Yellow Paper!

vxv

I'm looking for a fountain-pen friendly yellow or yellow toned blank paper.

This came about when I tried Fuyu-gaki on my regular paper (bit like a thicker, paler Tomoe River) and found it too red and pale for my taste. I want a paper that makes Fuyu-gaki look more like a persimmon.

I really love the 'depth/richness' swatches have when I edit the hues to the yellow side. So if you have any yellow papers you think really bring out certain colors, (I myself am looking to enhance browns, deep greens, and reds) please share!

Edited by isoin

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vxv

• dennis_f

• senzen

• inkstainedruth

You might also want to try other pens, here's Fuyu Gaki with an Artus 41 and a Waterman (W5), and Rouge Hématite for comparison. The paper might be Triomphe.

vxu5.jpg

It comes out so dark from the Waterman that it looks like a red, but after a few words it starts to look like on the upper part of the G, you probably want something in the middle, a wet pen that does not evaporate might help.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Rhodia makes legal pads (at least -- not sure about other sizes) with yellow paper.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You might also want to try other pens, here's Fuyu Gaki with an Artus 41 and a Waterman (W5), and Rouge Hématite for comparison. The paper might be Triomphe.

vxu5.jpg

It comes out so dark from the Waterman that it looks like a red, but after a few words it starts to look like on the upper part of the G, you probably want something in the middle, a wet pen that does not evaporate might help.

Thank you for the tip! However the top writing is how it looks on my paper as well, and I want it to be more orange than that. But it shows me the right wetness the pen should have when I do use it on yellow paper.

Clairfontaine's paper is, to my eye, a darker yellow than my Rhodia pads. As far as I know, though, all their paper is lined (but I might be wrong about that).

Also, if you're near a Staples (or Office Depot), they carry a line of paper called "Brights" which is heavier than their typical copy paper. Two of those shades -- one called Canary, and one called Yellow -- might work. One of those two is a neutral yellow (picture a post-it note), and the other is eye-searingly yellow.

I don't know whether it's FP friendly, only that it's a heavier weight than their standard paper (and their heavier papers have been fp friendly in the past).

You might be looking for cream or ivory paper?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/229651-shall-we-try-to-list-all-the-cream-paper-out-there/

I have some cream / ivory Strathmore, never used it much though. Wouldn't mind trying some G Lalo Velin some day: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/195559-paper-review-g-lalo-velin-de-france/

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I'm looking for a fountain-pen friendly yellow or yellow toned blank paper.

This came about when I tried Fuyu-gaki on my regular paper (bit like a thicker, paler Tomoe River) and found it too red and pale for my taste. I want a paper that makes Fuyu-gaki look more like a persimmon.

I really love the 'depth/richness' swatches have when I edit the hues to the yellow side. So if you have any yellow papers you think really bring out certain colors, (I myself am looking to enhance browns, deep greens, and reds) please share!

Rhodia has "Yellow" pads with yellow paper. They also have ivory colored higher end notebooks and pads. IIRC they sell this ivory paper in pads as "Cream" series.

Mead's Cambridge series wirebound pads come with ivory and yellow papers here. They are cheaper than Rhodia, a bit more absorbent but as fountain pen friendly. I currently use a yellow one at the office and ivory one at home.

You might be looking for cream or ivory paper?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/229651-shall-we-try-to-list-all-the-cream-paper-out-there/

I have some cream / ivory Strathmore, never used it much though. Wouldn't mind trying some G Lalo Velin some day: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/195559-paper-review-g-lalo-velin-de-france/

I am familiar with cream and ivory, but I am looking for something a bit more 'unnatural', similar to Bockingford's tinted watercolor paper. I can't remember the fountain pen papers that are like that, especially since I can't go out to the stores right now.

Clairfontaine's paper is, to my eye, a darker yellow than my Rhodia pads. As far as I know, though, all their paper is lined (but I might be wrong about that).

Also, if you're near a Staples (or Office Depot), they carry a line of paper called "Brights" which is heavier than their typical copy paper. Two of those shades -- one called Canary, and one called Yellow -- might work. One of those two is a neutral yellow (picture a post-it note), and the other is eye-searingly yellow.

I don't know whether it's FP friendly, only that it's a heavier weight than their standard paper (and their heavier papers have been fp friendly in the past).

Thank you! I know exactly what you're talking about but never considered it as a FP option.

Thank you! I know exactly what you're talking about but never considered it as a FP option.

If you do go this route, you may want to compare it to the heavier weight Staples brand copy paper. I just double-checked and the paper I use in the office is the 28lb (98 brightness) weight. It's been fine for FP use. The 32 lb is that much better. Both of those are laser printer quality. The 92lb is terrible; I've gotten away with it with an XF nib and a light touch, but anything above a medium will probably feather and/or show-through.