I Would Like To Order A Hakase Fountain Pen

Bobby Check

I would like to order a Hakase Fountain Pen

I have gone to the company website found the order forms which are quite detailed.

https://fp-hakase.com/en/order/form-fountainpen/

I am having trouble understanding the codes and was hoping I could have assistance from others who have ordered pens from this company.

Item 3: Grip position

What do the numbers for fore finger and thumb mean?

Also under Checkpoint there are a number of codes some of which I have not been able to figure out.

What is a CS RING?

What is a BL RING?

What is a N RING?

What does “INK F” mean? And what to the codes “W”, “N” and “D” mean?

Under that is “W”. What does that mean? And what are the codes under it mean?

No – M – D

L – M – H?

Thanks,

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hawpunch

• mongrelnomad

• Bobby Check

• cll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As such those are not relevant for you, no point in knowing what they mean. I didnt, and when I got to know it seemed completely pointless knowledge.

Those are Ryo-san's codes. You don't need to fill them out, and you don't need to know what they mean (though each corresponds to a specific detail).

Tell him which model you want, and fill out the questions (enclosed in the grey box) about how you hold your pen - the numbers relate to where your fingers rest in normal writing - and how you write. You will get back a completed sheet with a hand-drawn picture of the pen you will receive.

Then sit back and wait. The pens are marvellous.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Those are Ryo-san's codes. You don't need to fill them out, and you don't need to know what they mean (though each corresponds to a specific detail).

Then sit back and wait. The pens are marvellous.

Exactly. Pick your choice(s) and those codes will take care of themselves. As such they are not relevant for you.

If you really want to know:

CS ring - the cap ring which the clip is attached to (dependent on model)

BL ring - barrel roll stopper (dependent on model)

N ring - section ring

Ink F - ink flow Wet, neutral or dry. By default it is wet.

W - weight. By default no weight is added to the pen.

Like I said, irrelevant.

Edited by Mew

I ordered a FB15A in red and black ebonite.

The size was adjusted to my preferences and I requested a fine medium nib. I like the ebonite pens in this size and shape as I can write quite quickly with them, which I sometimes have to do. I like a nib which just glides across the paper. I know where the nib is and I don’t need feedback to know the position of the nib on the page, as I am watching.

Years ago, I had Brian at Edison Pens make me a custom desk pen with a Visconti dream touch nib that he adjusted. It was and still is excellent. I am still very pleased with the pen, which really is quite an accomplishment.

I have never done anything like this since so I am quite excited

I am sure it will be wonderful!

Thanks,

Bobby

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

https://fp-hakase.com/en/works/fb15a/

The size was adjusted to my preferences and I requested a fine medium nib. I like the ebonite pens in this size and shape as I can write quite quickly with them, which I sometimes have to do. I like a nib which just glides across the paper. I know where the nib is and I dont need feedback to know the position of the nib on the page, as I am watching.

Years ago, I had Brian at Edison Pens make me a custom desk pen with a Visconti dream touch nib that he adjusted. It was and still is excellent. I am still very pleased with the pen, which really is quite an accomplishment.

Thanks,

Bobby

Oh youre in for a treat. Enjoy the excruciating wait!

The size was adjusted to my preferences and I requested a fine medium nib. I like the ebonite pens in this size and shape as I can write quite quickly with them, which I sometimes have to do. I like a nib which just glides across the paper. I know where the nib is and I don’t need feedback to know the position of the nib on the page, as I am watching.
Thanks,
Bobby

As the owner of two Hakase fountain pens myself, whatever you ordered from Hakase will be of the highest quality and craftsmanship. My first Hakase is an African Ebony fountain pen which I received in April 2016. My second Hakase is an Amboyna Burl Urushi fountain pen. Both pens have never left my rotation and I still use them daily. Wonderful, wonderful pens. I hope you enjoy your pen as much as I have mine.

As the owner of two Hakase fountain pens myself, whatever you ordered from Hakase will be of the highest quality and craftsmanship. My first Hakase is an African Ebony fountain pen which I received in April 2016. My second Hakase is an Amboyna Burl Urushi fountain pen. Both pens have never left my rotation and I still use them daily. Wonderful, wonderful pens. I hope you enjoy your pen as much as I have mine.

They're brilliant. Mine tend to be elbowed out by Sailor Realos and Conids when I travel, but when I'm at home (as I am during this period of deepest uncertainty), my four Hakases get much of the use.

Lucky you! The Amboyna Burl has been unavailable for quite a while - and I believe it isn't coming back. Please correct me if I'm wrong, which I would be enchanted to be. I would really love one.

They're brilliant. Mine tend to be elbowed out by Sailor Realos and Conids when I travel, but when I'm at home (as I am during this period of deepest uncertainty), my four Hakases get much of the use.

Four! And I thought two was too much :). I can totally understand though. Hakase fountain pens are so unique and beautiful that it is difficult to resist getting another.

Lucky you! The Amboyna Burl has been unavailable for quite a while - and I believe it isn't coming back. Please correct me if I'm wrong, which I would be enchanted to be. I would really love one.

Yes! I was really hesitant to pull the trigger on the Amboyna Burl but Im glad I did. I think I was one of the last orders that Hakase was able to fulfill. I dont believe they will get more material unfortunately :(. The African ebony is another wonderful material though.

Yes! I was really hesitant to pull the trigger on the Amboyna Burl but Im glad I did. I think I was one of the last orders that Hakase was able to fulfill. I dont believe they will get more material unfortunately :(. The African ebony is another wonderful material though.

The burl is indeed amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I inquire the experience of ordering a Hakase pen?

Understand the waiting time is long. Should you decide to change your specification (ie from another model to a different one), is that allowed (barring commencement of work on your order)

Do you have pay all upfront when you place an order? Os is there a staggered kind of payment?

Thank you

Changing is fine, I've changed models from the time I ordered to around the time my pen was close to the front queue.

Payment iirc is half upfront and the other half later.

For me it was a good experience. Certainly the help I had from the forum here was of great assistance.

However, the company itself was of tremendous assistance and was very patient.

I did pay for the entire cost of my pen up front and it seems to be expected now.

Obviously I am learning to wait.

Thanks,

Bobby

Can I inquire the experience of ordering a Hakase pen?

Understand the waiting time is long. Should you decide to change your specification (ie from another model to a different one), is that allowed (barring commencement of work on your order)

Do you have pay all upfront when you place an order? Os is there a staggered kind of payment?

Thank you

My experience with Hakase was very positive. The owner is very attentive and responsive. The only hang up may be the language barrier that may be present. I believe the owner uses Google translate which leads to some strange translations that were hilarious at times, but still understandable. I’m sure it was pretty funny on his end as well :).

I didn’t have to change any of my orders so I can’t comment on that. I paid half up front and half at the time of completion for both my Hakase fountain pens. Not sure if that is still the practice.

Thank you for the responses.

I wanted to ask another question. Am not sure if I should ask here or start another tread.

Thinking of getting a customised FP and the choices are between a Nakaya vs Hakase. I am just wondering which route to go. One is a platinum nib with Urushi over ebonite and one is main Pilot nibs with various wood offering but it seems to be at a higher price level.

I wonder if you have had such deliberations before. I have both pilot and platinum nibs and appreciate the differences between both and use both.