What's Your Favorite Vintage Esterbrook Nib?

donnweinberg

It is recommended to clean a NOS nib prior to the first use, to help clean off any leftover manufacturing residue .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estycollector

• corgicoupe

• gweimer1

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you need to resize your avatar, Gary.  The sunglasses have disappeared.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Thanks for advice on cleaning 🙂

But how do you do the clean ?

I really like the 2556. I like firm

9556 i have 2 but medium is better

for just fun. i just got the 9460 cause it looked very firm.  i will clean this Gweimer1.

You can flush the nib with an ear wax bulb.  Just be sure to hold on to the end so  you don't shoot the nib out the end.

• 1 year later...

For a daily writer, I pull the nib out of the nib assembly, and replace it with a modern Chinese nib that I get off eBay.

The tipping is SMOOTH and makes for a nice writer.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 months later...

Of all the nib units I own or have tried, it's the 9314-M (medium relief) that takes top spot, closely followed by the 2314-B. Mostly because the 9314-B writes just a bit more smoothly than my 2314-Bs. Overall, though, I'd have to pick the nib on my Esterbrook Relief 2-L as my absolute favourite.

2 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

...Overall, though, I'd have to pick the nib on my Esterbrook Relief 2-L as my absolute favourite.

Please, what nib is that? It's unfamiliar. Thanks.

4 hours ago, PPPR said:

Please, what nib is that? It's unfamiliar. Thanks.

It's a medium left oblique 14ct gold nib, marked Esterbrook "Relief", no. 2 size, made in England. It's a permanent fit rather than being a Renew-Point unit. I believe these pens were made for Esterbrook by Conway Stewart.

Only a subtle line variation but it's a smooth springy nib and a very pleasant writer.

15 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

It's a medium left oblique 14ct gold nib, marked Esterbrook "Relief", no. 2 size, made in England. It's a permanent fit rather than being a Renew-Point unit. I believe these pens were made for Esterbrook by Conway Stewart.

Only a subtle line variation but it's a smooth springy nib and a very pleasant writer.

Oh geez, something else to keep an eye out for.

Very neat. Thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite vintage Esterbrook nib is the 9461 Rigid Fine, closely followed by the 2556 Firm Fine.

(My 9556 Firm Fine nib is 1/2 turn/180° from lining up with the fill lever. The 2556 lines up, so I use that nib. Yeah ... Yeah ... I know ... being lined up or not doesn't affect the functionality. However, it does look better when they line up. Just like the fill lever and clip lined up when capped or posted looks better.)

• 2 weeks later...

And now I have a new favourite - my new 9314-B broad relief nib. It's replaced the time-worn nib on a Relief 66 and I think it's going to get a lot of use.

• 4 weeks later...

That I own and use:

9460 and 2556.

I have a 9556, but can't get it closer than 90° to lining up with the fill lever.

The 2556 and 9460 properly align on/in the respective pens, so I use them.

8 hours ago, afishhunter said:

I have a 9556, but can't get it closer than 90° to lining up with the fill lever.

Try a Dip-Less pen and inkwell. You'll never have to worry about alignment again.