How Many Actual English Pen Factories Are There Today?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• Hanoi

• WhiteStarPens

• northlodge

TheRedBeard
10 minutes ago, WhiteStarPens said:

Many thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

My pleasure ;)

All the best is only beginning now...

ParramattaPaul

There are two ways of looking at this: ownership and premises.  Using 'How Many Actual English Pen Factories Are There Today?', as a guide the discussion is about where the pens are made.  In that case, the list reasonably includes, Yard of Lead, Conway Stewart, Onoto, Manuscript, and a number of smaller producers such as Worcester Pen Co.

inkstainedruth

Ran across this thread again just now.  I picked up a Platinum "Italic Set" this morning at an estate sale company's warehouse sale.  Couldn't find any sort of date on the packaging (and the "instruction sheet" seems to be missing -- I had hoped for some sort of copyright notice).  The fine print on the cardboard insert separating the pen from the other nib units says "MENTMORE MANUFACTURING CO LTD" and then below it says "STEVENAGE/HERTS SG1 2AY/ENGLAND".

I was also amused by the warning to NOT use waterproof India inks above the "Mentmore" part.  The pen seems to be a squeeze filler -- think "Parker 21" or "Pilot Metropolitan Con-B converter".  

Did I need Yet Another™ calligraphy set?   Nb: I've never used 3 of the nib units on the Parker Vector set; and haven't even had the Sheaffer calligraphy set -- I THINK the pen is a No Nonsense -- out of the box yet, other than to inspect the condition of the four cartridges included... so, probably not -- but the Sheaffer set was eight bucks two weeks ago at the same antiques shop where I got that Waterman Exclusive awhile back; and the Platinum set was four bucks....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Karmachanic
8 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Ran across this thread again just now.  I picked up a Platinum "Italic Set"

Platignum, no?

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

TheRedBeard
17 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

There are two ways of looking at this: ownership and premises.  Using 'How Many Actual English Pen Factories Are There Today?', as a guide the discussion is about where the pens are made.  In that case, the list reasonably includes, Yard of Lead, Conway Stewart, Onoto, Manuscript, and a number of smaller producers such as Worcester Pen Co.

Sure, and based on its manufacturing facilities location Onoto can be still named as British pen manufacturer.

TheRedBeard
13 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Ran across this thread again just now.  I picked up a Platinum "Italic Set" this morning at an estate sale company's warehouse sale.  Couldn't find any sort of date on the packaging (and the "instruction sheet" seems to be missing -- I had hoped for some sort of copyright notice).  The fine print on the cardboard insert separating the pen from the other nib units says "MENTMORE MANUFACTURING CO LTD" and then below it says "STEVENAGE/HERTS SG1 2AY/ENGLAND".

I was also amused by the warning to NOT use waterproof India inks above the "Mentmore" part.  The pen seems to be a squeeze filler -- think "Parker 21" or "Pilot Metropolitan Con-B converter".  

Did I need Yet Another™ calligraphy set?   Nb: I've never used 3 of the nib units on the Parker Vector set; and haven't even had the Sheaffer calligraphy set -- I THINK the pen is a No Nonsense -- out of the box yet, other than to inspect the condition of the four cartridges included... so, probably not -- but the Sheaffer set was eight bucks two weeks ago at the same antiques shop where I got that Waterman Exclusive awhile back; and the Platinum set was four bucks....  

Some information on history and links of Mentore and Platignum can be found here:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Mentmore_Manufacturing_Co

inkstainedruth

@ Karmachanic -- Yeah, Platinum.  Stupee autocorrect....  Thought I'd caught all of those.

@TheRedBeard. -- thanks for posting the link.  I'll check that out.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...
milkpowder

I only just learned that Yard-o-Led does their manufacturing in Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. Having moved to Birmingham 5 years ago, it's nice to know this! 

My humble stable: Parker Duofold Centennial GT, Conway Stewart 27 Plum Hatched, Pelikan M600, Faber Castell Ambition, Platinum PTL-5000, Kaweco Classic Sport, a small herd of Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Joy, a clutch of Parker 51 aeros and vacs, and a bunch of Pilot 78G

TheRedBeard
26 minutes ago, milkpowder said:

I only just learned that Yard-o-Led does their manufacturing in Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. Having moved to Birmingham 5 years ago, it's nice to know this! 

Yes, it is. And it is very nice thing.

• 2 months later...

What do you guys think about this Asprey Onoto? Compared to regular Onotos.

spacer.png

On 2/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, TheRedBeard said:

Onoto still has its manufacturing in the UK though the company was taken over by Chinese in 2016.

definitely need more info on this.  Is this like Volvo situation or Onotos now made in China? 

TheRedBeard
1 hour ago, Hanoi said:

definitely need more info on this.  Is this like Volvo situation or Onotos now made in China? 

Onoto still manufactures its pens in the UK and keeps all production facilities there so far. It is only fully owned by Chinese now.

Do the Chinese own any other pen companies? 

TheRedBeard
13 hours ago, Hanoi said:

Do the Chinese own any other pen companies? 

Are you asking about UK pen manufacturers? 

I don't know... 

I only know for sure that YOL is still owned by British.