Renaissance Wax

davisrankin

But, what he had to say was "at odds" with the "expert's" (hearsay based) opinion; he was quickly (and I thought rudely) disparaged, in spite of his experience.

He tried to point this out, again in a respectful way, but his comments were met with disdain.

I didnt read anything posted here as disdainful or rude.

There article Ron referenced was by people doing preservation work in museums. Thats not hearsay. Jon also reported first hand experience.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• FredRydr

• Freddy

• pen2paper

There article Ron referenced was by people doing preservation work in museums. Thats not hearsay. Jon also reported first hand experience.

No, Ron's reply was disdainful and rude and not becoming of a moderator.

No, Ron's reply was disdainful and rude and not becoming of a moderator.

Yo....Pal.....

Absurd.....

Still your friend and mine,

Fred

We can agree to disagree on your first point regarding how opinions were addressed. More on that later........

To your second point, unless I missed it, Ron did not provide an article. He only, as you say, "referenced" one.

Another member provided a link to an article entitled "WAX COATINGS ON ETHNOGRAPHIC METAL OBJECTS: JUSTIFICATIONS FOR ALLOWING A TRADITION TO WANE."

I do not know if this is the article which Ron was referencing or not but the member who provided the post went on to describe his own untoward experience with the product on his METAL pen.

Just because the product may be problematic on METAL does not mean there is not a use for it on objects made of other materials. And, as I read this thread, there have been at least two members who have contributed posts which detail their uses of it on materials other than metal.

I've never used the stuff. And, given that I know of celluloid's need to "breathe," I wouldn't use it (or anything else) on my celluloid pens. But, I would certainly consider using it on pens made of other materials unless I was aware of data and/or evidence that it was harmful to them.

It seems to me that given all that has gone on these past few months most everyone should realize that not all experts who come bearing "references" are creditable. I prefer to hear all sides of a matter, review whatever data and/or evidence exists and then make up my own mind. Telling me "an expert says so" and proclaiming anyone who disagrees is wrong is not what I want to hear. Circling back to your first point, austinwft tried to make this point and he summarily got shot down for disagreeing.

Ron is the paragon of measured and reasonable responses. There are literally *years* of his posts one can read (and learn from) and you would be hard-pressed to find an unkind regard in his responses to others.

I've gotten really sick of the current trend to diss people with long-term, deeply studied experience. Not just in the pen world, but we can see examples of it in this thread. It is mirrored in society in ways that are becoming detrimental to our future. Combine the experience, knowledge and research of just the two people - Ron and David Nishimura - and I don't have any problem knowing which direction I'll take. Some other guy does things with a few pens and doesn't seem to have a problem? Small sample sets don't sway me.

It is always a good habit to seek many opinions and data sets when making a decision, but not all of these reportings are equal in stature. Experience counts.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It seems to me that given all that has gone on these past few months most everyone should realize that not all experts who come bearing "references" are creditable.

There we go. Next up: people will be checking Qanon for advice on pen restoration.

BTW, the article I cited was the one that Ron Z referenced. It was fairly clear in the post in that regard.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Respectfully, your object your choice. Unless the object requires protocols dictated by a collections holding entity.

Respectfully I’d rather take the negative ding for supplying the conservation source than Ron or David, both important to writing instrument history, care practices, & restoration.

Experience can be a hard teacher. If I’d consulted conservation practices prior to displaying a pristine supple velvet garment, it clearly required specific lighting or not displayed at all. At removal supple had become cardboard & worse. 120 yrs pristine gone in 30 days.

Plus, at that time, handling with gloves was protocol avoiding moisture/body oils. Today, protocol includes nimble very clean hands to avoid stressing fragile pieces. Point being, we’re always learning. That was the case with R-Wax. Evidence & recognition its original purpose was not without issues.

Sharing here is to assist others, hopefully not repeating our mistakes. But again, respectfully, your object, your choice.

I think we all need to calm down.

For goodness sake, arguing over wax.

First and foremost, we need experts, experts have knowledge that we all need.

Respect what they say, listen to what they say.