Addipoint-Like Wasp Vacuum-Fil

oliverob

My question is: Where does this pen fit in the Sheaffer realm of sub-brands? It's a Wasp Vacuum-Fil with an Addipoint screw-on nib. Is its run concurrent with that of the Addipoints? Or does it start before, during or after?0003-min.JPG

Edited by oliverob

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oliverob

• Roger W.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could this pen's barrel have been incorrectly imprinted? Is it really an Addipoint?

Vacuum-Fil predates addipoint. I'm working on an article for the Pennant on the key sub-brand. Addipoint came in the 1950's, I think. Vacuum-Fil was last used May 1936.

Roger W.

What seems to me to suggest something more than a common Frankenpen, one put together from different pens outside the factory, is the fact that the interior of the pen's barrel where the Addipoint section screws in had to be threaded. What individual would go to the trouble of having that done to a Vacuum-Fil in order to accept an Addipoint nib? The pen itself would hardly seem to justify the expense, and the inexpensive steel Addipoint nib certainly not!

I'd appreciate any insight anyone is willing to share. I'm almost certain the pen came from Sheaffer in this configuration. One explanation would be that either the barrel was mistakenly imprinted as a Vacuum-Fil, or that a Vacuum-Fil barrel was inadvertently threaded to accept the Addipoint section. In the latter case, I'm assuming that the inner diameter of a Vacuum-Fil barrel is the same as an Addipoint barrel.

Oliver

I wouldn't be surprised if the addipoint unit wasn't the same size as the Vacuum-Fil. Pens are made in a relatively tight size range which is why you often find different companies hodge podged together.

Roger W.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files