Help With Mabie Todd And Waterman

bbbdco

I stopped at a local store today and found a couple used pens for sale. I was told that the owner of the store (who was not present) had serviced all of the pens that are for sale and that they all work. Since I am so new to this, I didn't even know what to look for or ask. They did let me dip the nibs in some ink and write a couple words with it. The Mabie Todd has a flexible stub nib. I couldn't read the information on the nib without a loop. But can anyone tell me anything about this pen? They had a price tag on it for $100. And the engraving said Patent Jan19 1915. They let me take this photo of it. And of course, I can go back with my loop to get a better look. It seemed to write okay and had a fairly flexible nib.

The other was a Waterman 52V? Again, I could not read the engraving on the pen or nib without a loop, but I did take a photo? The Waterman nib was quite fine and very flexible. They were asking $100 for this pen also.

I plan on going back. How are these prices if the pens are in good working condition, and the nibs in good shape? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

MabieToddFP.jpg

Waterman 52V.jpg

Edited by bbbdco

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbbdco

• sidthecat

• taimdala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're so beautiful! Wow!

I would certainly consider buying either of these pens for that price, but I am also inexperienced in vintage pens of this type.

I too am interested what the more veteran members of this forum have to say about these two pens. I know it will be worth reading/paying attention to. We have a lot of experienced and helpful members here at FPN.

Does anyone have a spare moment to give us some of your wisdom? :D

Those are good prices for restored pens of those brands with flexible nibs (flexible stubs are quite desirable, in fact).

If you dont want that ringtop, perhaps you can furnish me with the phone number of that shop.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files