Flimsy Nib Graf Von Faber Castell

rb120134

Hi,

I have a Graf von faber castell classic fountain pen with an 18k bi color medium nib, I have it inked with Cobalt Blue and use Rhodia paper, the pen writes wonderfully, only every now and then it has some bad skips, I made a video on this :

initially it doesnt write at all, at 00:34 it starts working, then at 1:43 it starts skipping and then at 1:48 it starts working again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro__VrbYy6Y&list=UUkzCB0ujRkA7CRB4AQC4Uzg&index=1

Sometimes I can write an entire page without 1 skip, and sometimes when I take the nib of the paper, then put it down again, it takes a long time before it starts writing again. I am left handed, does this make a difference? is there an ideal angle? I use rhodia paper. It is a bit flimsy.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rb120134

• gerigo

• senzen

• steve50

Top Posters In This Topic

Without seeing the tipping it'd be difficult to tell why. It could be for the reason you've mentioned, i.e., angle and the excessive smoothness of tipping and paper. But I'd first check if the ink is not sticking to the converter. Basically the ink in the converter might not be actually going to the feed, just sticking on the upper part of it. Try shaking the pen when it doesn't write and see if it writes.

You seem to have flow problems, not a bad nib; 99% of mine with 35+ pens have been solved simply with thorough cleaning, in extreme cases by letting the section soaking in water and a small drop of washing liquid.

If you then keep experiencing problems you might want to check the alignment of the nib with the feed, I've grown used to disassembling pens when possible and sensible - not something I would do with a vintage pen but very easy with my Faber Castell Ambition, which seemed to evaporate and clog up after a couple of years with the same ink.

Also watch out for oil residues from your hands on nice paper like Rhodia, it can make pens skip.

If you keep the pen uncapped as you write you might like one with a hooded nib, don't have one but they probably last even longer between words. I'm not a lefty but you might also want to seek a pen with an upturned nib, like Sheaffer Triumphs or the Pilot 912 WA. Good luck!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I had the convertet filled like half way, right now I fully filled the converter, same ink, it writes alot better, no skips so far or hard starts

There are many reasons why a nib will not work as well for a person. It could a myriad issues but most of us fault the nib almost right away.

The reason why I said this is I had the same problem with a custom nib from MB. It would skip and I would have them send it back. Each time the tech would say there is not a problem and they would clean the nib.

Until I realized the nib had a VERY specific sweet spot (its an italic nib) and that when I was trying it out, I was holding it with my usual grip which is a relatively high angle, slightly turned to the left. The techs would test it using a tester's grip which would be the nib at a relatively low angle with the nib facing straight up and having the nib drag it's own weight across the paper.

Back to your question.

It could be the ink. If the ink is relatively dry, and the nib has been uncapped for a little bit, it would hard start.

It could be your hand oils and the paper. I notice you are having problems half way down the page, where your hand was. With VERY smooth paper sometimes hand oils can play havoc. I now always have a little sales postcards that come in the mail to rest my writing hand on.

It could also be your grip. I notice you turn your pen to the right and write at almost 90 degrees. In order to make sure its your grip, use the tech technique as I described above to see whether the pen can write on it's own weight and drag it across the page.

You want to eliminate all the possibilities to make sure it's NOT the issue with the nib before tinkering with it. In my experience GVFC nibs are pretty good out the box. I have almost 20 of their pens they universally write pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gerigo

There are many reasons why a nib will not work as well for a person. It could a myriad issues but most of us fault the nib almost right away.

The reason why I said this is I had the same problem with a custom nib from MB. It would skip and I would have them send it back. Each time the tech would say there is not a problem and they would clean the nib.

Until I realized the nib had a VERY specific sweet spot (its an italic nib) and that when I was trying it out, I was holding it with my usual grip which is a relatively high angle, slightly turned to the left. The techs would test it using a tester's grip which would be the nib at a relatively low angle with the nib facing straight up and having the nib drag it's own weight across the paper.

Back to your question.

It could be the ink. If the ink is relatively dry, and the nib has been uncapped for a little bit, it would hard start.

It could be your hand oils and the paper. I notice you are having problems half way down the page, where your hand was. With VERY smooth paper sometimes hand oils can play havoc. I now always have a little sales postcards that come in the mail to rest my writing hand on.

It could also be your grip. I notice you turn your pen to the right and write at almost 90 degrees. In order to make sure its your grip, use the tech technique as I described above to see whether the pen can write on it's own weight and drag it across the page.

You want to eliminate all the possibilities to make sure it's NOT the issue with the nib before tinkering with it. In my experience GVFC nibs are pretty good out the box. I have almost 20 of their pens they universally write pretty well.

Hope this helps.

You say "pretty well"? So what are your cons with GvFC nibs?

You say "pretty well"? So what are your cons with GvFC nibs?

None. They are wonderful writers. All of them work right out of the box.

I am also curious what you mean by filmsy? Are they not well seated and shift around? Or do you mean they are too soft?

Because they are pretty much standard nibs with of course unique to GVFC imprints. There are many other companies that use the same nib system.

Edited by gerigo

In my experience GVFC nibs are wonderful right out of the box...incredibly consistently good.

I had filled my GvFC fountain pen with GvFC Cobalt blue ink about a week ago,

I have used the pen everyday. As days passed, it started to skip more and more, until it barely wrote at all as you can see in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDz1F9PC1ak&list=UUkzCB0ujRkA7CRB4AQC4Uzg&index=1

But, I looked at the converter while holding the pen upside down, I noticed some space between the converter and ink, so I gave the converter piston two twists, " pushing" the ink towards the nib without a drop falling off. Now it writes superb again, nice wet line, no skips, even when I leave the pen uncapped for like 30 seconds, it starts right away and doesnt skip.