Moonman M8

Does anybody own a Moonman M8 gold or silver foil?

Is the design printed?

Thanks.

Had489ace0a2b4309a3a013fbf7a80341X.jpg

Edited by mke

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• MadAsAHatter

• Helen350

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've only seen one review of this pen and in that one the section had splintered away from the barrel, which didn't bode well. I was quite tempted until I saw that review and I've been searching for reviews of it since with little success. There are a few Youtube reviews in which it appears to be inlaid in some way. Amazon UK has them for sale (has for some time) but not a single review

I just received one with gold foil last week.. It is actual pieces of foil and not just a design printed on the pen. When I look closely I can also see sprinkles of gold dust throughout. it looks very attractive in person.

I'm not sure if this is the way it is done but it appears that the gold foil is placed on the pen then a clear finish is sprayed over it. Whatever way it is done, the gold foil is embedded into the clear.

Edited by MadAsAHatter

Yes, was MadAsHatter is saying is correct. I am presently using my M8. Love the visual aspect, but unlike all the rest of my Moonmans [Moonmen?] the nib is not very well adjusted and is a bit rough.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

but unlike all the rest of my Moonmans [Moonmen?] the nib is not very well adjusted and is a bit rough.

Erick

I will agree. The nib did not come adjusted very well. Right out the box the tines were too close together and it had very little ink flow. I had to pull them apart, but now that I have everything situated it writes well and pretty smooth like my other Moonman nibs.

• 2 weeks later...

My M8 is currently in Indiana. Ordered it on May 27th. Hopefully it will arrive

to me around Tuesday of next week. Mine has gold leaf. Hoping to have a

decent writing experience (after some nib tweaking). Chrisrap52, Douglas

Rathbun and OdE did reviews of the M8 on YouTube. Chrisrap did 3 vids,

with one comparing it to the Fuliwen 017.

The Moonman wooden pens are the same as this; at least I think they are. Have these dryout problems or was that limited to the wooden ones?

I do not have a dryout problem with the nib.

But it is true that I needed to tweak the nib a bit to get a better flow; I will still have to play with it to get it completely right.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

OK, let's see - mine is now on the airplane.

Perhaps for everyone who ordered or intends to do so, please tell us, how you got the pen/nib to work properly.

The Moonman wooden pens are the same as this; at least I think they are. Have these dryout problems or was that limited to the wooden ones?

I haven't had any dry-out issues. Same as Erick the only issue I had was poor ink flow when it arrived, but a quick nib adjustment took care of that.

OK, let's see - mine is now on the airplane.

Perhaps for everyone who ordered or intends to do so, please tell us, how you got the pen/nib to work properly.

You may get lucky and it writes well out the box. To get mine going, basically I followed this video: http://penhabit.com/2015/01/16/adjusting-your-fountain-pen-part-1-ink-flow/

At about the 8 min mark is where he starts explaining what I was seeing with the nib. At the 9:30 mark he explains about lightly pulling on the shoulders. Doing that got the ink flow going for me. I skipped over to part 2 "Aligning the tines" after that but I didn't need much adjustment in that department. It wrote smoothly enough for my liking so I didn't do much polishing and left it where it was.

I ordered an S1 at the same time. It uses a #5 nib, but it had the same ink flow problems. The same procedure got it writing well.

Edited by MadAsAHatter

> To get mine going, basically I followed this video

Thank you. Mine is still in the mail.

Sometimes is a dry-writing pen not so bad as I can use wet inks with bad paper.

Anyway, I will report back.

I bought the abalone version with larger pieces, and also have a problem with ink flow and scratchy nib. Will try the video link.....

Love the pen optically, and have bought the other abalone version too. May have to invest in some replacement nibs.

Now 9 days later my M8 is still stranded in Indiana. It had already gone through Customs, and had shipped from the

West Coast to Indiana. Can't understand why it is still locked away in Indiana. :gaah:

Just got mine.

First impression: very nice but very unevenly distributed gold flakes. Accepted as it was only $20.

Size is about a MB149. Lies very nice in the hand.

As most people already said, the nib is flawed. The space between the tines in the front half is very tight.

So, it writes more than dry.

What does it mean - see here:

fpn_1593777376__moonman.jpg

(non-natural light, it is evening here)

As much as I like the pen, I will only give two points. They should not sell such a flawed pen.

Edited by mke

> size of a jinhao 159?

No, it is a little bit bigger than a X750, and a little bit smaller than a MB149.

I don't have a MB146 to compare with.

I'm pretty much done with the Moonman nib. It developed a super narrow sweet spot and anything outside of it barely puts down ink. I don't know if i did something or if the metal started to recoil back to its original shape from memory of the metal. Either way the nib is junk and I've swapped it out. I have a Jinhao M in it for the moment but I really want to try an Edison EF. I need to buy one of those first.

On the size, it is a bit bigger than my Jinhao X450 & X750. When I get home this afternoon I'll do some measurements with my calipers and report back.

Here are some dimensions

Cap: 15.8 mm wide x 61.3 mm long

Grip: 11 mm wide x 19 mm long

Body: 14 mm wide x 87 mm long

104 mm capped

127 mm uncapped

166 mm posted

Here's a pic of it next to a Conklin Duragraph for a bit of reference.

IMG_20200706_182817.jpg

My M8 finally arrived yesterday afternoon. Inked with a MontBlanc ink. Did do just a bit of nib smoothing last

nite, and I now have a nice writing experience. Could have been just two additional flecks, but overall love

the looks of the pen.

fpn_1594094739__moonman_m8c.jpg