston system)

isn't it possible to pull out just nib and feed from the collar, swap nib and use the same feed with the new nib?

(just asking, not much experience on Schmidt nibs, and none at all on the KFH 450 piston system)

Thanks to sansenri for the question. Wondering as well.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Do you mean swapping with other Schmidt nibs, or swapping with other brands' #6 nibs?

Nope the Schmidt nib itself has a very unique design that's much different in contour and length to either JOWO or Bock. I tried and it did not fit. I am not one for forcing and others might have had more success?

As far as swapping of nibs go, even JoWo and bock dont swap easily into each other's housing. Schmidt nibs are shorter at 32.5mm and have a notched tail with a matching feature on the feeder.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nope the Schmidt nib itself has a very unique design that's much different in contour and length to either JOWO or Bock. I tried and it did not fit. I am not one for forcing and others might have had more success?

It's been done. The difficult part as I understand it is that the metal collar on the nib unit is swaged (basically crimped) on to the unit housing, making it almost impossible to free the feed and nib. But another #6 nib should fit in the original nib's place if the unit can be pulled apart. Length and fit with the feed shouldn't be a problem as long as it's the same size (#6 refers to the diameter of the feed the nib is designed for,). Such nibs have been pretty standardized for quite some time.That's why you can get replacement nibs without feeds and housings.

Good luck. If you are at all handy it should be a fun (if frustrating) project to do, though I would advise getting a new unit and have it modified by someone who does the sort of thing you're looking for. It'll be money up front but the gratification will be well worth avoiding the frustration and likelihood of failure. Either way, please report back and let everybody know how you made out with it.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Its quite straightforward to disassemble the Schmidt nib unit. ETA: pic.

fpn_1595521028__3eb62eb0-30c5-44a7-bb49-

Edited by hari317

thanks, that's probably the answer, I don't like to force nibs either

Do you mean swapping with other Schmidt nibs, or swapping with other brands' #6 nibs?

no, I intended swapping with a non-Schmidt, as the OP was lamenting he dislikes Schmidt nibs...

Its quite straightforward to disassemble the Schmidt nib unit. ETA: pic.

fpn_1595521028__3eb62eb0-30c5-44a7-bb49-

Thank you Hari, that is what I was suggesting, however if the nib shoulders are different a non-Schmidt nib might not fit properly in the collar, and may even crack it. I was wondering about that possibility.

Edited by sansenri

I should qualify that I do have a LOT of nibs lying around and am quite handy in assembling frankenpens with ready made parts. But I don't cut things apart and glue things back. Especially for collars and feeds, that's a level of complication I am not ready to get into yet.

Pulling the nib out is not a problem as the metal ring does not crimp the collar. However the base of the Schmidt nib is a lot shorter than either a JOWO or Bock so if you inserted a JOWO nib, it stands out way too far forward, and you might risk crushing the nib when capping the pen. Also because it's not seated properly the seal is not great and the ink would start dripping.

Also I tried. The threads of the collar is uniquely positioned and designed so that nothing else can screw into a pen body designed for a Schmidt nib. That is if Flexnibfactory has not had something designed yet.

So at least for me, it's a no go and back the Schmidt nib goes.

I should qualify that I do have a LOT of nibs lying around and am quite handy in assembling frankenpens with ready made parts. But I don't cut things apart and glue things back. Especially for collars and feeds, that's a level of complication I am not ready to get into yet.

Pulling the nib out is not a problem as the metal ring does not crimp the collar. However the base of the Schmidt nib is a lot shorter than either a JOWO or Bock so if you inserted a JOWO nib, it stands out way too far forward, and you might risk crushing the nib when capping the pen. Also because it's not seated properly the seal is not great and the ink would start dripping.

Also I tried. The threads of the collar is uniquely positioned and designed so that nothing else can screw into a pen body designed for a Schmidt nib. That is if Flexnibfactory has not had something designed yet.

So at least for me, it's a no go and back the Schmidt nib goes.

ah, so an Omas nib might fit (3.2 mm) :)

but seriously, in his project with Fosfor, Hari is clearly showing that the Schmidt piston system can be tweaked to fit several other nibs (such as a M800 or M1000 Pelikan...), evidently that should be done by expert hands and it's not just a matter of pulling the nib and fitting another...

since it's a custom pen that has not been made yet though, WLSpec may still be in time to enquire whether a modification is feasible

In short it's a myth that there is a standard defining the no 6 nib. The Top three Bock JoWo Schmidt have their own interpretation and their nibs dont interchange. Now one may be able to shoehorn a replacement into a housing.

> aren't Schmidt nibs size 6 like Jowo and Bock?

Schmidt nibs are apparently made by Jowo and Bock - as so many other proprietary nibs too. I have no idea if the geometry is different or not.