I Would Like To Order A Hakase Fountain Pen

Bobby Check

I found this thread to be very helpful when thinking about ordering my first Hakase. I had much trouble deciding between what I selected and one of the wood pens, but ended up choosing a Jade Green. I thought I would share the order that I am now eagerly awaiting!

hakase order.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hawpunch

• mongrelnomad

• Bobby Check

• cll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats!

For me, one advantage of the 12/13 month wait, is having several months to think about any changes one might want to make, with regards to dimensions and furniture, before having to pay a penalty.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks - this is part of what I was thinking when I decided to place the order. I think there is a 50% chance I switch to ebony or rosewood. The woods are so special - but there is something about the jade celluloid, esp. with white buffalo finials like I chose, that is very classic. I do wonder whether the celluloid will age as well as the wood, which is one thing that gives me pause - I know celluloid is sometime prone to shrinking and other issues.

Snakewood urushi is finally sold out now. Didn’t expect it to take 9 months. Now hakase doesn’t have any urushi models again. 

@desgabets- congratulations. Great time to place an order since the waiting is reduced to 12 months instead of the 15-17 months that was earlier. 

From whom does  Hakase source their nibs?

Another question, is the 10, 15,   in the model number relates to the size of the nib as well as the pen

Are they using  pilot nib sizing system,  like 10 -> pilot #10 nib  and 15-> pilot #15 nib  or  is it something different.

Thanks 

15 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Congrats!

For me, one advantage of the 12/13 month wait, is having several months to think about any changes one might want to make, with regards to dimensions and furniture, before having to pay a penalty.

Exactly. With your initial order and payment you simply reserve your place in the queue. Any further changes, if they have a financial impact, are settled later in the process.

I have a GW15C on order and initially agreed with Ryo on an additional cap ring in the same hammered gold finish/texture as the section ring and roll stop. It would have looked great… But Ryo does not attach the gold straight on the wood. Instead, an internal ebonite construction is needed. And with additional threading and all, that increases the size of the cap too much…it distorts the balance in the proportions too much. So we cancelled the idea and the order went back to the “standard” GW15C, scheduled for end April 2022.

Thanks to @Mew, @Karmachanic and others who have replied since my post. Above I did express a bit of anxiety about the longevity of the celluloid pens in comparison to e.g. wood, which is one thing that is making me consider changing my order. But I wanted to ask if anyone knew if this is something I really should worry about, or if it is just something I am imagining. Am I right to worry that the celluloid Hakase might not age as well as the wood ones? Do I need to worry about shrinkage, warping, crazing, etc.? Or is that more a worry with celluloid that is not cured right?

I just want to make sure this is a pen that really can last a lifetime. Thanks!

No need to worry. Except for global thermonuclear warfare. Or ebola with a contagiousness of a common cold. Or a financial meltdown worse than 1929+1987+2007 combined. Your celluloid pen will outlive you and your family. A generation or three I’d think.

Please forgive my passive-aggressive irony. I’ve been wrestling with a jowo #6 gold “oblique-of-some-sort”, and I lost. I returned it. Feels like defeat, justified or not.

No worries! I am glad to hear that. I was only asking because I had seen a few Hakase's that either (1) had some celluloid shrinkage (this was a much older one), or (2) had some other issues that needed repair (Sean Newton had posted about fixing some on his instagram feed). So I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a big problem I needed to worry about, which if it was would likely bring me to switch to a wooden pen