What's Your Favorite Vintage Esterbrook Nib?

donnweinberg

Okay, so if I want to try a flexy nib - as broad as possible, what is the recommendation? (I have more pens around here then I am comfortable mentioning, lest my children discover)... :)

You are talking about Esterbrook, right? The renew nibs are really not flex. The only nibs I find with any real flex are the wartime "teardrop" nibs. The profile is much longer, so they have some wiggle. I would look for a 9048 from that era, if you can find one. They aren't easy to find.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estycollector

• corgicoupe

• gweimer1

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it’s the 9460. I’ve been using it exclusively for a while now. I was going to buy a couple more but the usual places are sold out.

I should try out a 9668, but for now my favourite is the 9460.

You are talking about Esterbrook, right? The renew nibs are really not flex. The only nibs I find with any real flex are the wartime "teardrop" nibs. The profile is much longer, so they have some wiggle. I would look for a 9048 from that era, if you can find one. They aren't easy to find.

You would recognize a wartime 9048 by longer tines?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I believe so, yes. The teardrop breather hole is a dead giveaway. Even the 9668 in this photo has some flex to it.
fpn_1498613141__esterbrook_nibs_5.jpg

I believe so, yes. The teardrop breather hole is a dead giveaway. Even the 9668 in this photo has some flex to it.

fpn_1498613141__esterbrook_nibs_5.jpg

Thanks very much for this picture. That makes it apparent that the tines of the left nib are longer and will be more flexible. Thanks again! Now I'll know what to look for. I do find Wartime pens interesting. My parents' war and their time, which fascinates me. Thanks for the pic..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, gweimer1 said:

I really dislike disagreeing with Gary, but I find my 2048 to be more flexible than my 9048 [both obtained from Gary with pens attached].

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

20 hours ago, corgicoupe said:

I really dislike disagreeing with Gary, but I find my 2048 to be more flexible than my 9048 [both obtained from Gary with pens attached].

The 2048 nib is more like the original dip pen nib than one of the fountain pen nibs.  There is a world of difference between the 2048 and 9048.  So, you're not exactly disagreeing with me.  Outside of that one nib, I will stand by what I stated before.

Agreed... Even the shape of the 2048 mimics the shape of the 048 dip pen, whereas the 9048 does not.

Robert Frost

A 2668 that has an easy to find sweet spot. Ridiculously smooth writer, and even smoother than any of my Binderized nibs.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I have a 9788 nib in one and a 2668 and 9668 in the others. I think the 9788 gets more use. 

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

I currently have 2442, 2550, 2556, 3668, 9128, 9550, 9668, 9668 dip pen, 9668 desk pen. 

Currently the nib I like most out of the lot is  2556. Its nothing special, but is a good writing nib for me.

Most disappointing nib for me out of the lot was 9128. I guess I expected too much form that one :(.

3668 is also a nice nib.

458730859_IMG_20201214_130432(1).thumb.jpg.305640594718bd4f7a617d86debb8506.jpg

I have found that, for me, the best way to use my 9128 is to treat it as an extra fine and not make any attempt to flex the nib.

Two that you might enjoy are the 9314-F or -M, and the 2048 or 9048.

I have all of the ones you've listed except the 3550 & 3668, and find them all very nice to use.

Robert Frost

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the education all of you, i just inked w Quink a transitional J  And 9556. I am a newbie w all of this. I love my Nib. But as Sgt. Schultz says "I Know Nothing ".

If you want a fairly cheap, non-flexy pen for daily use either with a fine or medium line, vintage esterbrook is the way to go. They are almost unbreakable, can take a lot of abuse and still work. No need to worry about dropping or even accidentally stepping on them (don't try though :P ). Barrels are also very easy to polish. There is no plating to worry about. Also very easy to clean.

If you are after flex then easerbrook is not the way to go. I would go with any pre 1900 flex nib. But they need to be looked after and is not suitable for daily use.

On 12/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, shalitha33 said:

I currently have 2442, 2550, 2556, 3668, 9128, 9550, 9668, 9668 dip pen, 9668 desk pen. 

Currently the nib I like most out of the lot is  2556. Its nothing special, but is a good writing nib for me.

Most disappointing nib for me out of the lot was 9128. I guess I expected too much form that one :(.

3668 is also a nice nib.

458730859_IMG_20201214_130432(1).thumb.jpg.305640594718bd4f7a617d86debb8506.jpg

I do agree regarding the 2556. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

The medium left oblique on my 2-L is my favorite overall.

As far as renew points: 2668, 3556, 3968,9450, and 9668 are in my top five, though 9460 could be interchanged with the 9668....

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I like the left oblique on my Relief 2-L as well, but I think mine is a Fine.

Robert Frost

• 2 weeks later...

So do we usually clean a NOS that has been in a little cardboard case somewhere. Renew point 2668 i cleaned a gtt. Of Dawn then ultrasound. And thoroughly cleaning w tap water. Then drying. Theb bacj in did i do this correctly the Nib unit seems better vis a vis before where i had gook and nonstarting. Time will tell. Thanks for telling me what y'all do