Arco Plastic Resin...

fpupulin

Cellulose acetate und celluloid nitrate (celluloid) are different materials but share some basic chemical properties.

Arco (like it was used by Omas until the 2000s) is cellulose nitrate (celluloid). The same is true for all current pens using Arco stock. I have not seen a material similar to Arco made from cellulose acetate.

Cellulose acetate is used e.g. for the marbled or striated materials of Pelikan, Aurora, Sheaffer Crest Opalite and a few more.

Cheers

Michael

:thumbup:

This is my understanding as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• como

• Seney724

• dms525

Awww... c'mon. I left 99 MZG's in Primary Manipulation for you!

I saw the Cuspide announcement from Emy (Pen Venture) in an email. The prices are on penventure dot com. I just checked and Novelli is listing the Cuspide pens also. The prices are the same as what is asked for celluloid versions of the MZ Grande with 14Kt nib.

David

David

For this amount of money I hope these pens have a "real," high quality piston filling mechanism and not a piece of junk captive converter which some of the other "high end" manufacturers have seen fit to employ in their expensive pens.

From the above photos, these Cuspides are rather attractive, though the price is a bit steep. Are the threads metal? Good the section is not.

Awww... c'mon. I left 99 MZG's in Primary Manipulation for you!

I saw the Cuspide announcement from Emy (Pen Venture) in an email. The prices are on penventure dot com. I just checked and Novelli is listing the Cuspide pens also. The prices are the same as what is asked for celluloid versions of the MZ Grande with 14Kt nib.

David

David

Just funnin' with you David. My "problem" is that I'm used to getting Japanese pens and there are several FPN members who religiously mention new models in the marketplace or regional forums (or both). Religiously checking FPN is something I do already, but my existing routines don't keep me alerted to what's coming up for Leonardos.

Thanks for the pointers to penventure. I think I stopped following him a while back, not sure why, other than perhaps to much other stuff to do. And Novelli...I've read that name enough times here that I should have thought of them.

probably me neither, for that sum I have a few other plans...

I like the new straight section though...

I hope that shows up in new more resonantly priced models

Dear francoiacc:

Based on the grand answer pool of 3 (Michael R. with strong conviction, and myself and Seney724 with less than 100% confidence but tagging along Michael R.’s answer), I declare your magnificent Leonardo Arco Brown pen also made of cellulose nitrate. I just can’t bear the possibility that your stunning king of celluloid pen mIght be cellulose acetate! But honestly I would rather have a beautiful and authentic Arco Brown being wrongly diagnosed as cellulose acetate than an authentic cellulose acetate being falsely identified as Arco Brown! :D

Congratulations again and enjoy your treasure! And please tell us if we are all wrong. Always happy and grateful to learn.

kind regards,

como

Im definitely happy to be wrong and know that even the modern Arco Brown is cellulose nitrate.

Thank you very much

yes, my Arco Brown Omas Ogiva also is celluloide nitrate, it distinctly smells of camphor...

however nice, celluloid acetate cannot quite reach the qualities in colour depth of celluloid nitrate.

Edited by sansenri

I've pre-ordered mine.

Tough choice between olive green and blue, as well as nib and trim. But finally I went with blue, gold trim and EF nib :-)

I look forward to hearing your choices.

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting the video, it does look rather different from the photos...

I still find the price somewhat demanding for a resin pen.

Thank you for posting the video, it does look rather different from the photos...

I still find the price somewhat demanding for a resin pen.

Agree, "different" from the photos and perhaps nicer looking than the photos would lead one to conclude.

But, IMO it has a very "faux" appearance when compared with a genuine Arco celluloid.

For me to have the distinction of being "the resin to most look like genuine Arco celluloid" is like anything else which is "almost but not quite." Why acquire it when you can have the real thing??

:huh:

Don’t be so harsh, Seney724 ;) ;) ;) ! Not every nice looking lady has to look like Angelina Jolie. They are nice in their own way :) .

Agree, "different" from the photos and perhaps nicer looking than the photos would lead one to conclude.

But, IMO it has a very "faux" appearance when compared with a genuine Arco celluloid.

For me to have the distinction of being "the resin to most look like genuine Arco celluloid" is like anything else which is "almost but not quite." Why acquire it when you can have the real thing??

:huh:

Don’t be so harsh, Seney724 ;) ;) ;) ! Not every nice looking lady has to look like Angelina Jolie. They are nice in their own way :) .

:lticaptd:

Thanks for sharing the video. It may not be the same as arco, but it is breathtaking in its own right. Preordered mine a day or two after Appelboom opened preorders.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Novelli announced a Tredici Leonardo. Faceted, 13 sides, in Green or Red celluloid. I think both are Delta Celluloids. I preordered the green Tredici over a Cuspide. Maybe they can get the layers in the Cuspide more irregular similar to arco down the line. We'll see.

Novelli announced a Tredici Leonardo. Faceted, 13 sides, in Green or Red celluloid. I think both are Delta Celluloids. I preordered the green Tredici over a Cuspide. Maybe they can get the layers in the Cuspide more irregular similar to arco down the line. We'll see.

PenChalet has them in blue

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

The Tredici is very nice as well.

I don't have a Leonardo yet, but I very much appreciate what they are doing. Both refining current models (like upgrading the MZ grande with an in-house piston), innovating on materials (like the Cuspide and the Jonathan Brooks LE), maintaining a relatively affordable (how much do the regular MZ's go for), and so on and on. They are pushing the market further, which I like.

The Tredici by the way reminds me of the (old style) Paragon, with the facets and the section. If they produce this as a regular model with MZ like resins, they could hit the jackpots once again

Edited by RubenDh