Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Fountain Pen Quotations

How about a post in the spirit of Bartlett’s Quotations, focusing on Fountain Pens.

A collection of all the truisms, maxims, pithy little sayings you’ve come up with, or heard once and remembered.

Here’s a few of my own.

- A fountain pen always knows when your wearing your favorite shirt.

- There’s an unholy attraction between nibs and feeds and an open drain.

- Don’t blame the pen for the ink.

- To push down on a fountain pen; to force it to write, is to still not understand fountain pens.

- Sometimes an ugly pen writes better than a beautiful one.

- The nib and feed are 90% of a good pen, and 100% of a bad one.

- Perfect pen and ink combinations, unexplained, but it happens.

- The best fountain pen somehow makes your handwriting look better.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PAKMAN

• vicpen123

• Beechwood

• Runnin_Ute

Dropped pens always land on the nib!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

Vanness Pens - Now selling Online!

- The thing that justifies a cranky, inefficient artifact like a fountain pen is how it can express the writers personality.

- sidthecat

Edited to attribute the source. Thanks for a nice quote, sidthecat, I've paraphrased it often since first seeing it to explain in brief why I use fountain pens.

Edited by johnsi02

I'm gonna make one up as influenced by FPN particularly @Bo Bo Olsen

- There's a new pen or sucker born every month

A pen is a pen is a pen is a pen (repeating) is not true.

Life is too short not to enjoy a good pen (or cigar, car, meal, drink, holiday .....).

Fill yer hand with .....ink.

A nib is where the thought meets the paper.

The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint.

Life is too short to write with an ugly pen or black ink!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

Antenociticus

"IV. Avoid haphazard writing materials. A pedantic adherence to certain papers, pens, inks is beneficial. No luxury, but an abundance of these utensils is indispensable."

Walter Benjamin, "The Writer's Technique in Thirteen Theses", from One-Way Street (1925–26)

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Here are two from famous writers:

My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Graham Greene

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

Mark Twain

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

HM The Queen to Prince Philip at a press conference and needing to sign a document.

'Have you brought your pen'

'Err no'

'I told you to'

Seeing the problem, Arthur Edwards, photographer at the Sun, hands her a Bic.

Her response.

'Hmm, a ballpoint'.

Edited by Beechwood

.... Some pen, somewhere, knows you have too much money and need to spend it.....

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

See the Mark Twain quote in my signature.

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try."

Mark Twain

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The pens you use least become the most expensive you own.

edit: this was evidently ambiguous so I changed a word. I intend that price does not matter, usage does.

Edited by praxim

X

The pens you use least are the most expensive you own.

Interesting. In my case, my three most expensive ($150+) are among my most used.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

True for me, don't think my 3-4 most expensive pens have been in rotation for quite a while!

PAKMAN

Interesting. In my case, my three most expensive ($150+) are among my most used.

Then they are cheap. That was my meaning. It is usage which determines effective price, not original price be it high or low. :)

X