lowflyer

I've been having some issues with my 90th Anniversary Edition 149 & my journey to get it repaired.

I purchased my pen new from one of the Authorized Dealers in St. Maarten in January this year while I was on a cruise. As soon as I got home, I inked it up with some UNICEF Blue and all was good until it started leaking onto the grip section a couple of months later. I also didn't like how the medium nib wrote so I asked to exchange the nib for an OBBB when I sent it out in March.

Since I sent it in, I've had an "interesting" experience with MontBlanc's repair center. I was told that the 90th anniversary 149 was no longer considered a limited edition model and was not eligible for the nib exchange program. This conflicts with what my salesman told me when I purchased it in January. My salesman told me that since it was a limited edition model, I would have a year to exchange the nib if I didn't like how the medium nib wrote. I was also told by the service center that they could not determine the authenticity of 149 as my warranty booklet was not filled out completely. I sent a scan of my receipt to no avail.

Since then, I have reached out to the jeweler who I purchased my 149 from in St. Maarten. They would contact the service center themselves and resolve all of the issues that I am facing. This was back in April and I still haven't heard anything from either MontBlanc or the Jeweler.

We're now approaching the end of June and it appears that no progress has been made on getting this pen repaired. Any suggestions?

Edited by lowflyer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• lowflyer

• jchch1950

• zaddick

I will send a message to MB Hamburg to explain the problem and ask them what the solution can be.

I really appreciate it! This has been a rather frustrating process and I look forward to hearing what the folks in Hamburg have to say about the matter. If you need any information from me, please just reach out and I'll get it to you.

The 90th anniversary is a special edition, not a limited edition. However, you should be entitled to a nib exchange for up to 6 to 8 (could be 12) weeks after purchase. The time frame would be listed in the warranty book. The book does not need to be filled out if you have a detailed purchase receipt from an authorized dealer. I'd try to independently confirm if the jeweler is an authorized dealer. I think MB has a list on the web of ADs.

Sounds like you were in the time frame for the swap (again the booklet spells the time frame out) so this should not be an issue. Contact customer service and try to get to a manager. If you have a case number or anything already have it handy. they are not the best at getting back or giving straight answers. You'll need to be your own advocate, but sounds like you are in the right (again assuming the seller was an AD) so thi should work out in your favor.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The 90th anniversary is a special edition, not a limited edition. However, you should be entitled to a nib exchange for up to 6 to 8 (could be 12) weeks after purchase. The time frame would be listed in the warranty book. The book does not need to be filled out if you have a detailed purchase receipt from an authorized dealer. I'd try to independently confirm if the jeweler is an authorized dealer. I think MB has a list on the web of ADs.

Sounds like you were in the time frame for the swap (again the booklet spells the time frame out) so this should not be an issue. Contact customer service and try to get to a manager. If you have a case number or anything already have it handy. they are not the best at getting back or giving straight answers. You'll need to be your own advocate, but sounds like you are in the right (again assuming the seller was an AD) so thi should work out in your favor.

I sent it in at the end of March. If I would have had 12 weeks to send it in, it would have been sent in just days past the limit. I will say that if I was told Id have 12 weeks or even 6 weeks to get the nib exchanged, I would have sent it off well before it started leaking in March. My fault for believing an AD. And to answer your question, this was purchased at one of the ADs listed on their website.

Honestly at this point instead of sinking half of my purchase price into a pen that I havent seen in 12 weeks, Id rather purchase yet another 149 and have the nib exchanged outright. I dont have a problem with this other than that I strongly dislike how this pen writes with its medium nib. Its much worse than any of the demonstrator nibs that Ive been able to try.

My opinion: dealing with MB "service" is orders of magnitude more trouble than it's worth. For that reason, if there's something wrong with the one-and-only modern MB I own (happens to be a 149-90th), I'd either take care of it myself (as I did when the piston froze) or find an independent repairman/nibmeister. Better (again: my opinion) to deal with someone who aims to please and whose business depends on excellent customer service than a company that seems to create lots of aggro for customers.

My opinion: dealing with MB "service" is orders of magnitude more trouble than it's worth. For that reason, if there's something wrong with the one-and-only modern MB I own (happens to be a 149-90th), I'd either take care of it myself (as I did when the piston froze) or find an independent repairman/nibmeister. Better (again: my opinion) to deal with someone who aims to please and whose business depends on excellent customer service than a company that seems to create lots of aggro for customers.

The Mississauga service centre in Canada is outstanding. As is the service centre in Hamburg. I am speaking from personal experience.

I sent it in at the end of March. If I would have had 12 weeks to send it in, it would have been sent in just days past the limit. I will say that if I was told Id have 12 weeks or even 6 weeks to get the nib exchanged, I would have sent it off well before it started leaking in March. My fault for believing an AD. And to answer your question, this was purchased at one of the ADs listed on their website.

Honestly at this point instead of sinking half of my purchase price into a pen that I havent seen in 12 weeks, Id rather purchase yet another 149 and have the nib exchanged outright. I dont have a problem with this other than that I strongly dislike how this pen writes with its medium nib. Its much worse than any of the demonstrator nibs that Ive been able to try.

I'm curious how you get on with this issue.