The Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy Appreciation Thread

fpupulin

Hi All. I hope a dissenting view — one of lack of appreciation — won’t offend anyone in this thread. I enjoy flex/calligraphic pens, have a number of high quality and vintage ones, and didn’t really need it want another. Still, when MB came out with one, I assumed it would be of unrivaled quality and even an improvement of what MB offered to the Golden Age of flex nibs. It seemed to be a must-have. I sank $1700+ into the one with the gold trim, presumably unique to each pen.

As a physical object, it’s stunning, but it’s performance makes the investment look like a big mistake. I can’t expect it to write from day to day without priming it first — adjusting the piston filler to get a drop of ink flowing. And, if you want to do any flexing with it, some additional priming is required. Once it’s up and running, railroading is a constant problem, and, even if you try to compensate by writing/flexing very slowing, it’s not totally avoidable. Truly a product unworthy of bearing Montblanc’s imprimatur. Buyer beware.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• invisuu

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All. I hope a dissenting view one of lack of appreciation wont offend anyone in this thread. I enjoy flex/calligraphic pens, have a number of high quality and vintage ones, and didnt really need it want another. Still, when MB came out with one, I assumed it would be of unrivaled quality and even an improvement of what MB offered to the Golden Age of flex nibs. It seemed to be a must-have. I sank $1700+ into the one with the gold trim, presumably unique to each pen.

As a physical object, its stunning, but its performance makes the investment look like a big mistake. I cant expect it to write from day to day without priming it first adjusting the piston filler to get a drop of ink flowing. And, if you want to do any flexing with it, some additional priming is required. Once its up and running, railroading is a constant problem, and, even if you try to compensate by writing/flexing very slowing, its not totally avoidable. Truly a product unworthy of bearing Montblancs imprimatur. Buyer beware.

Thats not the same pen being discussed here.

A few more exercises of late July...

No hard starts, no railroading. Maybe mine is just a fortunate nib, but from the perspective of my nib at least, this product well deserves to be branded by Montblanc.

fpn_1596671191__montblanc_meisterstck_14

fpn_1596671343__montblanc_meisterstck_14

fpn_1596671385__montblanc_meisterstck_14

Hi All. I hope a dissenting view — one of lack of appreciation — won’t offend anyone in this thread. I enjoy flex/calligraphic pens, have a number of high quality and vintage ones, and didn’t really need it want another. Still, when MB came out with one, I assumed it would be of unrivaled quality and even an improvement of what MB offered to the Golden Age of flex nibs. It seemed to be a must-have. I sank $1700+ into the one with the gold trim, presumably unique to each pen.

As a physical object, it’s stunning, but it’s performance makes the investment look like a big mistake. I can’t expect it to write from day to day without priming it first — adjusting the piston filler to get a drop of ink flowing. And, if you want to do any flexing with it, some additional priming is required. Once it’s up and running, railroading is a constant problem, and, even if you try to compensate by writing/flexing very slowing, it’s not totally avoidable. Truly a product unworthy of bearing Montblanc’s imprimatur. Buyer beware.

Show us some photos of what you have. Is it the 149 Special Edition Calligraphy pen you are talking about? I'm surprised if it writes so poorly why you don't send it back to MB to get the ink flow issues rectified under warranty. No manufacturer is perfect, so that's what the warranty is for so they can make it right for their valued customers. It's puzzling why you'd just keep it like that and just complain about it.

Edited by max dog

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more of reflection on calligraphy, using the 149 Calligraphy:

fpn_1597541062__calligraphy_is_a_portrai

fpn_1597540906__not_an_adornment_of_word

Tomorrow I will try to do it again on a larger leaf in Spencerian writing.

Hello Mr Pupulin:

Great and delicate work.

The Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy has been very lucky to end up in your expert hands.

Thanks.

Regards.

I did this, on a good sheet of German Hahnemühle laid paper, which keeps the stroke of the pen in its exactness ...

fpn_1597753922__img-0755.jpg
but I forgot the "H" in "Harmony" ...
I did it again ...
fpn_1597753945__img-0757.jpg
... but I used a more porous paper (and I also chose the wrong side): the strokes bleed, the fine lines increase in thickness, the engrossments shed ...
It will have to be done again.

• 3 weeks later...

The beautiful calligraphy in this thread has moved this pen to the top of my wish list. However, I’m afraid the 149 is going to be too big for my hand. (I have a Pelikan M1000 that I find a bit cumbersome, despite a wonderful nib.) I do love the Le Grande size. Has this been an issue for anyone? Any chance of a flex nib 146?

However, I’m afraid the 149 is going to be too big for my hand. (I have a Pelikan M1000 that I find a bit cumbersome, despite a wonderful nib.) I do love the Le Grande size. Has this been an issue for anyone? Any chance of a flex nib 146?

Effectively, there has been a lot less discussion about the flexible nib of the 146. I guess because it is a flexible medium nib, which is less apt for those calligraphy styles that require a pointed pen.

To my knowledge, among the offers of its Expression nibs, Montblanc has not produced in the 6 size any extra-fine, flexible nib comparable to that installed on the 149 Calligraphy .

Effectively, there has been a lot less discussion about the flexible nib of the 146. I guess because it is a flexible medium nib, which is less apt for those calligraphy styles that require a pointed pen.

To my knowledge, among the offers of its Expression nibs, Montblanc has not produced in the 6 size any extra-fine, flexible nib comparable to that installed on the 149 Calligraphy .

Thanks! I wish there was a Montblanc store close where I could try one of the 149s out. Usually when I want to try a pen I need to buy one and have it shipped. Thank god for FPN or I probably wouldn't even know about this pen.

Continuing to get use of the Montblanc 149 Calligraphy to reason, or to "ratiocinate", about calligraphy...

This time I used a laid, 100 g/m2 mould-made paper by the German Hahnemühle, called Ingres. It come in a A3 block with 20 leaves in 9 different colors. For this writing, I chose a dark grey, which I really enjoyed using.

The pic is not too dark... it is the paper that is dark!

fpn_1600194468__calligraphy_can_not_impr

I have been convinced by max dog's posts to try the Montblanc Blue Permanent, in spite of the warnings about being a clogging ink.

I still have to see what it will happens with my pen after a few refills, but I have to say that at first glance I love this ink. I really like the simple, unpretending shadow of blue, the controlled wetness that helps maintaining control of the fine strokes with the Calligraphy 149, the beautiful nuances that this ink is capable of with a flexible nib, and that it dries out so quickly.

Thank you, my friend, for the good suggestion!

fpn_1600617884__montblanc_149_calligrphy

Hi FPUPULIN. Wow that ink and those flexy lines look so beautiful in your hand. I'm glad you like the ink. 🙂 It's such a wonderful ink on so many levels. If I could only take one ink with me to a deserted island, it would be the MB Permanent Blue.

I have been convinced by max dog's posts to try the Montblanc Blue Permanent, in spite of the warnings about being a clogging ink.

I still have to see what it will happens with my pen after a few refills, but I have to say that at first glance I love this ink. I really like the simple, unpretending shadow of blue, the controlled wetness that helps maintaining control of the fine strokes with the Calligraphy 149, the beautiful nuances that this ink is capable of with a flexible nib, and that it dries out so quickly.

Thank you, my friend, for the good suggestion!

fpn_1600617884__montblanc_149_calligrphy

Franco...

You even make Permanent Blue look good. Out of curiosity have you used MB Royal Blue with the Calligraphy Nib?

All the Best.

David

Edited by NeverTapOut