What's Your Favorite Vintage Esterbrook Nib?

donnweinberg

For those FPN members at least somewhat familiar with vintage Esterbrook fountain pens, what is your favorite among the many vintage Esterbrook nibs? One might ask in reply, "Favorite for which purpose?" Let's not get bogged down in technicalities. If you want to discuss your favorite for a particular purpose, feel free to do so.

At this point, I use my vintage Esterbrooks for general writing and my signature. My favorite is the # 9788 -- flexible medium. I enjoy the modest springiness of the nib as I write, and to me it has an overall luxurious feel when writing.

What say you?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estycollector

• corgicoupe

• gweimer1

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first Esterbrook I ever saw was in an antique store. It looked as if it needed some repair but its price was modest so I brought it home. It needed a new sac and I had not yet learned how to do that, so I had it repaired--especially because I loved its nib when I dipped it. It had a 2314 Medium Relief nib. So much fun!

And your interesting query reminds me that it should be back in my rotation.

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

9048, 9314-F. Then maybe the 9312 and 2312.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

9968 Firm Broad

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

9461. I don't sell 9461 nibs to nobody. :P

Given your wide range of experience, any nib that commands that much respect is significant. I am using a 9460 today.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I forgot about the 9460 manifold medium that I used when I was still working. Rugged and with a perfect flow rate, just a little less than most medium nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I forgot about the 9460 manifold medium that I used when I was still working. Rugged and with a perfect flow rate, just a little less than most medium nibs.

Thank you. Knowing it was considered a medium explains how it performs and the amount of ink applied.

Given your wide range of experience, any nib that commands that much respect is significant. I am using a 9460 today.

A friend was selling a box of them on Ebay a number of years ago. Cheap. I knew the guy and thought he was nuts. But that didn't stop me from buying them - and others that I find.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The tipped nibs are supposed to be better, but somehow i dont usually enjoy writing with them. The ubiquitous 9668 is a pretty good all around nib, but im just not a medium person. If i had to pick one it would be the 9128 because i got it from my mother and its softer than the other 9xxx nibs.

I do enjoy the untipped nibs, especially the 2442 and 2314-M. I have tried 9314 nibs and theyre not as pleasant to write with. Too rigid maybe.

If i had to pick just one? 2314-M. Sorry mom.

The tipped nibs are supposed to be better, but somehow i dont usually enjoy writing with them. The ubiquitous 9668 is a pretty good all around nib, but im just not a medium person. If i had to pick one it would be the 9128 because i got it from my mother and its softer than the other 9xxx nibs.

I do enjoy the untipped nibs, especially the 2442 and 2314-M. I have tried 9314 nibs and theyre not as pleasant to write with. Too rigid maybe.

If i had to pick just one? 2314-M. Sorry mom.

I like the 9128, but not for flex. I do agree that the 2314-M is nice, and the 2314 nibs are nice, with a sweet smoothness. Most of the Esterbrook nibs are so nice that it's hard to choose. Each one I use feels so nice. I have so many favorites!

The reason I use Parker 51, Montblanc 144 and Sheaffer Imperial is that those pens have become sentimental favorites from long use and personal connections. The Esterbrook nibs are great fun to use, though.

:lol:

Good that I already have one then, isn't it? ;)

I really need to get some of those Esties in my stash up and running so I can figure out which nibs I actually do like. I have a few 2xxx nibs, and my first one, an SJ, has a 1555 Gregg nib on it which isn't too bad for having folded over tines, and then nearly all of the 9xxx nibs at this point. But a 9312 has so far eluded me; I also keep hoping to find an 8440 Cartography nib for the husband (aka "Mr. BIC fine point"), in case any of the regular EF nibs don't meet with his approval once I get the red J resacced for him.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I, too, find the 1555 Gregg nib to work without fail in a desk pen. An elderly lady in our pen club was a stenographer in a former life and commented that they always started. She kept two loaded with ink.

I'm going to have to go back through my nibs to select a few favorites.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I was able to purchase a few NOS nibs years ago at an office supply store that had a box hidden in the basement. I soooo wish that I had bought more! I went straight for various F/EF options and now wish I had tried some B options and a few others.

I do notice intra product variability amoung my 2556. Some have the later rounded and some the ancient flat feeds. As I have learned from the fine folks here, the old dip 556 was a popular nib choice. While I tend to seek out the rare nibs, the fact that so many 2556 exits tells me these were the ones of choice for many users back in the day.

https://theesterbrookproject.com/NIB%20SHEETS/ESTERBROOK%20556%20ADVANCED%20SCHOOL/ESTERBROOK%20556%20ADVANCED%20SCHOOL.html

Edited by Estycollector

My favorite nib! I have a few pens that use one exclusively.

Others I like - 9668, 9668 wartime (the teardrop breather version has a longer profile and has a little flex), 9314-F, 9284, 9048

My favorite nib! I have a few pens that use one exclusively.

Others I like - 9668, 9668 wartime (the teardrop breather version has a longer profile and has a little flex), 9314-F, 9284, 9048

You realize of course, that we're never going to find them again after this. Maybe I should delete my post....

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.