Is It Worth Repairing This Swan P.p.

shalitha33

Ended up with the following Swan P.P.

Although the outside of the pen looks fine and still has the sticker on the cap, inside is a very different matter :(. Nib looks to be ok with tipping intact. Imprint looks strong. Barrel is a bit discolored.

fpn_1594706961__img_20200714_135923.jpg

fpn_1594707144__img_20200714_140143.jpg

Pen looks very much like a waterman safety but with a slightly different spiral. barrel only has one groove cut and the pin extend out only from one side. There are repairs done to the base of the spiral. It seems to be holding up but doesn't look that grate :(.

fpn_1594707232__img_20200714_140942.jpg

fpn_1594707253__img_20200714_141018.jpg

Feed holder / section is badly cracked :( It is still in one piece but i wouldn't expect it to work the way it is currently.

fpn_1594707358__img_20200714_140434.jpg

Is this something worth repairing ? I am assuming all internal parts will need to be re-created and not expecting it to be a simple task. Should i just leave it the way it is, or should i try to get this repaired by a professional. looking at how much is broken inside i don't know if it would be worth it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• shalitha33

• Goudy

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

The tool marks at the base don't look like they would affect anything. The crack is another matter. I don't think it is easily fixed.

One option is an outer collar that does not go all the way to the end.

Another option might be to cut off the portion with the crack and machine a new part, attached with a portion of inner sleeve.

But since this looks more like a piece to collect rather than write with, it might be best to leave it alone.

Honestly, if you're seriously into the idea of fixing it... I've been using JB weld for non-visible cracks in ebonite and it's been absolutely beastly. Not archival, but with a little prep on the crack, it will probably outlast the pen. Only real downside is that it won't wick into tiny splits, but that split looks nasty enough that you could get plenty in there to stabilize it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

"P. P." stands for Propelling Pen. Here's another example: https://antiquedigger.com/products/c1910-mabie-todd-swan-safety-self-propelling-pen-mottled-hard-rubber-restored?variant=31802724221003

They have some rarity value so could be worth getting professionally repaired, perhaps using parts from a Waterman safety or even 3D-printing the internals, as in this video:

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

I am sure that I can machine a part out of ebonite to replace the nib carrier. Not a complicated piece really. The question is the cost.

Trying JB weld is not a bad idea. It is just that the area cracked is where the nib and feed are held in, so there is quite a bit of stress on the crack. You have nothing at all to lose by trying that adhesive.

Or perhaps shalitha33 wants to trade me something he knows I want, and I will machine a new nib carrier for the Swan PP. I have also restored the seal on one of these Swan retractable nib safeties, and a fairly standard O ring from an assortment fit perfectly.

3D print for the helix is a great idea when needed. That is a difficult part to make, and 3D printing might be a great solution.

Edited by Greenie

Thank you all for all the info and suggestions :). I am not planning on writing with it so i can leave it the way it is.

Also managed to find a safety pen of a different brand with a similar size inner rod, that seems to fit the pen. Although it looked fine from the outside internals of the second pen was so bad that it can only ever be used as a parts pen :(.

Im a believer in function over form...anything that puts the nib in contact with paper is useful.

Im a believer in function over form...anything that puts the nib in contact with paper is useful.

+ 1