Efnir: Diamine 1864 Blue Black

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine 1864 Blue Black

This is review #22 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.Diamine1864BlueBlack.jpg.01af24a51474325dd7f24a984de147e7.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.Diamine1864BlueBlackS.jpg.f54153d60843a3f3b623ce6550fa8efe.jpg

Zoomed in photo:

large.Diamine1864BlueBlackZ.jpg.2fe90b2c8e4cdcd2298bfcb6e978f9a5.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.Diamine1864BlueBlackAP.jpg.ef5965f1475c06c0bc6ad2133e2f65d5.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Rohrer & Klingner SketchINK Frieda.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• chromantic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great ink and sadly, although I've had a bottle for some time, I've never really got round to using it in a pen for any length of time. Must dig it out!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It is a great ink and sadly, although I've had a bottle for some time, I've never really got round to using it in a pen for any length of time. Must dig it out!

Well, your pen will enjoy it. Every now and then, your eyes will try to convince you that you see a very dark purplish blue, but your brain will find their efforts highly suspect. :P

Thanks for the video-review... the more I look at them, the more I like them. Great format. I especially like the speed-up you built in (well... I assume that’s it, since I can’t believe anyone can write that fast). What speed-up factor do you use? Reminds me of the old Comedy Capers movies :lol:

As for the ink... I hate it ! Straight from the black pits of Mordor. For the moment there are only two inks that I really dislike: this one and Pelikan Edelstein Jade. Don’t know why, but this one just doesn’t work for me.

Thanks for the video-review... the more I look at them, the more I like them. Great format. I especially like the speed-up you built in (well... I assume that’s it, since I can’t believe anyone can write that fast). What speed-up factor do you use? Reminds me of the old Comedy Capers movies :lol:

As for the ink... I hate it ! Straight from the black pits of Mordor. For the moment there are only two inks that I really dislike: this one and Pelikan Edelstein Jade. Don’t know why, but this one just doesn’t work for me.

:lol: Mordor. :lol: Yeah, I don't like black ink, and this is black ink, basically. It does feel good under the nib, though.

Speed up factor? Why extra-strength Excedrin overdoses, of course! (That is a joke, children, do not overdose on Excedrin or anything else!)

Actually, most of the video is sped up to 375% of normal - that seemed like a good speed to be able to read what I'm writing without falling behind. Some parts of the video - the color comparisons, end screen, and water-test, if any - I either leave at 100% or speed them up by whatever factor is needed to make them last as long as I think they ought to last. :)

Ooo, two tappety taps for me in one day. How lovely.

Thank you. :)

:) Gladly!

Thanks Liz

I have a sample of this. Ive made a swatch card and REALLY like the colour. But I haven't used it yet. Now i see that if/when i do use it, not to waste my time on an EF nib and instead use something like a 1.1mm stub so i can see the colour! :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Thanks Liz

I have a sample of this. Ive made a swatch card and REALLY like the colour. But I haven't used it yet. Now i see that if/when i do use it, not to waste my time on an EF nib and instead use something like a 1.1mm stub so i can see the colour! :)

Ah, but if you use an EF nib, you'll get to experience the joy of wondering whether that hint of really dark blue is real or all in your imagination! :P

Thanks, but i have enough issues with wondering if things are real or not as it is! :P

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Thanks, but i have enough issues with wondering if things are real or not as it is! :P

Nothing is real. The entire universe is nothing more than a Fig Newton of your imagination.

Great review, Liz. Love your format. Mine take ages...... :)

I agree with Shroom, this is a wannabe black ink. Can't stand it.....

You can add Doyou to it....an ink that I have to control myself not to throw it down the drain, ugh....

Great review, Liz. Love your format. Mine take ages...... :)

I agree with Shroom, this is a wannabe black ink. Can't stand it.....

You can add Doyou to it....an ink that I have to control myself not to throw it down the drain, ugh....

:lticaptd: But at least Doyou is said to clean other inks out of a pen. (I've never tried it - figure the pen flush and sonicator are sufficient.)

Thanks!

:lticaptd: But at least Doyou is said to clean other inks out of a pen. (I've never tried it - figure the pen flush and sonicator are sufficient.)

Thanks!

Exactly.... If memory serves me right, Red Rattler's red does the same....

This ink does nothing for me. I have plenty of inks that are blah, that didn't measure up.

However, I really look forward to your reviews, they are entertaining while getting to the point and providing a good example of how it performs. It was about time that someone took on how much different an ink will look with a F or EF nib vs a broad or stub. It would have saved me some money in the long run!

I hope you have a lot of inks to test!

I love your reviews. I love blue-black inks. But this? Yeah....only DouYou comes closer to being the Official Ink of Mordor.

So....why do I want to try some? 😝

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I really like this ink. It's one of two EDCs (the other being MV Sapphire), though that's mainly down to my having loaded it into a snap-cap PaperMate to test it and it's been there ever since.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks for the review! I love this ink, but only in broader nibs where you don't have to guess if it's blue-black or just black. Actually this is what I had in mind before dunking nose first in the ink world, when I first heard the word "blue-black". All others are just blue or dark blue.

This ink does nothing for me. I have plenty of inks that are blah, that didn't measure up.

However, I really look forward to your reviews, they are entertaining while getting to the point and providing a good example of how it performs. It was about time that someone took on how much different an ink will look with a F or EF nib vs a broad or stub. It would have saved me some money in the long run!

I hope you have a lot of inks to test!

:) Thank you! Filling the EF gap was my whole reason for doing this - like you, I've got too many inks that don't look like the broad-nib writing samples. And yeah, I've got about 120 of them. If you click the link to the inky poll, you'll see the ones still pending. ETA: Fortunately the vast majority are samples.

I love your reviews. I love blue-black inks. But this? Yeah....only DouYou comes closer to being the Official Ink of Mordor.

So....why do I want to try some?

If you must, get a Goulet sample - I know everyone complains about "only 2mL", but for an EF nib, or only a few pens, that's enough, and they are cheaper than the 3, 4, and 5 mL samples available elsewhere. Meanwhile, maybe we should write to Diamine and suggest a name change: Diamine Black Heart of Mordor? Diamine Orc Blood?

I really like this ink. It's one of two EDCs (the other being MV Sapphire), though that's mainly down to my having loaded it into a snap-cap PaperMate to test it and it's been there ever since.

So, how's the weather in Mordor these days? :P Sorry, couldn't resist! I never understand why people use black ink, or even Royal Blue, but to each their own, and this one at least is pleasant to write with.

Thanks for the review! I love this ink, but only in broader nibs where you don't have to guess if it's blue-black or just black. Actually this is what I had in mind before dunking nose first in the ink world, when I first heard the word "blue-black". All others are just blue or dark blue.

You're welcome! Hurray! Chromantic has a friend in Mordor. ;) You might have liked R&K Blau-Schwarz - a very dark blue black, but not so black as this thing from Diamine. It's really unfortunate the R&K was a limited edition - it actually got me started down the blue-black road that's now my favorite path. :D We were on the verge of doing my favorite dark blue that looks pretty blue-black to me, but it appears Sherlock Holmes has pulled ahead in the inky poll. We'll have to see where we are at the end of the week. :)

Edited by LizEF