Anybody Here Write With *only* One Fountain Pen?

Savit

Yes. Only one FP pen for the last 16 + months - a demonstrator Pelikan M200 with an "art" nib (something like an EF). And one ink - Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher (permanent blue black).

This is my favourite pen at the moment and has been inked and in use since I bought it about 5 years ago.

It never skipped, never needed nib or tines adjusted or was ever flushed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• picautomaton

• corniche

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

I don't write enough to ink more than one pen. When I started, I tried two pens, one dried up and and had to be tossed. Although now, noodler safety pen let's me have a 2nd pen that doesn't dry. Primary is hero 616, I think I understand the status of the p51. (lock down meant even less writing so just safety pen at the moment)

Sean, the O.P.'s chosen thread title does not preclude using a fountain pen in conjunction with some other type of pen. :D I'm sure there are a few fellow members who use a water brush pen in conjunction with a fountain pen for a given piece of work, as seen in many an artistic fountain ink review here from time to time.

:D

- S. :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I used to have several (5+) inked at a time, because I'd look through my cupboard and think "Oh, this will be nice to use again."

But I don't write much for my job, nor do I use them in other areas, so I have to focus on just keeping no more than 2 ready

As a writing instrument it makes sense to have only one pen inked. As an enthusiast, well .....

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

As a writing instrument it makes sense to have only one pen inked.

Why? Even as a schoolboy, there were black, blue and red pens in my "pencil case"; and as students we were never discouraged from writing down notes for subject of study in different colours, effectively colour-coding to convey meta-information; and unless one is using one of those "multi-pens" with exceedingly thin ballpoint refills all housed inside a thick pen body at once, it makes sense to have more than one writing instrument on hand and ready to deploy/write at a moment's notice. For different colours, for different stroke widths, or even as a back-up should the primary writing instrument that dispenses black ink fails at an inopportune and/or inconvenient moment.

As an enthusiast, well ...

I actually find self-styled fountain pen enthusiasts -- being one of them myself -- are more likely going to worry about and balk at keeping any number of pens inked when unused, for fear of clogging, staining or otherwise adversely affecting the pens for which they hold in such high regard, whereas not-quite-enthusiasts would probably happily leave five or a dozen pens all inked concurrently as if the pens' "hygiene" and/or resale value mean next to nothing, but treat fountain pens as no more precious or sophisticated than biros.

I have never come across an owner with a >$250 rollerball pen (of any brand) who'd say, "Oh, I love this pen but, since I have company-supplied pens and stationery to use at work, I don't use my fancy pen often enough, so let's not leave it 'inked' with a still-functional rollerball refill such that the pen is ready to write any time I need it to."

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Youre quite spot on ASmugDill. I love having numerous pens inked up.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Oops 😬

Edited by picautomaton

While I like having numerous pens filled at any given time (all with different inks, and especially with different colors), I also have to be careful that the in-rotation pen stash doesn't get unwieldy. I've tried to be good this week about flushing pens as they run dry (or, in one or two cases, refilling with distilled water and in one case refilling, and I still have to flat-out refill another one) before getting other pens inked up to try (or revisit) other inks.

I goggle at the number ASD has inked up at any given time, because for me that would be sensory overload.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 years later...

I own 7 all inked with different inks use all of them every day work and personal.

This is how I justify having 7 they are different colours and except for my 823 they run out and I have to switch pens too.

I think a great part of collecting type hobbies is the hunt for the next one... so it makes it very hard to stop at 7 lol.

I have a growing number of pens, but I try to restrict myself to having no more than two pens inked at any one time. Usually one with a ‘professional’-looking ink, and one with a ‘pretty’ ink (not that these criteria are mutually-exclusive).

I tend to change to using a different ink in a different pen whenever I have written a pen dry - because it gives me an excuse to ‘play with’ another pen.

On rare occasions I refill the same pen with the same ink.

The ink with which I seem to do that most often is Diamine ‘Chocolate Brown’, but I know that I also do it with Rohrer & Klingner’s two iron-gall inks; Salix and Scabiosa.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Long long time ago I tried to have only one pen inked at any any given time and use it , but I failed :) 

So, I usually have three pens inked at the same time: three different nibs and two ink colours. 

Moreover, for some occasions (important meetings, signing documents, etc) I have a forth pen inked, too. 

All the best is only beginning now...

On 7/16/2020 at 2:32 PM, Savit said:

Or do you actively write with multiple pens?

No, because my left hand does not write well.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan