Collecting Parker 100

mrsharkbait

Hi, I just came across this model, and I'd like to know of anything particular to look out for (design flaws, maintenance issues) when hunting for one and if possible what kind of pricing for a good (no scratches, no damage repaired) unrestored specimen.

I tried to search here for info specific to the 100, but the search results came back with a lot of unrelated item, most likely because of the rather generic "100" name.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• thx1138

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just google "Parker 100" (including the quotation marks) and you'll get a lot of hits, inluding some from right here on FPN.

Scratches like all lacquered pens Flow isn't that good with these pens.Here is an ebay listing that shows a used example with a few issues. A nice one will cost you. Likely £150 to 250

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-100-Rare-Fountain-Pen-/153999033796?hash=item23db0ec5c4%3Ag%3A%7Ev0AAOSwJAdfBWbz&nma=true&si=yOVNv0oGDfMiU9PC2AmVIHcIst4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Based upon my history -- my first one had to be sent in for service when the "fingers" in the cap were scraping off the blue finish on the section.

• 5 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, The Blue Knight said:

Scratches like all lacquered pens Flow isn't that good with these pens.Here is an ebay listing that shows a used example with a few issues. A nice one will cost you. Likely £150 to 250

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-100-Rare-Fountain-Pen-/153999033796?hash=item23db0ec5c4%3Ag%3A%7Ev0AAOSwJAdfBWbz&nma=true&si=yOVNv0oGDfMiU9PC2AmVIHcIst4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Oh... now prices for 100 in NOS boxed conditions are all over £200+... or it is juts me so unlucky?

I have found only ones available from the US, so plus taxes and postage makes it cost up to £300+ to have it here in the UK...

Whether it was available in burgundy at all?

All the best is only beginning now...

The P-100 is a nice smooth writer. Nib seems a shade wide for a medium, but that's great for the right paper / ink combination. 

Heavy pen. Good for note-work, but not an all-day writing pen as the P-51 was designed to be. 

A bit blocky...not an elegant shape. The colors and color combinations are peculiar, but that must have been the style in 2000 or so when Parker designed the pen. Sheaffer did the same with their Intrigue. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The Parker 100 are the granddaughters of the Parker 51, they are relatively rare pens due to their short run and short period that were manufactured 2004-2007. They were manufactured in 6 different colors. Follow a link with additional information.

<http://parkerpens.net/parker100.html>

Regards

Parker 100 are good pens in the heavy side.Many pen aficionados compare them to Parker 51 but they didn't have a big sales number. After they were discontinued many stores had them on sales for a long period.

11 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Parker 100 are good pens in the heavy side.Many pen aficionados compare them to Parker 51 but they didn't have a big sales number. After they were discontinued many stores had them on sales for a long period.

That sounds great as I like heavier pens.

So will definitely try 100 as soon as I can.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, TheRedBeard said:

That sounds great as I like heavier pens.

So will definitely try 100 as soon as I can.

Be on the lookout, also, for the Parker Ellipse, sold from about 200 - 2002. That would have made it Parker's offering between the Sonnet and the Modern Duofold, and the pen that the P-100 replaced in their line. The Ellipse also has a nice balance for a big and somewhat heavy pen -- another laquer-over-brass body. 

Typical price now seems to be about $185, although I found one for about $75 years ago.

Like the 100, they have gotten "collectible" since they were discontinued.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

36 minutes ago, welch said:

Be on the lookout, also, for the Parker Ellipse, sold from about 200 - 2002. That would have made it Parker's offering between the Sonnet and the Modern Duofold, and the pen that the P-100 replaced in their line. The Ellipse also has a nice balance for a big and somewhat heavy pen -- another laquer-over-brass body. 

Typical price now seems to be about $185, although I found one for about $75 years ago.

Thank you, Welch.

It seem I overlooked  this model completely...

But I really like it on photos, so will certainly try to find one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, jchch1950 said:

I've eventually purchased one: Cobalt Black GT with Medium nib in unused/mint condition and got really impressed - the pen is excellent and I really like it.

Will see how it performs in a long run...

Edited by TheRedBeard

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, welch said:

Hello Welch,

Thank you very much for your useful advice to look at Parker Ellipse more than a month ago.

I have purchased and just received Parker Ellipse (Dark Blue LAqcuer) in uninked NOS condition. 

I should unreservedly say it is a great pen - real gem, and I like it very much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 2:16 PM, TheRedBeard said:

Hello Welch,

Thank you very much for your useful advice to look at Parker Ellipse more than a month ago.

I have purchased and just received Parker Ellipse (Dark Blue LAqcuer) in uninked NOS condition. 

I should unreservedly say it is a great pen - real gem, and I like it very much.

Great! I have one with a fine nib, but find it is too fine for me...an elegant and well-balanced pen, though. Congratulations!

Hi all,

The Ellipse reminds me the least little bit of a Carene.

I've considered a 100, but I just can't get comfortable with it as they have gotten a lot of negative feedback for cracking plastic - yet, they seem to command high prices P51.com has a couple for 6 bills a piece... which kinda belies it's bad reputation.  :huh: 

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

13 hours ago, welch said:

Great! I have one with a fine nib, but find it is too fine for me...an elegant and well-balanced pen, though. Congratulations!

Thank you, Welch :)

I have got one with a medium nib but have not tried it yet...

Frankly, now I see Ellipse as a last Parker's masterpiece produced before Parker Pen Co stopped being "real" Parker...

13 hours ago, corniche said:

Hi all,

The Ellipse reminds me the least little bit of a Carene.

I've considered a 100, but I just can't get comfortable with it as they have gotten a lot of negative feedback for cracking plastic - yet, they seem to command high prices P51.com has a couple for 6 bills a piece... which kinda belies it's bad reputation.  :huh: 

- Sean :)

Hi Sean,

Yes, on another thread two days ago I mentioned crazy prices for P100 in NOS condition, and again it is only available in the US... nothing left in the UK :(

I've seen those controversial feedbacks about P100 build quality and plastics but I found it being of very good quality ... though I have tested it in a long run yet...

18 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Hi Sean,

Yes, on another thread two days ago I mentioned crazy prices for P100 in NOS condition, and again it is only available in the US... nothing left in the UK :(

I've seen those controversial feedbacks about P100 build quality and plastics but I found it being of very good quality ... though I have tested it in a long run yet...

Okay, thanks Red. I'd love to feel one in the hand, but as you said elsewhere, its tough to get to a show these days.

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.