Victoria Brand Pens From Italy?

Paul-in-SF

I have recently purchased a pen called Victoria that was advertised (by a reputable seller) as made in Italy. I can find no mention of that brand in this forum, so I wonder if anyone here has heard of this brand and knows anything about it? (edited to add: it does not appear on the big list of Italian pen makers either; there is one in UK pens.) I have not received the pen yet, and since it is coming from Europe I don't expect to see it until September -- a well-needed exercise in patience.

I confess that I bought this entirely for the interesting and unusual material, presumably celluloid. At least it is interesting to me, and unusual in my limited experience. It is green and black striated, but the striations are spiral instead of vertical or horizontal. However, the nib also looks promising as a semi-flexible medium. So any interesting story or background about this brand would add depth to my otherwise and so-far superficial appreciation.

Edited by Paul-in-SF

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul-in-SF

• como

• fabri00

• richyrich

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Letizia Iacopini’s book The History of The Italian Fountain Pen, Vol.2 on page 210 there is a short paragraph about this Italian pen maker.

https://www.tenpen.it/sites/default/files/2019-12/VOLUME%202.pdf

Thank you for the link, that promises hours of fascinating reading. There sure were a lot of Italian pen manufacturers compared to some other countries, I wonder why.

Any pictures you can share?

If this is directed at my original post, then no, sorry, I don't have the pen yet. I will post some once it has arrived. Don't hold your breath, since it is coming from Europe.

You are welcome. I wish I had a paper copy of this book. It’s out of print and cannot be bought any more. The author graciously made it available for download on her website, a great reference. Indeed fascinating that there were so many Italian pen makers for a country with relatively small domestic market. The Italians don’t hold back much when it comes to expressing their interpretation of beauty. It’s evident, with all these beautiful celluloids and rolled gold overlays, fountain pens are no exceptions :-))))

Thank you for the link, that promises hours of fascinating reading. There sure were a lot of Italian pen manufacturers compared to some other countries, I wonder why.

You are welcome. I wish I had a paper copy of this book. It’s out of print and cannot be bought any more. The author graciously made it available for download on her website, a great reference. Indeed fascinating that there were so many Italian pen makers for a country with relatively small domestic market. The Italians don’t hold back much when it comes to expressing their interpretation of beauty. It’s evident, with all these beautiful celluloids and rolled gold overlays, fountain pens are no exceptions :-))))

I'm thinking that either this resource should be pinned on the Italy forum, or at least it should be used to add to the list of known pens from Italy. Victoria is not on that list, I'll bet there are others.

It is the same today: Aurora, Visconti, Stipula, Pineider, Santini, Scribo, Leonardo, and looking at few years back Omas and Delta.

Plus many other minor producers.

• 4 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, richyrich said:

Any pictures you can share?

At long last, here are a few photos. It is, as you can see, a button-filler. The nib that I had bought with it had to be replaced by the seller because it was cracked; the new nib (pictured here) is a Waterman's medium with some flex. The clip has the faintest traces of some writing, but it is, alas, so worn away by polishing as to be unreadable even under 30x magnification. 

Clip.jpg

Nib end.jpg

Pen apart.jpg

Pen closed.jpg

Paul-in-SF: Very nice indeed, a Parker Duofold streamlined style Italian pen in stacked celluloid cut diagonally, from the 1930s. Congratulations and enjoy!