Waterman Aztec And Absolute Browns Reviews And Comparison

IThinkIHaveAProblem

I like vintage ink

I like the idea that ink that was made in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s HAD TO WORK

It had to be relatively trouble free and it had to perform as expected. This was after all, a time when fountain pens were simply PENS. They were expected to write and write well.

On that note, I recently bought a bottle of Waterman's Aztec Brown.
The bottle is almost NOS. Using it, I found that I really like it. This is a problem as the stuff is getting expensive.
So, I decided to get a bottle of the current Absolute Brown and compare them to one another.

Here are the results:

IMG_8276.jpeg

Waterman's Aztec Brown

2oz bottle, vintage (1940s-50s)
Bought on eBay Jun 2020
for $10 This brown leans
only a little red-ish
Ink has that vintage
Waterman's smell (Phenol?)
Flows great, no surprise
there. No bleed or feathering
except on the worst
quality paper Good
shading + lots of vari-
ation depending on the
pen used.
(Dry Times)
Would
buy again?
Yes
Shading: Good/Medium
Saturation: Good/Medium
Feathering: Some/Low-ish
Spread: Low-Nil
Bleed: Low-Nil
Cleaning: Very Easy
IMG_8277.jpeg
Waterman Absolute Brown
50ml bottle The Papery
Jun 2020. This is Waterman's
current brown formu-
lation. It used to be
called Havana Brown
As a Waterman ink it
flows well and behaves
well. Like Aztec Brown
there is a lot of difference
from pen to pen. It is
slightly redder + darker than
Aztec Brown. That may be
due to Aztec's age.
(Dry Times)
Would
Buy
Again?
Yes!
Shading: Good/Medium
Saturation: Good/Medium
Feathering: Nil
Spread: Nil
Bleed: Nil
Cleaning: Easy
Notes: Good but
Slightly redder replacement
for Aztec Brown
IMG_8279.jpeg

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• Intensity

• PAKMAN

• jacksterp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this comparison. Very helpful!

Was not familiar with either of these inks.

Like both from what I see.

Think I'll try the Absolute Brown.....

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks for this comparison. Very helpful!

Was not familiar with either of these inks.

Like both from what I see.

Think I'll try the Absolute Brown.....

:)

Mark

You're welcome. It Is the cheaper and more widely available being that it is still in production :)

I think I like the older one better. Thanks for the comparison.

You're welcome.

I think I like Aztec better too. But they are VERY VERY close in colour and performance. And Absolute being the current production ink is much cheaper and easier to get. If you look at the chromatography i suspect adding a teeny tiny bit of yellow to Absolute would probably help make it slightly less reddish and likely bring it in line with Aztec

Interesting, thank you! I prefer the Aztec Brown, and based on those chromatography strips, it appears the vintage ink has better water resistance than the modern one.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Interesting, thank you! I prefer the Aztec Brown, and based on those chromatography strips, it appears the vintage ink has better water resistance than the modern one.

you're welcome

Their water resistances are tested on the review pages as well. Frankly neither performed particularly well. But neither claims any water resistance.

In the end IMO they performed about the same, Aztec may have performed a tiny bit better

Great job, great review. I have my boring Polar Brown, so I'm not tempted anymore :)

Thanks, glad you liked it :)

you're welcome

Their water resistances are tested on the review pages as well. Frankly neither performed particularly well. But neither claims any water resistance.

In the end IMO they performed about the same, Aztec may have performed a tiny bit better

I'm seeing a gray water-resistant line on Aztec's chromatography strip, but none noticeable with Absolute's. Aztec's water resistance test also looks better than Absolute's on my screen based on the photographs.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I also like the vintage which is a good thing since there is already a bottle of it here.

Nice! I've never considered vintage ink and pray all the gods they keep it that way, enough with the current ones! I've recently come into possession of R&K last "ink of the year": Kastanienbraun, and was slightly bummed out that it seem to lack the slight reddish tinge I had seen in the (few, admittedly) online reviews. Absolute brown is way too red though, so my preference goes with the Aztec one.

I'm seeing a gray water-resistant line on Aztec's chromatography strip, but none noticeable with Absolute's. Aztec's water resistance test also looks better than Absolute's on my screen based on the photographs.

Totally agree. Youre not imagining things. What i meant is that functionally neither of them has any real water resistance compared to say Bad Blue Heron

Seems like Waterman should take note. People prefer Aztec over Absolute almost unanimously! (Not that i have any illusions that large corporations give two figs what we the little people think)

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem

I have a bottle of Waterman brown that was previously known as Havana Brown.

Thank you for showing us that Aztec Brown. Just the label on the bottle shows the age.

Posted Image

I have a bottle of Waterman brown that was previously known as Havana Brown.

Thank you for showing us that Aztec Brown. Just the label on the bottle shows the age.

You're welcome.

I have a bottle of Skrip vintage BB and a vintage bottle of MB Turquoise (the plastic triangle one) on the way

As well as a bottle of Jade Green Superchrome

That is if Pitney Bowes and Canada post ever do their freaking jobs and actually TRANSPORT packages...

Note to american "bay" sellers. The "international shipping program" is (bleep). it doubles the shipping costs, triples the shipping time, and adds NO extra security. International buyers will actively avoid your auctions unless the price is UNBELIEVABLY good because of this program. People who ship USPS? They get my business first if there is an option.

ok, end rant.

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem

It's awful when you look at a review and say, man I'd like to try that and realize it is vintage and out of production and kind of hard to find! lol

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

It's awful when you look at a review and say, man I'd like to try that and realize it is vintage and out of production and kind of hard to find! lol

sorry! :wub:

Have a bottle of Havana and have been quite happy with it.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.